When I first got the Desktop bug, I got the pop-ups and knew something was wrong. My first step was to go to msconfig and uncheck everything that wasn't supposed to be there (there's only 4 items in my msconfig); wrote down the reg locations, searched and delete them; unchecked them as well in the Services section of msconfig; went to Prefetch and deleted the items from there; went to my Startup folder and deleted "them\it"; ditto with Add\Remove Programs; ran Avast, SBS&D and SuperAntispyware.
It was only then when I rebooted because I felt I had crippled "it" enough to where I could get expert help removing all of it. I couldn't get on the web, but I just turned the modem off for a minute, turned it back on and I had a connection and was then able to wipe it out.
So, Dude, while I have a basic understanding of how to cripple a bug, I just want to see how good Avast is in detecting stuff that wasn't included in the Spycar tests.
And, as I said, I'm on my breakme drive so if I get something, it's OK because I'll just do an XXClone and I'm golden.