Author Topic: Annoying Advertisement  (Read 27837 times)

Qistina

Annoying Advertisement
« on: October 22, 2010, 09:43:05 PM »
Hi all,

I am using Avast 4.8 pro edition, i receive annoying advertisement pop up to upgrade to Avast 5. I don't want to upgrade it. But i cannot delete the pop up permanently. This is so annoying because it will disturb any work i am doing (such as watching movie, playing games, anything), the pop up will disturb it all.

Is this some kind of tactic to force user to upgrade? If it is, then it is a cheap tactic. I have a right to choose.

How to delete it permanently? Please...

Offline firzen771

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
Re: Annoying Advertisement
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2010, 09:49:24 PM »
Hi all,

I am using Avast 4.8 pro edition, i receive annoying advertisement pop up to upgrade to Avast 5. I don't want to upgrade it. But i cannot delete the pop up permanently. This is so annoying because it will disturb any work i am doing (such as watching movie, playing games, anything), the pop up will disturb it all.

Is this some kind of tactic to force user to upgrade? If it is, then it is a cheap tactic. I have a right to choose.

How to delete it permanently? Please...

actually not quite, u havea right to uninstall avast if u wish, but ur on a subscription with AV's and i dont see why u dont want to upgrade to an improved version
Windows 7 x64 / Windows Firewall OFF / UAC OFF
Real-Time: Avast Internet Security / WinPatrol

Qistina

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2010, 09:56:23 PM »
actually not quite, u havea right to uninstall avast if u wish, but ur on a subscription with AV's and i dont see why u dont want to upgrade to an improved version

I have a right to chose to buy or not, this kind of advertisement is for me it is like capitalist tactic, forcing people to buy the product. I cannot detect where the pop up come from to delete it.

I don't want to upgrade it because i feel the older one is already enough, the new version have too much scanners, slowing down my computer.

So why annoy the user by making such pop up? It will keep pop up each time in few minutes after reboot. Disturbing peoples work. It is enough for just one time reminder, no need to annoy users.

H.Seldon

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2010, 09:59:50 PM »
Your answer is here (taken from another thread):

Quote from: H.Seldon on July 27, 2010, 07:26:06 AM
For those who would still like to get rid of the annoying "NAG" window for version 5 update, do the following:

Disable the self-defense module.
Locate and rename the file "asw5Not2.exe". It should be located in the Avast4 folder.
Re-enable the self-defense module.

« Reply #41 on: August 08, 2010, 09:38:01 PM »   

Disabling the self defense module is done by going to program settings, troubleshooting, and removing the tick from the appropriate box. There will be a warning screen to "ok" your way out of.

Qistina

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2010, 10:06:49 PM »
Your answer is here (taken from another thread):

Quote from: H.Seldon on July 27, 2010, 07:26:06 AM
For those who would still like to get rid of the annoying "NAG" window for version 5 update, do the following:

Disable the self-defense module.
Locate and rename the file "asw5Not2.exe". It should be located in the Avast4 folder.
Re-enable the self-defense module.

« Reply #41 on: August 08, 2010, 09:38:01 PM »   

Disabling the self defense module is done by going to program settings, troubleshooting, and removing the tick from the appropriate box. There will be a warning screen to "ok" your way out of.

Thank you  :), let see if it work.....

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2010, 10:09:17 PM »
I have a right to chose to buy or not, this kind of advertisement is for me it is like capitalist tactic, forcing people to buy the product. I cannot detect where the pop up come from to delete it.

You don't have to buy it, if your license is still valid (time left) you can upgrade for free.

I don't want to upgrade it because i feel the older one is already enough, the new version have too much scanners, slowing down my computer.

Avast even with its extra protection is lighter on resources and offers better protection. There is also nothing to stop you disabling/uninstalling shields that you don't use, like Internet Messenging or P2P if you don't use any of those applications.

So why annoy the user by making such pop up? It will keep pop up each time in few minutes after reboot. Disturbing peoples work. It is enough for just one time reminder, no need to annoy users.

The reason for the update prompting is that avast5 is 10 months old now and they are trying to phase out support for avast 4.8 and that it is hopped would be around the end of this year. You can try the hack to stop the update notice, but that doesn't change any of the above points.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

ArminPasalic!

