Author Topic: Annoying Advertisement  (Read 27834 times)

ArminPasalic!

Re: Annoying Advertisement
« Reply #30 on: October 23, 2010, 01:53:15 PM »
So, a user/customer have no right to complain now?

Pure capitalism
Complain everything you want - This will not solve you problem.
Let me ask you a question?
Why do you want to keep 4.8 - And not get any updates/Protection, when you can upgrade to 5.0 and get Updates/Protection?

wonder

« Reply #31 on: October 23, 2010, 01:54:59 PM »
If you buy a car, soon or later it will be harder to get spare parts...as your model is getting older....alike car companies, Avast gives you the chance to have a brand new car (antivirus), with a lot of new features, FOR FREE, lighter...why one should keep using an older version??  ???

Qistina

« Reply #32 on: October 23, 2010, 01:55:59 PM »
Why do you want to keep 4.8 - And not get any updates/Protection, when you can upgrade to 5.0 and get Updates/Protection?

Again, that is not the issue.

And you are not Avast staff, so i will stop responding to you.

ArminPasalic!

« Reply #33 on: October 23, 2010, 01:57:54 PM »

Again, that is not the issue.

And you are not Avast staff, so i will stop responding to you.
you are right, I'm not a Avast! staff - But I'm a user that does understand to Upgrade to the latest protection.
Good luck and have fun with 4.8 - You will be the target for virusses.

Regards,
Armin.

Qistina

« Reply #34 on: October 23, 2010, 02:04:56 PM »
I have manage to rid off the pop up. It only wasting time to argue with you guys. I only regret that Avast didn't apologize.

What to say, that is corporate attitude today.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #35 on: October 23, 2010, 02:05:11 PM »
OK, we are sorry for trying to let you know that you might get unprotected soon.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #36 on: October 23, 2010, 11:07:14 PM »
Qistina,

first, the popup is only being shown to users of the free antivirus, or users of a pirated version of the paid antivirus. Are you suggesting that you have a properly licensed copy of avast Professional Edition and the popup is still being shown?

Another thing is that we're now at version 5.0. Next month, we should have version 5.1, and relatively soon after that also version 6.0. How long did you want to stay on v4.8? Besides Win 95/98/ME users, I can't really think of any reason why you would want to keep v4.8 as v5.0 is better in probably any aspect. I'd say it's really time to move on.

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

12-es_csaj

« Reply #37 on: October 23, 2010, 11:41:37 PM »
I have manage to rid off the pop up. It only wasting time to argue with you guys. I only regret that Avast didn't apologize.

What to say, that is corporate attitude today.

So your problem is that there is an AV which is faster, better, newer and so on than the avast! 4.8?
I saw an avast! alert (about to expire and version 5) in another PC, and it's owner didn't install 5.0. And she didn't read the alert!!!
AVAST Software offers to have all the users a better protection! Is it a problem?

Offline Muad'Dib

• The underwater sound of the Antarctic Ocean
« Reply #38 on: October 24, 2010, 12:31:50 AM »
Qistina,

I agree with you 100%. There is no legit reason for such an annoying "alert" constantly popping up (and no way to disable it, except for the hack mentioned in this thread). At work, we were told to remove Avast! from work computers because of this problem. The alert came up at several "inconvenient" times, and two specifically caused the higher-ups to demand its removal: 1) During a presentation (which was being webcast to many remote locations), annoying to say the least.  2) During the monitoring of a live video-feed for medical research - this blocking of the screen by the update warning potentially could have resulted in injury to the patient being observed. Fortunately, it did not result in any injury, however it did cause some loss of data of the procedure while it was being recorded. This was the proverbial straw that resulted in the order to remove the software from all work machines.

If the purpose of such an alert is to make sure the user is protected, then why not simply cause the alert to be displayed each time the user asks to update the iAVS database? That is a logical time for the user to be notified, and it's appearance is able to be controlled by the user. Even when we had Avast! v4 installed on the work machines, we did not enable automatic updates, because we wanted to control which programs were running during critical operations. If we had gotten warnings about the new program version every time we did a manual iAVS update, it would have achieved the same purpose, been under our control, and also not have been dangerous, nor even that annoying.

