Author Topic: Two annoying problems with the latest free version  (Read 6638 times)

jfri

Two annoying problems with the latest free version
« on: October 22, 2010, 02:21:54 PM »
After upgrading to the latest free version I encounter this problem
1) When starting MS Outlook 2000 I get a window pop up saying that a plugin ashOutXt.dll can't be loaded or installed. That file is indeed in my avast folder. Using detect and repair from oulook didn't solve the problen.
2) Like before after booting the computer and hearing the voice saying my avast database has been updated I get a popup window saying that the navigation to the webpage has been aborted.
Why? Every time I tick the checkbox saying don't display this window more. Still it keeps pooping up.

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
Re: Two annoying problems with the latest free version
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2010, 03:54:01 PM »
Hi jfri:   
Don't know if this will solve the problem but I had same issue while back. Solved it with an install repair: Go to Add/Remove Programs from Control panel and then scoll to Avast. Click on CHANGE/REMOVE. When Avast install window appears choose "Repair". YOU DIDN"T STATE WHAT OS YOU ARE USING  ???however...
It worked for me on WINDOWS XP. with the FREE version of Avast.This may also fix issue #2
If this does not fix the issue, you may have to do complete clean uninstall-- and then reinstall Avast. ;D

Befree

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2010, 05:03:28 PM »
After upgrading to the latest free version I encounter this problem
1) When starting MS Outlook 2000 I get a window pop up saying that a plugin ashOutXt.dll can't be loaded or installed. That file is indeed in my avast folder. Using detect and repair from oulook didn't solve the problen.
2) Like before after booting the computer and hearing the voice saying my avast database has been updated I get a popup window saying that the navigation to the webpage has been aborted.
Why? Every time I tick the checkbox saying don't display this window more. Still it keeps pooping up.

Hi jfri, this is so true! Same thing happens to me in Microsoft Outlook. My PC's OS is XP.
And one more thing: the voice doesn't even say my Avast database has been updated because Avast doesn't get started at all! Not even when I pick up from the Start Menu...
What's wrong with the latest version? I had to go back to the 4.x.x...

Befree

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2010, 05:16:04 PM »
Hi jfri:   
Don't know if this will solve the problem but I had same issue while back. Solved it with an install repair: Go to Add/Remove Programs from Control panel and then scoll to Avast. Click on CHANGE/REMOVE. When Avast install window appears choose "Repair". YOU DIDN"T STATE WHAT OS YOU ARE USING  ???however...
It worked for me on WINDOWS XP. with the FREE version of Avast.This may also fix issue #2
If this does not fix the issue, you may have to do complete clean uninstall-- and then reinstall Avast. ;D

I even tried to "Repair" and it didn't work...Uninstall and installing it over... and over... and it didn't work in my Windows XP...! :(

gauron

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2010, 05:33:32 PM »
I need help with the free version.
Its totally slows down the computer and always crashes the videos.
How can i delete it because i cant find an uninstall.

ArminPasalic!

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2010, 05:44:26 PM »
Follow these Steps:

1. Uninstall Avast! and restart
2. Download this http://public.avast.com/~forejt/aswClear.exe
3. Then download these Softwares
CCLEANER:
http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download/standard
DISK DEFRAG:
http://download.cnet.com/Auslogics-Disk-Defrag/3000-2094_4-10567503.html?part=dl-6267754&subj=dl&tag=button
4. After installing this, run the ASWCLEAR.exe and restart
5. After Restart, run CCLEANER - You will see to the left there is TAPS. Look for "REGISTRY" Now, clean up Registry(BACK IT UP BEFORE CLEANING IT)
6. Now run Auslogics Disk Defrag - This will clean your system up(look for errors etc) but also speed your PC up.
7. Reinstall Avast!

This is how I fixed my problems - If it crashes something, the system is slow, Avast! not detecting etc. This how I fix it then.

Report back if any issues. :)

« Last Edit: October 22, 2010, 06:06:55 PM by ArminPasalic! »

Le Boule

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2010, 07:34:03 PM »
Thread got sidetracked.   :P

jfri and Befree - see if the following link will help you.  There are references to other threads in this one also. If you still have problems maybe one of the "mods" will be able to offer you some better advice.

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=59527.0

Befree

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2010, 08:26:16 PM »
Hi Armin, I will try these few steps to fix my Avast - only, can you tell me how do I back up Registry?
Tks! ;)

Befree

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2010, 08:28:54 PM »
Hi Le Boule!
Tks for your post, I will try it as well!

ArminPasalic!

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2010, 08:32:09 PM »
Hi Armin, I will try these few steps to fix my Avast - only, can you tell me how do I back up Registry?
Tks! ;)
Befree, CCLEANER will ask you if you wanna backup the registry - I suggest you make a new folder, and put the Registry Backups there. ;)

Befree

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2010, 08:40:40 PM »
Hi thanks! I got it! :P

ArminPasalic!

« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2010, 08:51:38 PM »
Hi thanks! I got it! :P
Did you reinstall Avast? Does it work perfectly? No crashes?  8)

jfri

« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2010, 03:00:00 PM »
Follow these Steps:

1. Uninstall Avast! and restart
2. Download this http://public.avast.com/~forejt/aswClear.exe
3. Then download these Softwares
CCLEANER:
http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download/standard
DISK DEFRAG:
http://download.cnet.com/Auslogics-Disk-Defrag/3000-2094_4-10567503.html?part=dl-6267754&subj=dl&tag=button
4. After installing this, run the ASWCLEAR.exe and restart
5. After Restart, run CCLEANER - You will see to the left there is TAPS. Look for "REGISTRY" Now, clean up Registry(BACK IT UP BEFORE CLEANING IT)
6. Now run Auslogics Disk Defrag - This will clean your system up(look for errors etc) but also speed your PC up.
7. Reinstall Avast!

This is how I fixed my problems - If it crashes something, the system is slow, Avast! not detecting etc. This how I fix it then.

Report back if any issues. :)

I have tried that now and the outlook problem remains as before.