Author Topic: New computer with Windows 7  (Read 2331 times)

leo45

New computer with Windows 7
« on: October 22, 2010, 03:07:44 AM »

Just bought a new laptop with Windows 7. Need some advise here ? I've heard some great things about Avast Home (Free Version).I'm just wondering if my new 64 bit laptop is compatible for the above mentioned version of Avast? Have Norton in temporarily for now,but plan to change that soon.

Anyone here have any personal experience withe Avast,and it's compatibility with a new laptop with Windows 7,and any advise would be greatly appreciated !

Thanks,  Leo

Joe S

Re: New computer with Windows 7
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2010, 03:14:46 AM »
Yes it works fine for me on Windows 7 64 bit desk top. When you uninstall the Norton make sure you get their removal tool to get all of the junk cleaned up that gets left behind. It should be on their site.
Joe

leo45

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2010, 04:37:03 AM »

Thanks so very much Joe for your info,especially about the uninstall.I've had those problems before with Windows XP.Actually,not Windows,but removing all of Norton from previous computers.Appreciate the help !
                                                                                                           Leo

spede1

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2010, 04:39:11 AM »
Did you get a license with Norton on your new computer (or just a trial)?  If it came with a license, I'd use that first.  I used to run avast 5 on Windows 7 Pro 64Bit, it ran perfectly except for the boot time scanner.  Overall Avast is a good App for sure...

I agree with Joe, Do a search for "Norton Removal Tool" and it should direct you to the proper site

Riona19

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2010, 05:47:11 AM »
I too have Windows 7, and would really like to be able to use the Boot Scanner on it, because that has saved so many of my computers in the past. Does the program have a plan to update it to allow boot scanning on windows 7?

Offline firzen771

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2010, 05:52:36 AM »
I too have Windows 7, and would really like to be able to use the Boot Scanner on it, because that has saved so many of my computers in the past. Does the program have a plan to update it to allow boot scanning on windows 7?

it does do boot scans on win 7, just not on x64 yet, that will be available in v5.1
Windows 7 x64 / Windows Firewall OFF / UAC OFF
Real-Time: Avast Internet Security / WinPatrol

Riona19

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2010, 05:56:56 AM »
Thank You, I'll keep an eye open for it.