Author Topic: Windows XP Shutdown  (Read 2650 times)

dve83

Windows XP Shutdown
« on: October 19, 2010, 06:49:42 PM »
Hi installed the latest version of Avast Free Edition and I seem to be having problem with shutting down. The moment I click on "Turn off My computer" the cursor turns to an Hourglass and stays that way. It does not shut down.

I have followed other instructions from this forum to install WIndows Hive CLeanup software. Still made no difference.

Id appreciate any help on this.

Many thanks
D

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
Re: Windows XP Shutdown
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2010, 07:00:23 PM »
Hi installed the latest version of Avast Free Edition and I seem to be having problem with shutting down. The moment I click on "Turn off My computer" the cursor turns to an Hourglass and stays that way. It does not shut down.

I have followed other instructions from this forum to install WIndows Hive CLeanup software. Still made no difference.

Id appreciate any help on this.

Many thanks
D
Have you tried a repair of avast though add remove programs then try reboot,if that doesn't work are you able to force shutdown so you can start up in safe mode to delet avast and do a fresh install.

dve83

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2010, 06:45:22 AM »
HI I've uninstalled avast, only to find that the problem persists. Now I'm having my doubts that Avast is causing the problem. For now I will accept that the problem might lie elsewhere - unless you have any other ideas. Have now reinstalled avast (after restart).

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2010, 08:51:56 AM »
Sounds like a problem with one of the driver's, can you check device manager. If nothing shows up there i would try a restore to a point before this happened.

SafeSurf

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2010, 10:19:12 AM »
@ dve83,

How often do you clean up your machine?  Many of us here use CCleaner, a freeware system optimization, privacy and cleaning tool.  There is a Slim version available as well at http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/builds - 4th option down.  It removes unused files (cache, temporary Internet files, etc.) from your system - allowing Windows to run faster and freeing up valuable hard disk space.  It also cleans traces of your online activities such as your Internet history.  Additionally it contains a fully featured registry cleaner (I suggest making a backup as a "just in case in My Documents"). 

Do you know what software was running prior to shutting down (check Task Manager)?

Depending on your OS, you may also want to defrag it once in a while.  There are many good free defrag tools available and you will get many opinions on what to use.  I use free Puran, which also offers a boot-time defrag http://www.puransoftware.com/Puran-Defrag.html.

If you made changes to your system prior to shutting down, your machine will also be setting those changes and depending on your hardware it make take longer than with others.  These are just a few suggestions.  This does not sound like an Avast problem.