Author Topic: Microsoft Security Essentials  (Read 29952 times)

j.m.reid

Microsoft Security Essentials
« on: October 22, 2010, 02:14:04 PM »
Would be interested in views / comments on Microsoft Security Essentials from members .

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Microsoft Security Essentials
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2010, 02:47:00 PM »
Why, since you shouldn't have two resident AVs installed at the same time, then they are most likely to have just one, avast.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2010, 03:17:10 PM »
Good detection rate.
Poor configurability.
Shouldn't be run side-by-side on access (resident) with avast.
The best things in life are free.

j.m.reid

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2010, 03:23:05 PM »
 Thanks for info and advice .The subject came up whilst talking to a friend and not knowing about it , thought I would enquire re. pros / cons .

osants911

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2010, 04:19:50 PM »
Excellent compatibility with Windows

ArminPasalic!

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2010, 12:16:22 AM »
I think it needs alot of improments.

-It only relies on Signatures
-No Behavior Engine - a.k.a NO zero day/hour threat protection
-Automatic removal upon found infections
-Should'nt a AV be: Install and Forget! while MSE has: Install and remember forever!

Good things:
-It detects most of the ugly stuff, but still...
-Its free
-Its good for Windows Basic Protection

Still... I like Avast! Free better - But MSE is new too. ;D

Offline Marc57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • KISS Rules The World!!!
    • KISS Army
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2010, 05:45:52 AM »

-It only relies on Signatures
-No Behavior Engine - a.k.a NO zero day/hour threat protection

Sorry, wrong on both.

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/msescan/thread/fd46d1fb-89bb-4263-9de3-7db7bbb2ac0a/

"The suite also emulates programs before they complete their execution, and looks for behaviour such as carrying out operations without user permission, Owen said. If a program is behaving suspiciously, MSE will ping the Dynamic Signature Service to see whether the program should be submitted for analysis or terminated."

http://www.zdnet.co.uk/news/security-management/2009/09/29/microsoft-launches-free-security-essentials-package-39778759/

-Automatic removal upon found infections

If your away from your computer when MSE finds malware, It will suspend the malware and wait for you to decide what to do. If after 10 min you haven't  made a choice, it will deal with the malware in whatever way you have set for the default action for the kind of malware it finds.

As for is it any good, There's this:

"A recent test performed by an AV testing firm suggests that customers are better off running Microsoft’s free security solution for Windows instead of wasting the money on paid antivirus which Microsoft Security Essentials end up outperforming."

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Microsoft-Security-Essentials-Outperforms-Paid-Antivirus-in-AV-Test-162064.shtml
« Last Edit: October 23, 2010, 05:56:37 AM by Marc57 »
You Wanted the Best You Got the Best the Hottest Band in the World KISS!!!

ImWarm

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2010, 06:10:17 AM »
In the recent AV Comparatives (detection) test, Microsoft Security Essentials got one of the slowest scanning speeds. It's detection rate is pretty good but Avasts beats it by about 1.7% and Avast has the fastest scanning speed out of all the tested AVs.

michael_0

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2011, 06:07:18 PM »
I guess I like to live dangerous and all that..
running avast 5.1.889 and MSE
Security Essentials Version: 2.0.657.0
Antimalware Client Version: 3.0.8107.0
Network Inspection System Engine Version: 2.0.5854.0
on a AMD phenomX3 with 4gig running Win 7x64 (with multi-boot vista sp1 x64)
 installed avast;
 downloaded MSE;
 disconnected from internet;
 temporarily disabled avast;
 installed MSE;
 rebooted;
then I informed avast about MSE via:
AvastUI->BehaviorShield->TrustedProcesses
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Security Client\Antimalware\MsMpEng.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Security Client\msseces.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Security Client\Antimalware\NisSrv.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Security Client\Antimalware\MsMpSvc.exe
C:\Windows\servicing\TrustedInstaller.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Security Client\Antimalware\MpCmdRun.exe
C:\Windows\System32\MpSigStub.exe
C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download\Install\AM_Delta_Patch3.exe

and then informed MSE about avast via:
open MSE->Settings->Excluded processes->add  (all the .exe's in c:\program files\Alwil... avast5\*.exe)
(make sure you “save changes”)

reconnect to internet

the actual sequence of events with my system was much more complicated: when I first installed win 7 and tried to run with both avast and mse my system died a horrible death and would only beep 3 times at power-on with no bios screen. Wow, that was impressive! I thought I had a memory failure and reseated my 2x2gig ram cards. After much consternation and nashing of teeth I reloaded win 7 (and lost a whole bunch of mostly useless personal files because I didnt backup on dvd's before embarking on this fiasco).

win 7 seems more or less stable now.. note that when MSE updates it seems to momentarily (a minute or 2) hog the machine. Also I normally run with UAC in a non-admin account..

Silk0

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2011, 06:11:17 PM »
You need to know that you can't have two AV's on the same computer.
Is basic.

Uninstall one of the AV's (remove it completely) and let one running.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2011, 06:17:36 PM »
michael_0  Your only asking for trouble, even if you manage to not get any direct conflict you have still made your security level's lower  ::)

YoKenny

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2011, 08:52:11 PM »
michael_0  Your only asking for trouble, even if you manage to not get any direct conflict you have still made your security level's lower  ::)
michael_0 Stick with Windows Defender as that does not conflict with avast!  8)

noknojon

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2011, 11:21:45 PM »
You need to know that you can't have two AV's on the same computer.
Is basic.
Uninstall one of the AV's (remove it completely) and let one running.
Please note that even though this is usually taken as 'Gospel', it is not 100% true - You can have 2 A/Virus programs on most computers, as long as only one is set to run real (full) time scanning and they are set to exclude each other during their scans - MSE is easy to configure this way and is a suitable candidate for such a project -
No lowering of protection level is required by using this method - You only need to ensure any Shields/Firewalls are disabled and only the Microsoft installed Firewall is used - This is one step below that taken by michael_0, but it is the most secure way to run 2 A/V's on most computers (and will work) -

Thank You -

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2011, 12:22:06 AM »
Wrong, if both are designed to be resident AVs, even when disabled there will still be low level drivers loaded and it is these that are the major cause of conflict.

The point of these low level drivers is to hook files before they are run so that they might be scanned and there is a possibility that in the fight for control these drivers can lock the system.

At best this can cause duplication of scanning and higher CPU & RAM usage, which may impact on performance. At worst it could lock the system and if that happens to be at boot, then you could be locked out of your system. At which point you may be able to boot into safe mode and uninstall one and remove the potential for conflict.

So you now have the information, it is your system so you make your own choice.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Omid Farhang

• Frontend Developer
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • I wish I could write longer personal text!!
    • Homepage
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2011, 01:10:19 AM »
Me talking to Avira Mod about having multiple or so called multi-layered protection:

The risk is greater and I will tell you why. Usually security programs conflict with each other and the result is loss of functionality and you can easily predict what happens next.
We had a customer that uses 4 firewalls, 5 anti-virus software and 3 anti-spyware software. So, judging after you, this customer had a bullet-proof configuration. But you are wrong: he also had more that 10 malware active. QED & case closed.
Twitter: OmidFarhangEn - OS: Manjaro KDE