Author Topic: Firefox sandboxed. How to save downloaded files?  (Read 7317 times)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Firefox sandboxed. How to save downloaded files?
« on: July 03, 2010, 03:32:36 PM »
I've added the download folder to the exclusion list of the virtualized processes (D:\Install\*).
Firefox is set to save files to that folder also.
But I can't save any downloaded file.
Is it how a sandboxed browser should work?

It's make me think sandboxing is not for me... Do people never download?  ::) ???
The best things in life are free.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Firefox sandboxed. How to save downloaded files?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2010, 03:53:08 PM »
Solved? Not sure...

1. Seems to be a RequestPolicy issue... The redirection was not able to finish when I was using FreeDownloadManager.
2. When it worked (the file was saved) I've use FDM and not the Firefox downloader.

Still can't save the file using Firefox... The download finishes but the file is not there...

DavidCo

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2010, 04:15:11 PM »
Hi Tech
I have FF 3.6.6 installed & sandboxed
I have FF using the default download folder
I use IDM without any problem
I also tried the 'alt' key override for IDM to force FF to download itself - it did and into the usual folder
Could it be due to your non-default folder

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2010, 05:22:15 PM »
Yes, it could be, but then it would be a bug into avast Sandbox, wouldn't it?

GloobyGoob

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2010, 06:31:42 PM »
Well, is the option "Automatically detect default locations for saved/downloaded files and save files to these locations outside the sandbox" checked? If it's not then all downloads will be sandboxed/virtualized and never reach your computer. You can leave it on if you want to virtualize downloads intentionally. (For example, if you want to download a suspicious file, you should virtualize the download and scan it in the sandbox before actually downloading it to your system)
« Last Edit: July 03, 2010, 06:56:03 PM by GloobyGoob »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2010, 08:09:41 PM »
Well, is the option "Automatically detect default locations for saved/downloaded files and save files to these locations outside the sandbox" checked?
Sure it is.
I do not have a problem of download the file (as Web Shield should take care of it). My problem would be at execution.
Anyway, I need to have the file downloaded first... If I got nothing, no download, there is a problem with (my) sandbox.

arminpq

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2010, 08:48:40 PM »
I have same Problem with Google Chrome. I only want sandbox to Virtulize my downloaded files when I hit "save on Desktop." So, I could just download whatever I want, and save it on desktop, run it, and have it 24/7 in a Sandbox.
Cheers!
Armin.

DavidCo

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2010, 09:00:11 PM »
I am using Vista HP 32bit without any problem with sandbox

sergio12

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2010, 08:33:23 PM »
I have same Problem with Firefox 3.68 and AVAST 5.0.594.
The option "Automatically detect default locations for saved/downloaded files and save files to these locations outside the sandbox" is CHECKED. The JPG, GIF, TXT-Files are downloaded and i can see these files in the Windows-Explorer (User\Own Data\Downloads). But i can't see EXE, MSI and ZIP-Files. These can i see only in the Sandbox-Mode, but not in Windows-Explorer. With MS IE 8 i have not problems.

My System: Windows XP Pro SP3 32 bit. Sorry, my English!

YoKenny

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2010, 10:37:22 PM »
I am using Vista HP 32bit without any problem with sandbox
That's good.

Maybe you need to read:
What My Wife Loves About Windows 7
http://billpstudios.blogspot.com/2010/08/what-my-wife-loves-about-windows-7.html

I upgraded to Windows 7 and love it.

Offline DraKuL

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2010, 11:50:32 AM »
I still dont understand it :S i have that auto detect and save outside the sandbox ticked, but still i dont know where my downloads go. anyway i downloaded a torrent file while the browser was running in sandbox mode, then i opened it and apparently it opened the torrent download software also in sandbox mode but i didnt notice it, anyway its done downloading now, but can someone tell me how to access them ? how can we access the files stored in the sandbox ?
ASUS ROG Mobo - AMD Ryzen 7 3700X| RAM 32.00GB | 4TB HDD +1TB SSD | ATI Radeon RX 5700 XT 8GB
Windows 10 Pro 64bit |Avast One Individual | MBAM PRO - RealTime | SUPERAntiSpyware PRO |CC Cleaner | Chrome | Firefox |(The Latest Release of all the Software)