Author Topic: Microsoft Security Essentials  (Read 30012 times)

RoloX2

Re: Microsoft Security Essentials
« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2011, 12:08:13 AM »
"DON'T CROSS THE STREAMS!"   :D

G-Data's AV uses two engines: avast! and Bitdefender but it was designed to do so.  (Personally, I didn't like the performance hit, was painful.)

Another quote: "Everything is permissible but not everything is profitable."

I really don't see a favourable risk/reward ratio with running multiple AVs on the same machine.

rdmaloyjr

« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2011, 02:29:13 AM »
"DON'T CROSS THE STREAMS!"   :D

G-Data's AV uses two engines: avast! and Bitdefender but it was designed to do so.  (Personally, I didn't like the performance hit, was painful.)

Another quote: "Everything is permissible but not everything is profitable."

I really don't see a favourable risk/reward ratio with running multiple AVs on the same machine.

"Everything is permissible but not everything is profitable."

1 Corinthians 10:23

michael_0

« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2011, 03:20:05 PM »
I found a workaround for the “mse manual update” taking a few minutes problem. It appears that mse delays the “install” portion of the manual update operation because of the avast shields. (Its best to do this right after a fresh reboot and I usually wait for avast to complete its update) 1) Open the mse window (right click mse icon) and click on the update tab (but dont start the mse update process yet); 2) right click on the avast tray icon; hover the cursor over the shields menu item; left click on “disable for 10 minute's; 3) start the mse update process by left click on the update button in the mse window; 4) after mse finishes updating: right click on the avast tray icon; hover the cursor over the shields menu item; left click on “enable all shields".

I suppose there might still be a problem of both “avast and mse” detecting something simultaneously. However, no one has reported that precise phenomena but have only suggested it might happen. I guess i'll believe it when I see it..

doktornotor

« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2011, 03:43:31 PM »
I suppose there might still be a problem of both “avast and mse” detecting something simultaneously. However, no one has reported that precise phenomena but have only suggested it might happen. I guess i'll believe it when I see it..

Yeah, and as repeated over and over again you shouldn't run two different AVs in the same machine, unless they are specifically designed to be compatible (which certainly is not the case with MSE).

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #34 on: March 19, 2011, 05:43:22 PM »
I found a workaround for the “mse manual update” taking a few minutes problem. It appears that mse delays the “install” portion of the manual update operation because of the avast shields. (Its best to do this right after a fresh reboot and I usually wait for avast to complete its update) 1) Open the mse window (right click mse icon) and click on the update tab (but dont start the mse update process yet); 2) right click on the avast tray icon; hover the cursor over the shields menu item; left click on “disable for 10 minute's; 3) start the mse update process by left click on the update button in the mse window; 4) after mse finishes updating: right click on the avast tray icon; hover the cursor over the shields menu item; left click on “enable all shields".

Dont know why you bothered to post your work around ??? most people know that you dont run two av's, even if one is disabled it's still not recomended.
You know why no one's reporting a conflict phenomena ? because they've more common sense than you and dont want to run the risk of conflict, and even if you do manage to not have an issue between the two av's you are still reducing your protection levels without even knowing it, good luck to you but i believe we dont need twit's like you posting this sort of information in the forum that might encourage some unknowing beginner to try this and really stuff up there system  ::)

Offline Omid Farhang

• Frontend Developer
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • I wish I could write longer personal text!!
    • Homepage
« Reply #35 on: March 19, 2011, 05:47:27 PM »
I've posted this many times!
The risk is greater and I will tell you why. Usually security programs conflict with each other and the result is loss of functionality and you can easily predict what happens next.
We had a customer that uses 4 firewalls, 5 anti-virus software and 3 anti-spyware software. So, judging after you, this customer had a bullet-proof configuration. But you are wrong: he also had more that 10 malware active. QED & case closed.
Twitter: OmidFarhangEn - OS: Manjaro KDE

doktornotor

« Reply #36 on: March 19, 2011, 05:48:20 PM »
If you really want to have two realtime AVs at the same time, then pretty much the only feasible candidates with decent chance to work with avast! are:

- Immunet Protect
- PrevX Safeonline

michael_0

« Reply #37 on: August 19, 2011, 07:30:48 PM »
i'v been running both now for a few months on win 7.. works fine for me!

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #38 on: August 20, 2011, 01:59:37 AM »
Wait till they both detect the same thing then you wont be fine  ::)

DarkMasters

« Reply #39 on: August 20, 2011, 06:42:13 AM »

Well, if you happy with that then, so be it... Just don't expect and ask others to follow your step because it's not a wise thing to do.