Author Topic: [Resolved] Browsing Internet Very Slow After Update  (Read 17600 times)

KN1957

[Resolved] Browsing Internet Very Slow After Update
« on: October 21, 2010, 03:39:42 AM »
Hello,

I'm using Avast Free 5.0.677.  About two evenings ago (around Monday, 10/18) I noticed that browsing has become very slow in both IE8 and FireFox.  For example, after typing in a word in a seach page, it takes a long time before finally "turning the page" to show some results.  Once a web site is reached, it seems to work a bit faster if you stay withing that site.  However, if you change to another, you have the lag again.  At first I thought it was our internet provider but conections and speed check out fine.

We rechecked this problem using a different computer (our laptop) with the same results.

As a test, I turned off the Avast Web Shield and tried a search, and it turned over very quickly.  Therefore, I believe the problem to be a recent Avast update.

Has anyone else noticed this?  Is there a solution?

Thanks,
Kurt
« Last Edit: October 27, 2010, 07:50:02 PM by KN1957 »

SafeSurf

Re: Browsing Internet Very Slow After Update
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2010, 03:47:56 AM »
Hi Kurt and welcome to the forum.  :)

Have you checked to see if anything is being blocked in your firewall (FW)?  Do both PC's use the same FW?

Are you getting any error messages from Avast?

What other security programs do you have on these machines currently and in the past (antivirus, FW, other security software)?

juliegnh

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2010, 01:16:55 PM »
I also have this problem, but it is pretty obvious since I only have 1.5 DSL service.  It slowed to .20 service when measured through speakeasy.net.  I called my provider and they had me stop Avast, power off/on the router and I had no problem.  After 10 minutes, Avast came back on and I continued to have no problem.  This machine had been powered off before I turned it on to test it.  My laptop (which has been on for several days still had an issue, so I rebooted it and sure enough, when it came back up the problem went away.....go figure!
« Last Edit: October 21, 2010, 01:33:47 PM by juliegnh »

YoKenny

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2010, 02:04:44 PM »
Kurt and juliegnh 

It helps to know your system specifications like amount of RAM and operating system and Service Pack level. 

juliegnh

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2010, 03:28:12 PM »
The first machine:  Win7 Ultimate 64-bit 4GB RAM (wireless connection)
The 2nd machine:  WinXP Home SP3  GB RAM (wired connection)

The first machine had been powered on for a few days and the 2nd I powered up per the Service provider who wanted to check a wired machine.  When we confirmed both machines had the problem, We shut off avast and the problem went away on machine 2.  I couldn't get as fast of a speed test to run on machine 1, so I rebooted and then everything was back to normal.  Avast is running on both machines.

KN1957

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2010, 10:17:54 PM »
Good Afternoon,

I am using Comodo Firewall (just the firewall is active), plus have Spybot Search & Destroy on the computer (not active; only opened for scans) and Malwarebytes (only used for scan).  This has all been on the computer for at least a year with no problem, and I am into my second year using Avast.  My system is Windows XP.  Everything changed abruptly the other evening.  Comodo was not updated; Windows Update was sometime prior to my problem with no change in performance.

There are no Avast error messages, it's just that the connection acts like a dial-up.  Sometimes sites will give me a "connection reset" error after they've been trying to open for some time, but normally it's just very slow.

Thanks,
Kurt

SafeSurf

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2010, 09:51:15 AM »
@ KN1957,

So if I understand you correctly, your machine is not acting right now and this happened all of a sudden.  But is this for both machines or just one?  Are you on a network or did you share any removable media between the two machines?

Here is a thread recently posted by an Avast Team member (Lukor - Post #8) regarding the Web Shield and third-party FW: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=65284.0 that may help you resolve your issue if it is your FW causing your issue.

However since your machine is acting differently, I'd like to also rule out malware with Malwarebytes’ Anti-Malware (MBAM).
·   Download free http://www.malwarebytes.org/ for an on-demand scanner.
·   Double Click mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
·   After install, click update so you have latest database before scanning.
·   Under Settings:
o   General: Automatically Save File After Scan Completes is checked off
o   Scanner SettingsCheck all boxes
o   Updater: Download and install update if available is checked off
·   Once the program has loaded, select "Perform FULL Scan", then click Scan.
·   The scan may take some time to finish, so please be patient.
·   When the disinfection scan is complete, a log will appear in Notepad and you may be prompted to Restart. (See Extra Note).
·   Click the “remove selected” button to quarantine anything found.  You will find the infection details under the Quarantine tab.
·   The log is automatically saved by MBAM and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
·   Copy & Paste the entire report in your next reply.

Next, please make sure your Avast definitions are current and run a Avast Full scan.  If an infection is identified, put it in the Virus Chest where it is safe (do NOT delete it).

