Author Topic: Avast 5 Web Shield blocking browser access  (Read 16283 times)

Mattix

Avast 5 Web Shield blocking browser access
« on: October 20, 2010, 08:31:55 AM »
Following up on DelYunque's posting against a February problem: 

Suddenly, late last week, could not access internet through web browsers. It took me HOURS of effort to finally figure out that Web Shield was blocking all browser access to the Internet. (I recently upgraded to Avast 5.0.677 (last week)). Assumed it was a port issue, since program updates went through fine, but every web site in every browser returned "Waiting for xxx(google, youtube, whateversite)", but no access to any site.

Finally started closing down firewalls, malware fighters, etc., until I got to Avast and found that by turning off Web Shield, I could get through.  Checked posts to Avast Forum, found many complaints about responding to February posts, but no answers that address the actual problem.

Turning off a web module does not seem like the right answer.

XP/SP3/ Latest Chrome/Firefox Betas/Avast 5.0.677

SafeSurf

Re: Avast 5 Web Shield blocking browser access
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2010, 09:31:01 AM »
Hello Mattix and welcome to the forum.

What other security software do you currently and previously have/had on this machine (including antivirus, trial AV, firewall, and all other security software)?

How did you uninstall security software (vendor's uninstaller or another way)?

Have you checked to see if your firewall (FW) is blocking anything?

You say the problem began last week.  This is when you installed Avast 5.0.677 (Free, Pro or AIS ---- what version?).  When did you start using FF betas and did you make a change last week as well in anything else (software, updates, etc.)?

Have you checked for malware by running Avast scans or other type of scans like MBAM?  Thank you.

wy111

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2010, 10:44:34 AM »
I got the same problem last night. All working ok, then no web accesss. Today have disabled Web Shield and all ok.
Ok, I had done some updates, Java, CCleaner, ATI graphics and Adobe reader, but cannot see how these would affect Avast.

Running XP Pro with all updates and Avast 5.0.677. Firewall is PC tolls which has not been upgraded for ages

SafeSurf

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2010, 11:01:03 AM »
@ wy111,

What version of PCT FW are you running?  Did you check under Application Settings to see if anything from Avast is being blocked.  As I recall, there may be several things for Avast that show up with PCT FW there.

wy111

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2010, 11:23:56 AM »
Hi Safe Surf.
PC tools FW is 6.0.0.88. Nothing seems to be blocking Avast,and has not been upodated for ages. As Avast is auto update, I don't know when the last update of it was done, so cannot say if one has affected it's performance
Thanks
Dave

SafeSurf

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2010, 11:31:23 AM »
If you click on PCT Advance Mode, Application settings is there anything blocked by Avast or did you check under Advanced Mode?

Also did you click "Update" under your FW?

wy111

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2010, 12:42:30 PM »
Checked FW, no problems and up to date. Disabled FW, enabled Web Shield, still the same problem, no web access. OE works perfectly ok.
As I said earlier, it stopped working approx 23.00 last night(GMT)after installing mentioned updates, but cannot see for the life of me how 1 could cause this problem. Will have to dig deeper tonight
Thanks
Dave

Mattix

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2010, 06:08:24 AM »
I use Online Armor firewall, but turned it off in trying to isolate the problem; it turns off the Microsoft firewall when on, when OA is off, Microsoft FW defaults to on.

Don't really see what that would have to do with the fact that turning off the Web shield in Avast resolves the problem.  Clearly, there is some issue there.

I didn't uninstall any anti-malware/antivirus, other sw...just turned things off, until I found the culprit.

I use Avast Free on my home/play PC.  I know it's always more fun to blame the other stuff, but when multiple people can isolate a problem to turning off a specific module in Avast, seems like that's the place to look for bugs.

Mattix

Offline lukor

• Administrator
  • Super Poster
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2010, 09:08:27 AM »
Hi guys,

all traffic goes via WebShield, so if WebShield has a problem connecting to the Web - your browsers have it. If turning off the WebShield solves it for you, it really means, that the problem is that WebShield is blocked from accessing the Web. (or to be honest there might be other thing on the process of connecting your browser to the WebShield's proxy, but generaly what I have written is true). If you have updated avast! and then it started to happen, it really seems it should be your firewall blocking it - since during update the main service process (where WebShield and other avast! services are hosted) is modified and firewall might warn you about such change.