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2010, 10:52:53 PM »
Avast 4.8 support is gonna end soon - Avast 5.1 will be launched soon, and when that launches, 4.8 is dead. No more signatures, nothing.   8)

That's why these Advertisement keep poping up - Avast wants all 4.8 users to get a better Protection + The latest against Malware. ;D

PS. I think he/she is using License key/Cracked version, cause everyone WILL update to the latest - So, illegal version for me. :P

Regards,
Armin.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2010, 11:01:21 PM by ArminPasalic! »

Offline firzen771

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2010, 01:10:58 AM »

ye u do, but u said ur using the professional version correct? so u must have already bought it right? or is it that ur just looking for a way out of upgrading cuz ur using a cracked/ illegal serial?
Windows 7 x64 / Windows Firewall OFF / UAC OFF
Real-Time: Avast Internet Security / WinPatrol

GloobyGoob

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2010, 03:03:11 AM »

Actually, avast 5 will make your PC faster than it is now with 4.8 because it uses less resources. And as said above, updates for 4.8 will end.

Qistina

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2010, 07:49:44 AM »
My license expired in May 12 2012, why i want to upgrade to version 5 while the license end in 2012? Until 2012 i don't need to upgrade or buy any antivirus software, version 4.8 upgrade virus database each time until May 12 2012. Why must the company ending old version just because new version come out? My license end in May 12 2012? All i see of these is capitalism, forcing people to upgrade/buy your product.

I admit Avast is most reliable antivirus compared to other antivirus software but this kind of advertisement tactic is unwise making user like me annoyed, it is like forcing to upgrade or buy your product. The pop up disturb works, when i was playing games suddenly it come out and ruin it. The pop up is from the software, now it act like virus/malware it self...don't you see? >:(

Thanks to H.Seldon, it work, now there is no pop up anymore.

The point is, it is my right when or if i want to upgrade it or buy new one, no need for the company keep annoying me with that kind of pop up. No matter if new version is better or whatever, it is up to me.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2010, 08:01:38 AM »
My license expired in May 12 2012, why i want to upgrade to version 5 while the license end in 2012? Until 2012 i don't need to upgrade or buy any antivirus software, version 4.8 upgrade virus database each time until May 12 2012. Why must the company ending old version just because new version come out? My license end in May 12 2012? All i see of these is capitalism, forcing people to upgrade/buy your product.

If you update to version 5 your license still ends in May 2012..!!! ;)
asyn
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

osants911

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2010, 08:12:12 AM »

I admit Avast is most reliable antivirus compared to other antivirus software but this kind of advertisement tactic is unwise making user like me annoyed, it is like forcing to upgrade or buy your product. The pop up disturb works, when i was playing games suddenly it come out and ruin it. The pop up is from the software, now it act like virus/malware it self...don't you see? >:(

Thanks to H.Seldon, it work, now there is no pop up anymore.

The point is, it is my right when or if i want to upgrade it or buy new one, no need for the company keep annoying me with that kind of pop up. No matter if new version is better or whatever, it is up to me.

AVAST Software will discontinue releasing definition update and program update shortly.

The only way to get definition update until May 2012 is to upgrade to version 5.

ImWarm

« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2010, 08:18:06 AM »
Until 2012 i don't need to upgrade or buy any antivirus software, version 4.8 upgrade virus database each time until May 12 2012.

Yeah but, virus definitions will end in 2010 for version 4.8. The reason they want to discontinue 4.8 is because avast4.8 is keeping 5 from being able to detect more malware.

Offline Coolmario88

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Bronies make the web go round
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2010, 09:34:13 AM »
This is so annoying because it will disturb any work i am doing (such as watching movie, playing games, anything), the pop up will disturb it all.
Hello, The New Avast 5.0 Has A Feature called Silent Gaming mode its a good feature. And The Speed of Avast 5.0 is Amazing and outstanding I Would Recommend Upgrading Cause You Should Always Keep Your Installed Antivirus up to date :)
Webbrowser: Mozilla Firefox
PC Specs: Intel i5-12400f, Nvidia RTX 3050, 16gb ram, 1.5TB SSD(s).

Sparxx

« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2010, 10:35:30 AM »

You don't understnad, your actual license will remain valid and for version 5, they don't force you to buy anything,if you own a valid license for avast 4 it will be transferred to avast 5 automatically. They released a more stable and better in protection product, and they want you to upgrade, it's for your own good, and if you feel you don't need all shields, you can disable them, by selecting custom installation.