Author Topic: Microsoft Security Essentials  (Read 29955 times)

Tenko

Re: Microsoft Security Essentials
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2011, 04:14:55 AM »
MSE is good if you have no intention to learn anything about security otherwise there are much better solutions that are lighter and that have less impact on the performance. I recommend your friend avast, avira, avg or comodo's CIS (the complete one).

Regards,
              Tenko

rdmaloyjr

« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2011, 04:57:59 AM »
I use AIS (5.1889) on XP sp3 (32bit).

I use MSE 2 on my 7 64bit laptop only because I want to use 64bit programs.

Yes, I know there little to no advantage running a pure 64bit av.

Pardon my vanity.

I haven't had any problems or infections with MSE 2.

noknojon

« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2011, 07:47:21 AM »
Quote from: Tenko
MSE is good if you have no intention to learn anything about security otherwise there are much better solutions that are lighter and that have less impact on the performance. I recommend your friend avast, avira, avg or comodo's CIS (the complete one).
A very odd comment ??? since Avira and AVG are set and forget antivirus programs with automatic updates (like many others) - I use MSE on my XP desktop and I know it has great detection, as it has caught items in an instant while I was online - I then had a full system check and know that all infection had been caught and removed -
If you want a program where you need to learn about security, then Kaspersky is an antivirus that requires more playing with -

AdrianH

« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2011, 08:54:27 AM »
This question has been running at Microsoft Answers , see this thread >> http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/msestart/thread/ca8951d9-e6b6-4831-ba70-3684b7e84a25  and note the advice well.

I have all to often seen the result of running 2 or more resident av/malware systems and the problems created when they both detect and try to clean the same malware.

noknojon

« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2011, 02:32:10 PM »
Hi AdrianH -
It is a very simplistic discussion on the site you mention - According to that item you should not run any 2 active protection programs at the same time -
Ask YoKenny about running active antivirus programs, that may have anti malware, and running full time Pro Malwarebytes or Pro SUPERAntiSpyWare (or both), with active updates and protection, at the same time - I am sorry but there are several thousands of people who find that discussion is 100% garbage -
I have helped set up thousands of systems with these items running at the same time - Visit the Malwarebytes forum, ask if you can run fully active Malwarebytes with fully active A/V's, and you will find that this is considered as a Normal, every day, procedure -

Thank You -

YoKenny

« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2011, 02:43:40 PM »
@ noknojon

This is discussing MSE with avast! not MBAM with avast!

You can not run MSE with avast! on XP nor Vista nor Windows 7 as it will conflict as AdrianH has indicated.

You can run Windows Defender on Vista or Windows 7 but I would not run it on XP.   

AdrianH

« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2011, 07:56:36 PM »
Hi AdrianH -
It is a very simplistic discussion on the site you mention - According to that item you should not run any 2 active protection programs at the same time -
Ask YoKenny about running active antivirus programs, that may have anti malware, and running full time Pro Malwarebytes or Pro SUPERAntiSpyWare (or both), with active updates and protection, at the same time - I am sorry but there are several thousands of people who find that discussion is 100% garbage -
I have helped set up thousands of systems with these items running at the same time - Visit the Malwarebytes forum, ask if you can run fully active Malwarebytes with fully active A/V's, and you will find that this is considered as a Normal, every day, procedure -

Thank You -

Good luck to you, AV systems have changed a lot over the last few years and despite your "1000's" of systems I am telling you from personal experience that what you are doing can lead to major problems.

I have seen Eset Nod 32 and SuperAntiSpyware detect and try to clean malware at the same instant, the result is an infected machine with each av/malware app having grabbed some of the files. Kaspersky,Norton,Avira have all been seen locking up with other apps on board, at the end of the day many people are causing themselves more problems than they solve by overkill. 

I spend most of my time everyday (and have done so for a good few years now) cleaning malware from machines that were over loaded with "protection".  ;)

rdmaloyjr

« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2011, 08:44:45 PM »
Hi AdrianH -

Thank You -

Good luck to you, AV systems have changed a lot over the last few years and despite your "1000's" of systems I am telling you from personal experience that what you are doing can lead to major problems.

I have seen Eset Nod 32 and SuperAntiSpyware detect and try to clean malware at the same instant, the result is an infected machine with each av/malware app having grabbed some of the files. Kaspersky,Norton,Avira have all been seen locking up with other apps on board, at the end of the day many people are causing themselves more problems than they solve by overkill. 

