Author Topic: avast! for FreeBSD [beta] now available!  (Read 9194 times)

Offline Vlk

• Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
avast! for FreeBSD [beta] now available!
« on: August 10, 2004, 06:21:34 PM »
Hi,

we're looking for testers of our upcoming avast! for the FreeBSD platform. We have released a beta version (labeled 1.0.6b).

Please download the installation package from: http://www2.asw.cz/~vlk/avast4freebsd-1.0.6b-i386.tar.gz

This is for the Intel x86 platform only.

A mail scanner module and HOWTO describing how to integrate it with the most popular MTA's is included.

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re:avast! for FreeBSD [beta] now available!
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2004, 04:24:41 PM »
I would love to try it for you, but for some odd reason I can't get X (graphic interface) to work although I did select to use it during installation.

sund

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2004, 03:52:15 PM »
Hi,

I have had the package, i got a question when looking at avastmilter.c for sendmail in this package, that is:
  In the function of "A4FI_BODY", the code just saves the whole body of a message as a file for scanning, without any parsing(MIME) and decoding (base64).  Could the AVAST Scan Server scan this kind of file ?
   By the way, i don't understand very much about the role of DAZUKO in AVAST, could you please give me a brief explain.

Thanks in advance,

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2004, 10:54:48 PM »
I admit I don't know anything about the Linux version, so I may be completely wrong, but I think (very briefly) that
- the avast! scanner handles the file as an archive where MIME is a supported format; so it's probably able to handle the decoding internally
- dazuko is some kind of on-access scanner support (i.e. "resident protection" in windows)

Dublin

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2004, 02:53:49 PM »
Dazuko is the kernel module which handle file access (openig, closing...). Dazuko is needed only for on-access scanner (avastguard).
BTW: FreeBSD version will be released this week

sund

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2004, 03:20:28 PM »
Thanks guys, help me a lot !