I like and use Avast! (now only at home), but the uncontrollable notices about the new version were enough to cause our department to switch to another program. Maybe we have less protection, but at least we don't have to risk potential problems cause by such notices.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #39 on: October 24, 2010, 01:03:08 AM »
You obviously didn't bother to read Vlk's post, as Qistina is purporting to be using avast 4.8 Pro. So if this is a legit copy he shouldn't be getting any pop-up.

Qistina,

first, the popup is only being shown to users of the free antivirus, or users of a pirated version of the paid antivirus. Are you suggesting that you have a properly licensed copy of avast Professional Edition and the popup is still being shown?
<snip>

Thanks
Vlk

As for your own comment about 'at work' we were told to remove Avast! from work computers because of this problem.

The same should be true of your systems if using legit Pro versions as you should be using avast avast Pro, you too shouldn't be getting any pop-ups. So unless you are using the free version 'at work' (against the terms of use) or don't have legit copies of avast pro the pop-up shouldn't have been troubling you at all.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Omid Farhang

• Frontend Developer
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • I wish I could write longer personal text!!
    • Homepage
« Reply #40 on: October 24, 2010, 01:09:10 AM »
I don't like this topic and how it's being continued, they are blaming avast for what it did NOT done wrong  :(
« Last Edit: October 24, 2010, 01:16:59 AM by Omid Farhang »
Twitter: OmidFarhangEn - OS: Manjaro KDE

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #41 on: October 24, 2010, 01:36:00 AM »
Qistina, Please, upload (attach) the avast log: C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast5\Setup\setup.log
If the file is too big for the forum, post the last 400-500 lines of it.
The best things in life are free.

Offline Muad'Dib

• The underwater sound of the Antarctic Ocean
« Reply #42 on: October 24, 2010, 02:31:06 AM »
DavidR,

I work at a university, and while I know there were many purchased copies of Avast! in our department, I'm sure there were some copies of Avast! free installed on some machines (and of course there were copies of the free version on personal laptops). To be fair, while the website eventually tells the user that non-home use requires that the software be purchased, the EULA that accompanies the software does NOT clearly specify such restrictions, and that is what many people will read to determine whether they can legitimately run the software on their machine.

But that is somewhat besides the point, it was the inability to control the alert that caused the higher-ups to order a removal of the software. How were they supposed to know this alert only appears on the free version (I didn't know this until I read it in the forums)? And even if they had learned this fact, I doubt some of them would have cared. A program behaved uncontrollably - there were no user settings that could turn off the alert, this was then a risk they weren't willing to take - hence the order to remove the program. By forcing the display of the alert, decisions were made which resulted in stopping future sales of a program.

Now alerts that appear on hacked versions of the non-free software is a totally different issue. ALWIL/AVAST has every right to protect against such theft (though it might be more useful to tell the user that they are running a hacked copy, instead of simply offering them an upgrade to the next version).

I don't want to get into a continuing argument about this, I made my point in my previous post, and tried to clarify it little more in this one. I'm simply saying what happened, and the consequences that resulted. It is either something that ALWIL/AVAST can learn from, or can choose to ignore, I'm not going to worry about it. I use Avast! on my personal computer, but I no longer have that choice on my work machine.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2010, 03:01:23 AM by Muad'Dib »

Wasindop

« Reply #43 on: October 24, 2010, 04:07:59 AM »
It is possible, at least i managed to get rid of it. When the window pop up, enter the task manager right click the task that represents the ad, rightclick and choose "go to process". Afterwards find that file in the avast! folder and remove it. Even if it worked for me, ill tell you to do it at your own risk.

Azumo

« Reply #44 on: October 24, 2010, 06:49:38 AM »
Not sure if that's the correct topic, but guess it suits best for my problem.

My avast! 4.8 Professional registration key expires @ 7th Feb 2015.  Avast! 4.8 Professional was installed for a fee by the salesmen at the dealership I bought my notebook at. I get the annoying messages offering me to upgrade to FREE version of avast! 5, while I have bought a license for avast! 4.8 and it did not expired yet. What should I do?
« Last Edit: October 24, 2010, 07:00:49 AM by Azumo »