Author Topic: Annoying Advertisement  (Read 27962 times)

Qistina

Re: Annoying Advertisement
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2010, 11:29:19 AM »
Yeah but, virus definitions will end in 2010 for version 4.8. The reason they want to discontinue 4.8 is because avast4.8 is keeping 5 from being able to detect more malware.

If the company stop updating virus definition because of version 5/new version, why i buy Avast 4.8 in the first place? If i know the company will stop the service, it is better for me to buy other anti-virus product that don't have this policy. Now you all understand my point?

When i buy Avast 4.8 i buy it with the believe that it is reliable, no need for making additions or changing this and that, all i need is to renew the license when it is expired.

Now, the company forcing buyers/users to upgrade/buy the new one, then they will stop the older product service. What is that?

It is like a car company stop producing spare parts and forcing customers to buy or upgrade their cars. When the customers buy the car made by that company, they buy it in the trust/believe that the car is reliable, have spare parts, the company will always maintain their service ect. Now the company sent notice to all saying they all MUST change their cars or buy new one or else the company will stop their service.

I don't know what to call that? ::)

and if you feel you don't need all shields, you can disable them, by selecting custom installation.

Alright, if i am going to stop the scanners in version 5, why i want to upgrade to version 5 anyway?

« Last Edit: October 23, 2010, 11:34:10 AM by Qistina »

Offline Rednose

• Pirate Party Member
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Bits of Freedom : https://www.bof.nl
    • Nederlandstalig Avast! forum
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2010, 11:44:12 AM »
When you buy an Avast! licence you buy it for a centain periode ( 1 to 3 years ), NOT for a certain version.

Greetz, Red.
Real Time: Avast Premium Security
On Demand: Malwarebytes
VPN: NordVPN ( NordLynx ) with Threat Protection ( Lite )

Mele20

« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2010, 12:36:42 PM »
This is an interesting topic. I had no idea Avast had such a short support time for a version. Avira just EXTENDED support for ver 9 (that was supposed to end last day of Oct). Now support has been extended through May 2011 (version 11 of Avira will come in April 2011). But this is just extending the "official" support. Engine updates and definitions for Avira are STILL AVAILABLE for Avira 7, 8, 9 and the current 10 versions.  I use Avira 8 on two machines (Avast 5 on another).  Official support for Avira 8 ended on March 31 but forum support did not end. I don't like the current Avira 10 and Avira 9 has one very irritating bug that was never fixed. Avira 8 is just about perfect IMO (except Avast 5 has the finest GUI of all vendors) so I use it. 

I am surprised that Avast doesn't do the same as Avira. If someone wants to use an older version why not allow that? You can stop official support for that version but allow it to continue to get definitions. Avast, to my knowledge, doesn't have to update the engine like Avira does so it would only be new definitions that would be available for older versions. Someone commented that Avast wants to kill support for 4.8 because supporting it is hurting ver 5? How is that???

As for popups nagging to get a newer version, I have to endure those with Avira but they appear only at boot/reboot time so don't interfere with other things except I cannot dismiss the slideup and it sits there for several minutes on top of tray items and I can't use the computer until it finally slides back down.  I hate that. I don't understand why AV companies think they have to notify ad infinitum about something like this. A few popups/slideups would be quite sufficient.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2010, 01:01:34 PM »
Qistina, you're not reading what the others are posting and keep answering or making questions going in circles.
1. You buy a license to use a product and receive updates. You have it.
2. You can upgrade with the same license (which a lot of other companies does not allow). You have it.
3. Nobody is forcing a buy. avast 5 remains a freeware. You have it.

It is better for me to buy other anti-virus product that don't have this policy.
Try to find one and be happy :)

When i buy Avast 4.8 i buy it with the believe that it is reliable, no need for making additions or changing this and that, all i need is to renew the license when it is expired.
And all software development should stop because you bought a license... ::)

The company will always maintain their service ect.
Give me one example of such a company... Life goes on...
The best things in life are free.

ArminPasalic!

« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2010, 01:28:07 PM »
Yeah but, virus definitions will end in 2010 for version 4.8. The reason they want to discontinue 4.8 is because avast4.8 is keeping 5 from being able to detect more malware.

If the company stop updating virus definition because of version 5/new version, why i buy Avast 4.8 in the first place? If i know the company will stop the service, it is better for me to buy other anti-virus product that don't have this policy. Now you all understand my point?

Now, the company forcing buyers/users to upgrade/buy the new one, then they will stop the older product service. What is that?

