Author Topic: Avast 5 Web Shield blocking browser access  (Read 16244 times)

SafeSurf

Re: Avast 5 Web Shield blocking browser access
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2010, 09:32:50 AM »
@ Norrie,

3) go to you firewall, find the entry for avastsvc.exe and delete it

I am having the same problem and am unable to follow the directions given by luxor
on #3 there is no settings on my firewall for avast.exe.  I am unable to access email or browsers with avast running.
If there is no setting for Avast in your firewall (FW), then that explains why you cannot connect to the Internet/browsers or email.  

1. What FW do you have?  Have you tried uninstalling it per the vendor's instructions and doing a clean install?  If not, I suggest doing this and you should not have to follow the directions above...it should happen automatically on a clean install of your FW.  If it doesn't, then you will need to follow lukor's steps above.  Make sure your FW does not include an antivirus (AV) in it.

2. What version and product of Avast do have?  Version 5.0.677 is the latest version.  Products are Free, Pro, or AIS (which has a FW in it).

3. What is your OS, 32 or 64-bit?

4. What other security software do you currently have on your machine or in the past (including Antivirus, FW, trial security software, and other security software)?  

MABE54

« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2010, 10:41:40 AM »
Hello Guys!!!

I thought I was new here but my username existed already but I do not remember. I never had problems with Avast, until now.

The problem happened to me on 10/21/2010 just exactly as described above = All of the sudden no Browsers (IE8, Chrome, Seamonkey by default).  For me, all the messengers (Skype, Yahoo, G-Talk) and my e-mail work but not the browsers unless Web Shield in Avast if OFF. Another thing is that on the 10/20/2010 the auto-update failed until the 10/21/2010.

My system is a Windows 7 x64 with all updates. Avast is version 5.0.677. The Firewalls are Windows' one and COMODO. I didn't find Avast in the Windows FW so I added it without any positive outcome.

I too believe that something came with the update that was not intended. Please help.

Cheers,

MAB

wy111

« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2010, 04:58:00 PM »
Sorted at last ;D

Had MBAM on comp for a few years, anyway, did full scan.............zilch :-\
Did full Avast scan.............zilch  :-\

Looking on another post with similar problem, downloaded and ran Winsock repair utility................woopee  ;D So all now working as it should. Thanks for your patience folks.
Maybe the Winsock repair should be made into a sticky

Dave

MABE54

« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2010, 06:22:14 PM »
Same here, fixed. What was that???

Thanks,

MAB

greyhnds

« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2010, 12:20:44 AM »
Same problem as everyone else.  Just happened yesterday!  Can't find a solution and I know for sure that Avast is causing it.  Have to find another antivirus program I guess.

SafeSurf

« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2010, 12:39:31 AM »
I'm glad things are sorted out for the above posters.  Since I did alert the Avast Team about this issue and it appears to be a one-time event.  I do not see that looking for another AV software is warranted, but it is your decision.  I hope you will stick around.  Thank you again.  :)

Below are links in case they are needed for others looking for the Winsockfix Utility.

Winsockfix Utility:

Windows XP - http://majorgeeks.com/WinSock_XP_Fix_d4372.html

Vista - http://www.mydigitallife.info/2007/06/18/repair-and-reset-windows-vista-tcpip-winsock-catalog-corruption/

Windows 7 - http://windows7themes.net/winsock-fix-for-windows-7.html

Guardic

« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2010, 10:46:13 PM »
I have the same problem !
Last night I decided to uninstall my old Avast 4.8.0.0 and after installing the new version, I lost connection with the web. Everything else access the internet, Windows updates, Programs updates, etc, except the browsers. IE, Chrome and Firefox cannot open anything.
I uninstalled Avast. There was no other option for me...  :'(

Offline Charyb-0

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2010, 11:05:16 PM »
I have the same problem !
Last night I decided to uninstall my old Avast 4.8.0.0 and after installing the new version, I lost connection with the web. Everything else access the internet, Windows updates, Programs updates, etc, except the browsers. IE, Chrome and Firefox cannot open anything.
I uninstalled Avast. There was no other option for me...  :'(

There are options. Did you read through the information in this post? Did you attempt to implement any of the solutions given? There is a lot of useful information in this post. It's disappointing to read that someone is going to uninstall or threaten to uninstall without even trying to cure the problem. Not all problems are the fault of Avast!.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2010, 11:38:06 PM by Charyb »