Author Topic: Avast 5.0.677 blocking IE8 & Firefox from connecting to the internet  (Read 4861 times)

greyhnds

I am running Avast Free with Windows XP SP3. As of yesterday my internet browsers can't connect.  I ran 4 different virus/trojan scans, 3 different malware/spyware scans, CCleaner and 2 other disk cleaners, 2 registry cleaners.  Nothing worked.

I disabled the firewall and still couldn't connect.  I updated Avast and still couldn't connect.  I figured out that Outlook would let me online through it and thought that was weird.  Used Outlook to search for solutions and tried a few but nothing worked.  Only thing that will work is to disable the Avast Web Shield.  I tried with and without my FW and it worked both ways.

After I got connected in IE I opened some websites and then enabled the web shield.  I tried to refresh the websites and they couldn't connect.  Disable the web shield and they worked again by just clicking refresh.  What's going on!  Is there anything that can be done or do I have to find another free antivirus program?

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: Avast 5.0.677 blocking IE8 & Firefox from connecting to the internet
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2010, 03:03:28 AM »
Try deleting the rules you have for avast! in the firewall, so they are created again......

kirbeye

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2010, 08:14:58 AM »
I just started having the same problem...Avast web shield blocking port 80...I have tried just about everything suggested on this forum...no luck..only solution seems to be to delete port 80 from troubleshoot / redirect page..or just disable the web shield. Strange thing is: some web sites open just fine with the web shield activated ( banking for example ) also email and Avast updates work fine. I have run scans with Malwarebytes Anti Malware, registry mechanic, and Avast of course...ALL coming up negative...Also I have run Ccleaner to delete any junk files. I think Avast 5.0.677 is awesome ( until this glitch arose ) I would like to keep it and NOT go back to AVG...hopefully a fix is in the works ! Any other ideas ??  
BTW: this problem is not happening in my desktop computer...only my laptop seems to be affected. I am running XP SP3 with IE8 in both. I have tried switching to Firefox and re-installing Avast to no avail..I also tried bypassing the router and connecting the laptop directly to the modem...again..NO luck.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2010, 08:20:58 AM by kirbeye »

osants911

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2010, 09:25:36 AM »
Have you tried to add AvastSvc.exe to your firewall's exclusions?

If you have installed with default setting, it is located under

C:/Program Files/Alwil Software/Avast5/

Hope this helps

The Dude 321

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2010, 08:03:53 PM »
I have had this problem and it is not a problem with your AV, a system file has been deleted or unable to run.

But, the truth is I have forgotten how to re-enable it. After having this problem, I simply re-installed XP and everything was fine. I think that a virus damaged the computer while it was active and make that irreversible.

I always suggest a clean re-installation when you cannot connect to the internet due to the malfunction of a system file.

Cheers
The Dude 321

The Dude 321

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2010, 08:04:58 PM »
I believe that this person has encountered a similar problem to yours if not identical! :D

Cheers

Offline Chaul

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2010, 09:08:11 PM »
I got my web browsers connecting again after stopping the Web Shield. The problems reappear as soon as I enable it. I started having this problem today.

pdafreak

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2010, 10:00:25 PM »
have you try the winsock repair
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=65284.msg552216#msg552216

I'm glad things are sorted out for the above posters.  Since I did alert the Avast Team about this issue and it appears to be a one-time event.  I do not see that looking for another AV software is warranted, but it is your decision.  I hope you will stick around.  Thank you again.  :)

Below are links in case they are needed for others looking for the Winsockfix Utility.

Winsockfix Utility:

Windows XP - http://majorgeeks.com/WinSock_XP_Fix_d4372.html

Vista - http://www.mydigitallife.info/2007/06/18/repair-and-reset-windows-vista-tcpip-winsock-catalog-corruption/

Windows 7 - http://windows7themes.net/winsock-fix-for-windows-7.html

Offline Chaul

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2010, 07:45:41 AM »
Ok, I ran the batch file for Windows 7.. and it works now.

I don't know why it malfunctioned. I did change user account type and modified UAC, but Avast had also updated the definition files and I had upgraded graphics card drivers, using driver sweeper. I reinstalled some apps. I did too many things to be able to tell which change broke it and later after a reboot I noticed I can't access the web anymore.

kirbeye

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2010, 08:51:40 AM »
Thank you PDAFREAK for your solution re: winsockfix....I downloaded and ran it ...PROBLEM SOLVED..everything is back to normal !! Pass this on, a lot of people are having this problem...

cheers...