After this, run an Avast Boot-time scan.  If anything is found on your Avast Full or Boot scans, please post the results with the exact spelling of the infections or if possible a screen shot of the Virus Chest as well.  But remember to cut and paste your MBAM scan as well.

Please let me know if you have any questions.  Thank you.

KN1957

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2010, 08:41:43 PM »
Hello,

The laptop normally does not go online for months at a time, as in this case.  I brought it down to try the internet connection and immediately updated everything from Windows to Avast.  When I then tried the internet, it acted slow as the main computer does.  In retrospect, I wish I'd at least tried a search before updating, for comparison.

On the firewall, I switched off Comodo and used the Windows firewall and the internet surfing remained slow.

One thing I've noticed, and this may simply be because of the slowness, is that "Looking up [whatever site] often remains in the lower left hand part of the screen while little happens.

Malwarebytes did not find anything.  I started an Avast boot-time scan but it was still at 1% after an hour, so I'm discontinuing until tonight and I'll let it run overnight.

Thanks,
Kurt

SafeSurf

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2010, 12:50:19 AM »
After following the instructions I posted earlier, you may also want to run the Winsockfix Utility for your OS since some users on the forum have reported an issue with this and slowing of their browsers and this seemed to have fixed their issue assuming it is not malware-related.

Winsockfix Utility:

Windows XP
- http://majorgeeks.com/WinSock_XP_Fix_d4372.html

Vista - http://www.mydigitallife.info/2007/06/18/repair-and-reset-windows-vista-tcpip-winsock-catalog-corruption/

Windows 7 - http://windows7themes.net/winsock-fix-for-windows-7.html

I will look for your MBAM log later.  Thank you.

KN1957

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2010, 07:54:18 PM »
Hello,

The boot-time scan with Avast didn't find anything, and winsock fix didn't change anything.  What I'm going to do is start using Restore points to find a time when it worked right, then figure out what happened next that slowed things.  Going back 1 1/2 weeks has found a good point, now I'm going to come forward one at a time.  At this point it's possible that the Windows updates did something.

Thanks,
Kurt

The Dude 321

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2010, 08:00:22 PM »
Hello,

The boot-time scan with Avast didn't find anything, and winsock fix didn't change anything.  What I'm going to do is start using Restore points to find a time when it worked right, then figure out what happened next that slowed things.  Going back 1 1/2 weeks has found a good point, now I'm going to come forward one at a time.  At this point it's possible that the Windows updates did something.

Thanks,
Kurt

Just make sure that you have scanned with multiple scanners and that there is no malware on you PC. Hitman Pro is an excellent tool with loads of scanners. Make sure you use the free version though! :D

Cheers
The Dude 321

SafeSurf

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2010, 09:16:12 AM »
@ KN1957,

Instead of Hitman Pro, I am going to have you run OTL, which our Certified Malware expert recommends to see if you have deeper malware issues going on.

Check the information on the first post of this thread under Virus/Worms for you to check your machine for malware: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=53253.0

Follow the directions of obtaining an MBAM log (make sure you update MBAM first) and the OTL logs.  Post the MBAM log here (copy and paste) and the two (2) OTL log as an attachment (Additional Options > Attach > Browse (the logs will be on your desktop > Post). 

NOTE:  Although you did an MBAM scan recently, I will need a current one if I need to refer you to our malware expert along with your OTL log. 

Once you run the OTL logs, do NOT make any changes to your machine or you will need to repeat various steps.  Please let me know if you have any questions.  Thank you.

KN1957

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2010, 10:00:25 PM »
Hello,

At this point, I've pretty much ruled out Avast as the problem.  The internet sometimes works in bursts of speed and that was a coincidence that happened just right to make me feel it had to do with Avast's web shield; in fact, we can't predict when it's going to work normal or slow.

I'm going to run Malwarebytes and OTL, as you've suggested, and post them here.

Thank you for your help,
Kurt

KN1957

« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2010, 12:07:46 AM »
Hello,

I've got a problem.  The directions for OTL tell me to download a file called "Scan.txt" to my Desktop, but don't way where it comes from.  Where can I find that?

Thanks,
Kurt

KN1957

« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2010, 12:36:46 AM »
Ok, the file was right there with the instructions...  

Here is the MBAB Log:

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.46
www.malwarebytes.org

Database version: 4938

Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3
Internet Explorer 8.0.6001.18702

10/24/2010 4:34:34 PM
mbam-log-2010-10-24 (16-34-34).txt

Scan type: Quick scan
Objects scanned: 179237
Time elapsed: 12 minute(s), 35 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 0

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Registry Keys Infected: