Author Topic: Back from the darkside :-)  (Read 3940 times)

medway01

Back from the darkside :-)
« on: October 20, 2010, 11:58:34 PM »
This is just a soul cleaning confession, to make me feel better :-) I have a friend who knows little about computers, security isn't one of his strong points and his newish computer was messed up with a few Trojans, I managed to clean some of them off but in the end I used the computer recovery system to wipe the drive, I did check for root kits with Avast and a few other scanners to it seems OK.

The AV product he was using was disabled by one of these nasties so he want really impressed with it and wanted to try another product but wasn't sure what one, I suggested avast so I installed it, he wasn't so sure it was the one for him, he thought it was too quick, his old AV slowed his PC down a bit more than avast, so off went Avast, in came another AV suit, nope, not like that one either, to complicated, this went on for sometime, he tried one for two days but never liked it. As you can imagine I became a little fed up of this so I told him, pick one and be done with it, he asked about Avast again so I cleaned his PC of the junk he had and loaded up Avast but he still wasn't sure, I got a little mean and sent his email a load of test mails from GFI, once he saw Avast pick out every one he was impressed :-) Job done, eventually.

Thats it, I feel better now :-)

Problem begins when he gets a pop up from OA :-(

Offline superhacker

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • superhacker != super mario
Re: Back from the darkside :-)
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2010, 12:10:50 AM »
Is this a story or a success story or what?! ???
Dreams don't die, they just fall asleep.

SafeSurf

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2010, 04:07:59 AM »
I am familiar with both products.  Did your friend have OA on his system first, then do a new install of Avast?  There will be a one-time pop-up from OA asking him if OA wants to trust Avast since it is a security software.  If he did not answer the pop-up correctly, he may get the pop-up again.  What he needs to do if he gets the pop-up again is to click "Trust Always" and "Remember My Decision."

In addition, he needs to make both security programs as trusted exclusions.  The best way to exclude both OA and Avast is the following:

To exclude OA in Avast:
- Open the Avast GUI > Settings > Exclusions > Add > click on the pop-up window and find C:\Program Files\Online Armor* and click on the BOX to the left of the words (this excludes all subfolders as well).

To exclude Avast in OA:
- Open the OA GUI > Options > Exclusions > Add > click on the pop-up window and find C:\Program Files\Awil Software\ (for Avast).

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns that I can help you with.  Thank you.

medway01

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2010, 03:51:52 PM »
Is this a story or a success story or what?! ???

A success story :-) Avast all the way :-)

medway01

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2010, 04:02:09 PM »
I am familiar with both products.  Did your friend have OA on his system first, then do a new install of Avast?  There will be a one-time pop-up from OA asking him if OA wants to trust Avast since it is a security software.  If he did not answer the pop-up correctly, he may get the pop-up again.  What he needs to do if he gets the pop-up again is to click "Trust Always" and "Remember My Decision."

In addition, he needs to make both security programs as trusted exclusions.  The best way to exclude both OA and Avast is the following:

To exclude OA in Avast:
- Open the Avast GUI > Settings > Exclusions > Add > click on the pop-up window and find C:\Program Files\Online Armor* and click on the BOX to the left of the words (this excludes all subfolders as well).

To exclude Avast in OA:
- Open the OA GUI > Options > Exclusions > Add > click on the pop-up window and find C:\Program Files\Awil Software\ (for Avast).

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns that I can help you with.  Thank you.

Thanks Safesurf, He never used OA before, he just had an other product, I'm not saying it was bad but compared to Avast with OA it was pretty weak :-) I have excluded Avast from OA and visa versa and I added prevx ( he got off his bank ) to his set up as I think it added a bit more protection, I also excluded that in avast and visa versa, the PC is now running smooth considering its age. He cant believe how responsive his PC is now, such a big change.

When I first began using Avast I read lots of info in this forum and picked up on OA so tried it, I think I read one of your older posts about excluding one from each other, I would never have thought of that :-)

I also excluded the temp folder I think Avast uses for updates, I did it on my PC a while ago and it seems to have stopped OA popping up with warnings about file changes, I'm not sure if that was the right thing to do though ? What do you think ?

Thanks.

SafeSurf

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2010, 11:08:47 AM »
I also excluded the temp folder I think Avast uses for updates, I did it on my PC a while ago and it seems to have stopped OA popping up with warnings about file changes, I'm not sure if that was the right thing to do though ? What do you think ?
Everything else you did was correct.  But I'm not sure what you mean by the quote above "excluded the temp. folder" that "Avast uses for updates"?  Where is that?  Are you going into your C:/drive?  If so, there is no need to do this.  Just doing as I explained above is enough. 

See my Signature and you will see that I also have the same software and I did the exclusions as I explained above with no problems.

medway01

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2010, 03:10:18 PM »
Everything else you did was correct.  But I'm not sure what you mean by the quote above "excluded the temp. folder" that "Avast uses for updates"?  Where is that?  Are you going into your C:/drive?  If so, there is no need to do this.  Just doing as I explained above is enough. 

See my Signature and you will see that I also have the same software and I did the exclusions as I explained above with no problems.

The temp folder in question is located in windows 7 here:

C\Users\username\appdata\local\temp

The reason I excluded that folder was OA was popping up every time Avast updated, after reading your reply I now wonder if its just a quirk on this PC ?

( I *believe* this computer is clean and bug free, its a fresh install ( from an image ) and all software is legit and up to date and was scanned with Avast, Malwarebytes, windows defender, prexv and a few other scans before I created the image for backup. )

SafeSurf

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2010, 09:52:37 AM »
If everything is working for you the way you have it set up, then I'd leave it although I don't know of anyone who has had to do it the way you have done it.

In the future, you might want to try an uninstall and do a clean install of OA, while keeping Avast on with all shields and putting PrevX into install mode.  While installing OA, upon the FIRST pop-up of Avast, click "Trust Always," and "Remember My Decision."  If you do not do this on the first pop-up, you may get future pop-ups. 

BTW, what version of OA do you have?  You may want to add it to your Signature.  ;)