I spend most of my time everyday (and have done so for a good few years now) cleaning malware from machines that were over loaded with "protection".  ;)
+1

I use the free versions of mbam & SAS.  I leave the real-time scanning to avast!

On my 7 64bit I leave the real-time scanning to Microsoft Security Essentials.

noknojon

« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2011, 11:08:03 PM »
@ noknojon
This is discussing MSE with avast! not MBAM with avast!
You can not run MSE with avast! on XP nor Vista nor Windows 7 as it will conflict as AdrianH has indicated.
You can run Windows Defender on Vista or Windows 7 but I would not run it on XP.   

@ YoKenny - If you read the link provided to me and the comments then you can not ?? run your Real time MBAM with any second active protection , eg. avast! -

My reply was fully directed at the link provided to me in the discussion of running more than one active means of protection at the same time -

<<- I use the free versions of mbam & SAS.  I leave the real-time scanning to avast!  ->> This from rdmaloyjr says your active MBAM is not suitable to run, only free versions of mbam & SAS -
Maybe you should tell your forum that MBAM or SAS is OK to run in Realtime with MSE or avast! and cite your system (or exile360) as good examples -
<<- I have seen Eset Nod 32 and SuperAntiSpyware detect and try to clean malware . . . . ->> from AdrianH
This should be sent to Maniac (Borislav) , an expert and moderator on the ESET forum - There you will be shown how to do it properly -
Please READ a post prior to jumping on a response - This shows you have not read the item, and followed the links provided in the post - 

Thank You and Regards -

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2011, 07:08:58 AM »
This is the biggest load of bull**** that iv heard in a long time, MBAM PRO and SUPERANTISPYWARE PRO are designed to run along side of your existing av's, you cant have two av's on a system running or not but mbam and superanti are not av's and do coexist with an av quite nicely, iv got this setup on my own 2 system's plus another 18 family members and multiple friend's systems and there has never been a problem and they run beautifully and dont even have exclusion's for avast and mbam pro but exclusion's would be required for most other av's and you can find the full list of exclusion's here http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=10138 there are also numerus members here on the forum that run the real time capability's of mbam or superanti with avast without problem's and if you visit the mbam forum you will see that most of the member's plus the moderator's run mbam pro with all type's of av's.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2011, 07:10:39 AM by craigb »

michael_0

« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2011, 03:55:03 PM »
Haven't had any more problems running avast with mse. I don't believe any posts here unless they give an in depth technical explanation, which none of them do. However, mse has a small problem (err feature!) when it updates its virus database (NOT an mse program update). The final part of a mse virus update is an “install” phase following the download phase. Apparently during “install” (final) phase mse shuts down and locks out all other machine activity for a couple of minutes, the amount of time varies presumably with the size of the mse update. MSE defaults to one auto update check every 24hrs. Since I reboot my machine everyday I do a manual MSE virus db update first thing that way it doesn't otherwise appear to be a problem..

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2011, 04:38:00 PM »
Haven't had any more problems running avast with mse. I don't believe any posts here unless they give an in depth technical explanation
You dont have to have in depth technical information to know that it is common knowledge not to have two av's on your system, wait till your av's both detect the same file or your system completly lock's because the av's detect each other.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2011, 04:47:30 PM »
I don't believe any posts here unless they give an in depth technical explanation, which none of them do.

Why should we do so..?? (Use google..!!)
As it seems you already made up your mind. Good luck. ;)
asyn
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline Dwarden

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Ideas, that's ocean without borders!
    • Bohemia Interactive
« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2011, 04:47:48 PM »
found that it slowed my computer in some scenarios beyond life acceptable treshold
https://twitter.com/FoltynD , Tech. Community, Online Services & Distribution manager of Bohemia Interactive

michael_0

« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2011, 05:57:01 PM »
I've been running avast with mse for a number of years. I haven't had any instances of multiple detections. I've only had 2 instances of mse detecting anything and about the same for avast. Other than mse momentarily (about a minute) locking up my system during “install” (last) phase of mse definition updates, I see NO problems! I'm sure mse is doing something “stupid” but my work around is to manually update mse definition's first thing after login and mse wont update again for 24hrs.

The thing about “believing” problems others warn or report about is that without an in depth analysis its useless since I cant correlate it to any thing real. However, I think the warning about multiple AV's has some merit. I would not run with more than mse and avast since I doubt it would improve things. avast and mse appear to compliment each other in how they operate and mse may have some sort of 64-bit benefit.