Author Topic: Spam filter not working in 5.0.677 with my MS Outlook 2007 POP3 account  (Read 13447 times)

Coach

My OS is Vista. I have been using Avast free for several years and just upgraded to AIS 5.0.677.
My email client is Outlook 2007.
Outlook's Junk E-mail was working until I updraded to AIS last week. Now the Outlook Junk E-Mail folder has the red "slashed circle" over it.
I have been to the GUI for Avast control / Antispam & Blockers.

Mark in subjuect of spam messages has a check with  ***SPAM*** in the line below it. I have not been able to block any spam since installing 5.0.677.
I played around with the below (MS Outlook only) setting.
MS Outlook only has a check in the first box  Automatically move spam messages to the junk folder.  In the blank below that I named the Junk mail folder  Avast junk mail and added a personal folder with that name to my Outlook.
I have been to the Outlook / Tools / Trust Center / Add-ins    avast! Antispam is active there
file name is asOutExt.dll

In the Manage: Exchange Client Extensions / Go  I see Avast 5 with a check and  an Install button. I have played around with it to no avail.

I would appreciate any help as I like to have the spam filered.
Coach

The Dude 321

Re: Spam filter not working in 5.0.677 with my MS Outlook 2007 POP3 account
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2010, 07:31:28 PM »
I think the SPAM filter is actually an add on for out-look. Make sure, that you enable all add-ons.

Cheers :)

ImWarm

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2010, 08:34:07 AM »
I have the same problem. I think there's some kind if issue between Office 2007 and Avasts Antispam module. :( It works fine for 2010 on my other machine.

Coach

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2010, 04:43:30 PM »
I am still not able to get the spam filter running.
I went to Outlook / Tools / Trust Center / Add-inns... There I found Avast Antispam disabled.
When I select it and go down to Manage: COM Add-inns / Go... I get a box with 11 items. avast! Antispam is one of them and it is UNCHECKED. When I try to put a checkt there I get a new box that says "This add-in is installed for all users on this computer, and con only be conncected or diconnected by an administrator AND it will not let me put a check in the box. Problems now, Well I am using my Vista compuuter now as an administrator.

When I go back to the Add-ins window and Manage: Exchange Client Extensions / Go... I get a window
where I CAN put a check in the avast! 5 box. The ok button does nothing that I can tell. If I hit the install button, I get 7  ***.ecf files or when I select "All files" from the drop type box I get some ****.dll files but none seem to be related to avast.

ImWarm

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2010, 06:01:03 PM »
You have to right-click Outlook 2007 and select Run as Administrator to be able to change the settings in Addins.

ack1961

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2010, 07:55:57 PM »
Same problem here.
Have Outlook 2007 SP2 and Avast! Internet Security 5.0.677.
Addin "avast! Antispam" is active but nothing is getting filtered even emails from address on blacklist are being allowed through. Tried re-installing both Outlook and avast! to no avail.

Submitted a support request to avast with all config settings but they have yet to come up with anything.

The Free version worked much better ... what on earth possessed me to pay for this version!

Coach

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2010, 08:02:54 PM »
I have tried several things as well. No joy yet.  I do not know if MS is the problem or Avast is.
I hope some one comes up with a solution. I was getting better spam filtering with my plain old Outlook Junk E-mail feature.

Offline Charyb-0

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2010, 08:59:45 PM »
Maybe this will help. https://support.avast.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=458&nav=0,2,64

Have you input your email servers settings in avast then disabled ssl in your email client and set ports to default avast settings? I would follow the instructions in the knowledgebase.

I am using Windows Live Mail with gmail (smtp and imap). I realize you are using POP but the instructions are very similar with the exception of which default ports are to be used in your email client ie. pop3 (110), smtp (25), or imap(143).
« Last Edit: November 16, 2010, 11:05:37 PM by Charyb »

Coach

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2010, 04:06:29 PM »
I think I have my Junk E-mail filtering problem solved. I never had the encryp. feature running in my email client (MS Outlook) so that was not my problem. I went through the entire Real time Shields (one tab  at a time) looking at every Expert Settings. I did the same thing with the Antispam & Blockers. I unchecked and rechecked the boxes I thought needed to be checked. I did that yesterday. This morning I had 12 entires in my Junk E-mail folder --- JOY!!

I wish I could say what exactly fixed my problemm, but I cannot.

