Author Topic: Considering a change to avast (paid)--Why did you switch from Norton to avast?  (Read 6083 times)

dagrev

As the question says I'm considering changing to avast Internet Suite and wondered why others have done so and are they happy with this change. 

(I assume this has been asked before, but I couldn't find it.)

Thanks

Offline wonderwrench

In my case I have used Avast Home/Free for years. When Avast 5 came out I kind of fell in love with it. I figured it was time to give something back to Avast so I purchased a AIS 2 year license. The price was fair and the upgrade process was smooth as silk. I like the added protection of the script shield, sand box and quiet firewall. BTW I got to play with NIS 2010 on my wife's new laptop prior to purchasing AIS. I picked AIS over NIS mainly because of the GUI layout and better pricing. The GUI in Avast is less cluttered and more logically laid out IMO. In the end it comes down to personal choice. I feel I made the right choice for me.

Bill 
Main Box*i7 930*GB X58A-UD3R*3x4 gig Patriot DDR3 1600 EL*EVGA GTX 460 1 gig*Intel X25-M G2 80 gig*WD 2TB Green*ASUS DRW-24B3LT*Samsung SH-S223L*LG WH14NS40*Corsair AX750*Rosewill Challenger case*Windows 8 Pro 64 bit*Avast 8 Free 8.0.1482*MBAM Pro*Firefox 19.0.1*NoScript

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Norton improved latest versions in performance. The protection is good.
But I won't even doubt on keeping avast over Norton. I'm still doubting they have the same support level. avast performance and configurability are very high and you can set the program according to your needs. Protection level of avast is higher in a lot of tests.
The best things in life are free.

Offline firzen771

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
In my case I have used Avast Home/Free for years. When Avast 5 came out I kind of fell in love with it. I figured it was time to give something back to Avast so I purchased a AIS 2 year license. The price was fair and the upgrade process was smooth as silk. I like the added protection of the script shield, sand box and quiet firewall. BTW I got to play with NIS 2010 on my wife's new laptop prior to purchasing AIS. I picked AIS over NIS mainly because of the GUI layout and better pricing. The GUI in Avast is less cluttered and more logically laid out IMO. In the end it comes down to personal choice. I feel I made the right choice for me.

Bill 

script shield is kinda pointless IMO, since its restricted ONLY to IE and ONLY for 32bit systems, and thers already the webshield which would scan for malicious scripts on web pages so i really dont see the benefit of the script shield other than simple marketting for the professional version, altho the fact that ur getting a sandbox with the AV for only aprox $30 is quite amazing considering sandboxie costs more than that alone, even for their yearly licenses
Windows 7 x64 / Windows Firewall OFF / UAC OFF
Real-Time: Avast Internet Security / WinPatrol

dagrev

Thanks for the good reports.

Anyone see the review by this guy (fuzzybanana)? http://www.youtube.com/user/FuzzyBanana92#p/u/1/186NFVkpnfQ

He does a video review where he goes to known bad sites and sees how the AV works.  He did this with several (avast, Norton, etc).  I know it depends on where you go, but it seems Norton did a better job.  avast allows several more in to the PC.  After seeing that I'm a little more concerned about avast being my primary AV.  I know in other more official testing it rated about the same detection rate as Norton.  Decisions, decisions!

YoKenny

Please read:
Can testing paid for by an AV company be trusted? by Vincent Steckler 
http://blog.avast.com/2009/10/30/dennis-technology-labs-vs-vince-technology-labs-can-testing-paid-for-by-an-av-company-be-trusted

Welcome and Why I Joined Avast by Vincent Steckler 
http://blog.avast.com/2009/07/20/welcome-and-why-i-joined-avast

Mr.Agent

script shield is kinda pointless IMO, since its restricted ONLY to IE and ONLY for 32bit systems, and thers already the webshield which would scan for malicious scripts on web pages so i really dont see the benefit of the script shield other than simple marketting for the professional version, altho the fact that ur getting a sandbox with the AV for only aprox $30 is quite amazing considering sandboxie costs more than that alone, even for their yearly licenses

Script shield is good but yeah its restricted to somes uses. But i cant find again the words of a employee or forum user he did a description of the script shield very usefull and described.

Its seem very good but with the Sandbox i agree its really awesome. U can really have a peace of mind with both of the features that is include and maybe the others features if there somes. ;)

Offline Charyb-0

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
In Internet Explore 8 if you disable protected mode you will see script shield in operation. So it does do something. IE8 already has settings to block unwanted scripts.  If you disable UAC then protected mode is also disabled in IE8.

I chose Avast because in AV comparatives it equalled or beat many of the larger vendors. It has a great interface and light on resources. I don't even notice that it is there.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2010, 12:44:36 AM by Charyb »

Offline firzen771

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
In Internet Explore 8 if you disable protected mode you will see script shield in operation. IE8 already has settings to block unwanted scripts. So it does do something. If you disable UAC then protected mode is also disabled in IE8.

I chose Avast because in AV comparatives it equalled or beat many of the larger vendors. It has a great interface and light on resources. I don't even notice that it is there.

well then can somebody explain to me exactly what the script shield does? the web shield already scans for malicious scripts, so someone please explain the specifics of the script shield
Windows 7 x64 / Windows Firewall OFF / UAC OFF
Real-Time: Avast Internet Security / WinPatrol

Offline Charyb-0

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
I can only assume that it performs some, not all, of the same duties as what is shown in the Security tab in Internet options. I have no way of backing that up though and have never heard that from the Avast team.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2010, 12:59:35 AM by Charyb »

Morgoth Bauglir

In the old days, I liked Norton.  I knew Peter Norton back in the 80s.  I trulyliked his programmes.  The initial
Symantec Norton Series were pretty neat as well.  However, over the years, I had more and more trouble with the
complete suites.  Under XP and Vista, the errors went from bad to nightmarish.  In the end, the Symantec software
prevented some of my graphic cards from working (I have an extensive network).  Integration of the various suites,
although technically possible, proved virtually impossible in practice.  The last suites I bought was the 2006
series.  Then I tried NOD, Panda, Kaspersky, McAfee and several free programmes.  Finally, someone within the US
Department of Defense suggested Avast Antivirus.  This was the best I ever had and nowadays I swear by it.  I
upgraded from Antivirus to Internet Security and haven't regretted it a bit.  Haven't had a single infection since I
use Avast (Under Norton, you had to download specific cleaning programmes apart from the Antivirus software itself)
and my network is online 24/24 7/7 since years now.  While Symantec's service and support declined as the years went
by, Avast Service and support improved (not that it was bad at first, it just got better).

YoKenny

@Charyb

Please go to PROFILE then Modify Profile then Forum Profile Information then Please select your country: then Signature: and put information about your system just like my signature about your system just like my signature so that the helpers can offer pertinent advice.

I read this article and found it interesting:
What does Internet Explorer protected mode do?
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/What-does-Internet-Explorer-protected-mode-do

dagrev

Interesting thoughts.

Mr.Agent

In Internet Explore 8 if you disable protected mode you will see script shield in operation. IE8 already has settings to block unwanted scripts. So it does do something. If you disable UAC then protected mode is also disabled in IE8.

well then can somebody explain to me exactly what the script shield does? the web shield already scans for malicious scripts, so someone please explain the specifics of the script shield

I dont remember and cant find the link but i think its has something to do with a thing.... I think an avast! team will can explain you better... ;)