It is like a car company stop producing spare parts and forcing customers to buy or upgrade their cars. When the customers buy the car made by that company, they buy it in the trust/believe that the car is reliable, have spare parts, the company will always maintain their service ect. Now the company sent notice to all saying they all MUST change their cars or buy new one or else the company will stop their service.

I don't know what to call that? ::)

and if you feel you don't need all shields, you can disable them, by selecting custom installation.

Alright, if i am going to stop the scanners in version 5, why i want to upgrade to version 5 anyway?

Read this carefully now before asking new questions...

Avast! 4.8 is old, and every antivirus needs to create new versions with new Engines to better protect their customers.

Avast! 5.0 is better, and you should upgrade to it if you wanna have Protection against the latest Virusses out there.

About your License, you will not lose it... just Upgrade the license you purchased with 4.8 to 5.0 by going here:
http://www.avast.com/resend-license.php

Follow the steps and you will be getting the Avast! 5.0 Pro and have exact same days left as you had on 4.8

PS. If you don't wanna Upgrade/Insult Avast! for doing the job right, then I'm assuming you are using 4.8 Cracked/Free License

Regards,
Armin.

Qistina

« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2010, 01:31:55 PM »
I agree with Mele20

And so, while the topic goes on, Avast didn't apologize for ruining my work with the annoying advertisement pop up. Wow.....

At least say "We are sorry for the inconvenience...blah blah blah"

Capitalist...

« Last Edit: October 23, 2010, 01:35:38 PM by Qistina »

ArminPasalic!

« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2010, 01:34:15 PM »
I agree with Mele20

And so, while the topic goes on, Avast didn't apologize for ruining my work with the annoying advertisement pop up. Wow.....

Avast! will not apologize cause you DON'T READ OTHERS COMMENT.

You can upgrade your License, but no - If you don't wanna do that, your protection will be gone, not Avast's problem when their have made Pop-up saying YOU NEED TO UPGRADE to get the best protection.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2010, 01:36:35 PM »
Avast didn't apologize for ruining my work
Is there any point you need help?
avast is not suppose to ruin *any* work...
The best things in life are free.

ArminPasalic!

« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2010, 01:38:26 PM »
Avast didn't apologize for ruining my work
Is there any point you need help?
avast is not suppose to ruin *any* work...
It didnt ruin her/his work - We have commented/replied multiple times by upgrading the License for FREE, but the user typical ask more and more questions...

Qistina

« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2010, 01:39:00 PM »

Avast! will not apologize cause you DON'T READ OTHERS COMMENT.

So, Avast put in the annoying advertisement pop up in their software that ruining my work and annoy me each time, but not apologize for it?

Great....

Offline Omid Farhang

• Frontend Developer
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • I wish I could write longer personal text!!
    • Homepage
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2010, 01:40:28 PM »
Qistina, I cannot believe you don't want upgrade to version 5 professional when it's a Free upgrade for you with a lot of improvement. Your current License will still works with V.5 so why avoid that?
Twitter: OmidFarhangEn - OS: Manjaro KDE

ArminPasalic!

« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2010, 01:42:48 PM »
Qistina, I cannot believe you don't want upgrade to version 5 professional when it's a Free upgrade for you with a lot of improvement. Your current License will still works with V.5 so why avoid that?
We have replied that... MULTIPLE TIMES indeed...

I think we should close this Topic... There's no point asking more asking questions/Insult Alwil for their huge work they did to make a better version - While some users don't wanna upgrade, then the protection will be off.

Regards,
Armin.

Qistina

« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2010, 01:45:22 PM »

I don't want upgrade is not the issue here, the issue is i want to get rid off the annoying advertisement pop up Avast put in, and ruining my work, i was doing my work and the pop up appear the screen goes chaotic (i don't know the right word, i am not English speaking), and i have to click "x" to close it each time.

And still, Avast didn't say "We are sorry for the inconvenience" or any apology for it. And you guys keep justifying version 5 is better blah blah blah...

There goes corporate ethic...

ArminPasalic!

« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2010, 01:47:42 PM »
Moderator, please close this Topic.. this is a huge waste of time when the User doesnt understand to Upgrade to the latest version. Support for 4.8 is ending soon, if you don't wanna upgrade(Lose protection) it's your problem, Avast! has informed you..

Regards,
Armin.

Qistina

« Reply #29 on: October 23, 2010, 01:50:53 PM »
So, a user/customer have no right to complain now?

Pure capitalism