Thanks to the posters for offering solutions.

ack1961

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2010, 12:10:42 AM »
I don't use SSL either but I checked all the settings anyway and all looked OK. Went through all the Real time shields unchecking everything. Restarted the PC, and then reset all the settings previously removed and restarted again. It still isn't scanning any emails or filterring emails from my blocked senders list.

I've given up trying to get it to work myself and instead re-configured Outlook's Junk E-mail options choosing "High" and added a gmail account to the blocked senders list....Emails from the blocked account are now being filtered ( by Outlook not avast! ) and I feel more confident that the barrage of overnight SPAM I tend to get will now be subject to some filtering but I'm still not impressed that having paid for avast! Internet Security to replace the free version, that one of the features I bought it for is not functional. I'm still awaiting suggestions from avast! support and will post again if they eventually come up with anything.

Offline Charyb-0

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2010, 12:15:26 AM »
I don't use SSL either but I checked all the settings anyway and all looked OK. Went through all the Real time shields unchecking everything. Restarted the PC, and then reset all the settings previously removed and restarted again. It still isn't scanning any emails or filterring emails from my blocked senders list.

I've given up trying to get it to work myself and instead re-configured Outlook's Junk E-mail options choosing "High" and added a gmail account to the blocked senders list....Emails from the blocked account are now being filtered ( by Outlook not avast! ) and I feel more confident that the barrage of overnight SPAM I tend to get will now be subject to some filtering but I'm still not impressed that having paid for avast! Internet Security to replace the free version, that one of the features I bought it for is not functional. I'm still awaiting suggestions from avast! support and will post again if they eventually come up with anything.

How did you setup your email client ports and your Avast settings? What email provider do you use? If it is webmail then Avast doesn't scan it. I will see if I can find something to back this up in the knowledge base. Did you set up your email client and Avast mail shield according to the information provided in the knowledge base? Not just encryption but all of the port settings in your email client and Avast too? Go to the Avast GUI and click Settings. Go down to troubleshooting then redirect settings. What do you see in the Mail fields? Can you post a screen print of this?  Sounds like a redirect problem to me.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2010, 12:47:11 AM by Charyb »

Coach

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2010, 03:46:55 AM »
I just looked at the statistic feature in my spam filtering in Avast. It is zero. It seems that MS Outlook is back to doing my spam filtering.
I too am disappointed that I paid for a full featured app. and it does not work. My email server is Bell South and it is a POP3 account. It is not web mail.
I will keep peeking back in here to see if anyone finds s solution for the avast spam problem.
I am not blaming avast but would hope they are reading these to see if they can help us.

Offline Charyb-0

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2010, 05:11:43 AM »
If you are not getting the required solution you could always submit a ticket or opt for phone support.
http://www.avast.com/support-contacts

Will you please allow me to double check the redirect settings?

First, I need the following questions answered.
1. What port is used by your email provider?
2. What encryption is used (ssl or tls)?

Please post a screen print of the areas that I have attached.

The first is of the SSL mail accounts located in the mail shield expert settings.
The second is your email client properties advance tab.
The third is located under Avast settings/troubleshooting/redirect settings.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2010, 04:34:31 PM by Charyb »

Coach

« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2010, 09:26:54 PM »
Incoming server for my only account uses port 110.
There is encryption hence no SSL necessary.

I don't know if I have the screen prints attached properly.
Thanks

Offline Charyb-0

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2010, 09:55:21 PM »
There is no way it can work the way you have it set. You are not filtering your email through Avast! Just think of Avast as the middle man here.

Please doublecheck with your email provider the ports (incoming and outgoing) that they use and what the host name  is(incoming and outgoing) and encryption so that we can input it into Avast. Did you manually enter 110 and 25 at incoming server and outgoing server? If you did then what ports were there prior to you doing this?

Also please post a screen print of the outgoing server tab in your email properties. This may give me the answer I need.

See attachment

Your Avast settings need to look similar to the avast attachment but need to have your host name and ports that your email provider is using. Is it pop.att.yahoo.com (port 995) and smtp.att.yahoo.com (port 465)? I know bellsouth was bought out by att. Please enter what is in bold into Avast mail accounts and select the encryption method (I assume it should be SSL). Your internet email settings should be fine (pop3 port 110) and (smtp port 25) with encryption unchecked. I am just guessing if the host names and ports are correct. From what I can find with a google search they are correct. You will need to verify it. Enter it exactly as I have shown in the attachment. Disregard the first two lines because those are mine. I went ahead and added your settings into mine for example purposes.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2010, 12:38:33 AM by Charyb »