It these cases (with 3rd party firewall) we usually sugest giving the firewall a second chance to detect the changes. To do it you have to restart the avast! service. Which means:

1) disable avast self-defence in Setting/Troubleshooting - this is allows you to stop the main service
2) now stop avast! main service - go to Control panel/Service, find out Avast! Antivirus Service and Stop it
3) go to you firewall, find the entry for avastsvc.exe and delete it
4) now restart the service process - again in control panel
5) re-enable self-defence in avast!

You should see a popoup from the firewall, or an automatic rule addition for avast! process, both for outgoin and incomming traffic. The main service host both mail and webshield, so it listens on TCP port 12080 (for WebShield), it then need the right to accept incomming connection on that port, and it then connects to the webserver in behalf of the browser, so it needs the right to connect to Internet as well.

L.

SafeSurf

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2010, 10:25:08 AM »
@ Mattix,

Once you have done what Lukor has instructed, in your case with OA, you also want to do the following:

When you get the initial pop-up, click "Trust Always" and "Remember My Decision."  In addition, you want to make both Avast and OA (security software) as trusted exclusions.

The best way to exclude both OA and your AV is the following:

To exclude OA in Avast:
- Open the Avast GUI > Settings > Exclusions > Add > click on the pop-up window and find C:\Program Files\Online Armor* and click on the BOX to the left of the words (this excludes all subfolders as well).

To exclude Avast in OA:
- Open the OA GUI > Options > Exclusions > Add > click on the pop-up window and find C:\Program Files\Awil Software\ (for Avast).

Finally, open your OA GUI > Programs > untick "Hide Trusted" > make sure nothing from Avast is blocked or in red.  If it is, right click it and you will see a pop-up menu and change it to "Trust."

wy111

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2010, 08:36:59 PM »
Ok. Here we go again.
Put all my updates back to previous versions, no difference, still no web access.
Tried Lukor's answer, again no difference. Although, even with Avast totally disabled and removed from my firewall applications, I restarted my computer and Avastservice reappeared automatically again, without re-enabling Avast, odd.
So next thing, is totally uninstall Avast and reinstall, BUT, I do not have my registration key as I deleted my old emails. Can anyone tell me if it is findable in the registry or anywhere else.
I have been with Avast for a few years now and has never been a problem, so I want to stick with it and not go elsewhere.
Dave

SafeSurf

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2010, 09:06:47 PM »
@ wy111,

What product of Avast do you have (Free, Pro)? 

If it is Pro, you can contact Avast or ask Element 5 to resend you the Key http://www.avast.com/contacts > Sales Inquiry.

If it is Free, you can go to http://www.avast.com/license-center and have them resend you the information online.

Norrie

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2010, 09:52:31 PM »
Hi
I am having the same problem and am unable to follow the directions given by luxor
on #3 there is no settings on my firewall for avast.exe

I am unable to access email or browsers with avast running.

Please help.

Norrie

wy111

« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2010, 10:45:51 PM »
Uninstalled and cleared all remnants in safe mode(Files and Reg). Just reinstalled the FREE version, guess what?...................no web access until Web Shield disabled. FWall auto recognised Avastservice.
So, where do we go from here? Definately looks like a bug somewhere.
Dave

SafeSurf

« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2010, 09:21:17 AM »
@ wy111,

I got the same problem last night. All working ok, then no web accesss. Today have disabled Web Shield and all ok.  Ok, I had done some updates, Java, CCleaner, ATI graphics and Adobe reader, but cannot see how these would affect Avast.  Running XP Pro with all updates and Avast 5.0.677. Firewall is PC tolls which has not been upgraded for ages.
Since your problem developed all of a sudden, let's do a quick check for malware especially since you did some updates with Adobe and Java.  Please run a Full Scan with Avast; if anything comes up, put it in the Virus Chest, but post (screen shot if possible) what is in there (exact name/spelling).

Next, download MBAM, a free http://www.malwarebytes.org/ for an on-demand scanner.
·   Double Click mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
·   After install, click update so you have latest database before scanning.
·   Under Settings:
o   General: Automatically Save File After Scan Completes is checked off
o   Scanner SettingsCheck all boxes
o   Updater: Download and install update if available is checked off
·   Once the program has loaded, select "Perform FULL Scan", then click Scan.
·   The scan may take some time to finish, so please be patient.
·   When the disinfection scan is complete, a log will appear in Notepad and you may be prompted to Restart. (See Extra Note).
·   Click the “remove selected” button to quarantine anything found.  You will find the infection details under the Quarantine tab.
·   The log is automatically saved by MBAM and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
·   Copy & Paste the entire report in your next reply.