Author Topic: Battle of Firewalls - Which one is the best?  (Read 9521 times)

Offline Omid Farhang

• Frontend Developer
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • I wish I could write longer personal text!!
    • Homepage
Re: Battle of Firewalls - Which one is the best?
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2010, 04:51:43 PM »
My Aqnitum Outpost Firewall Pro is relatively user friendly in that way and there are others that don't constantly bombard the user with decisions to make.
Agree! Agnitum is the only standalone firewall that I really trust and relay, even because of some reason I'm in touch with their support daily via mail and has a really nice customer support too (Though, a poor forum, not friendly and useful like avast forum).
Twitter: OmidFarhangEn - OS: Manjaro KDE

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2010, 05:06:59 PM »
Agreed on their forum (though for some strange reason it isn't actually an official forum), nowhere close the the usefulness and friendliness of the avast forum ;D
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

CharleyO

« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2010, 06:17:41 PM »

There is only one program that is allowed unrestricted through my firewall and that is avast. All others must ask ... including and especially browsers. When a program wants out, it must have my OK. It is a simple & quick click for yes or no. The security of my computer is worth the little bit of effort this takes from me.

rdmaloyjr

« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2010, 11:27:10 PM »
I've tried a zillion firewalls, I will only recommend two.

ZoneAlarm Pro & ZoneAlarm Free.  They're the best.

Which do you want....Free or Pro?

http://www.filehippo.com/download_zonealarm_free/

http://www.zonealarm.com/security/en-us/zonealarm-pro-firewall-anti-spyware.htm

dansorin

« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2010, 05:19:29 PM »
I haven't use ZA in ages, nowadays it's not what it used to be (according to every review I've seen). my top pick is Outpost Firewall Pro (after trying lately Online Armor, PC Tools firewall 5 & 6, Outpost Firewall free).

nsm0220

« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2010, 07:49:47 AM »
comodo in my option is the best firewall around 

iRonzel

« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2010, 05:46:22 PM »
I've tried a zillion firewalls, I will only recommend two.

ZoneAlarm Pro & ZoneAlarm Free.  They're the best.

Which do you want....Free or Pro?

http://www.filehippo.com/download_zonealarm_free/

http://www.zonealarm.com/security/en-us/zonealarm-pro-firewall-anti-spyware.htm

If you have a computer with good resources, this can be a good alternative. I used it before, and don't like to me because it used a lot of resource. But since it latest version, have greatly improved this important condition (the use of resources) a lot.

DarkMasters

« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2010, 07:49:59 PM »
Have anyone tried Privatefirewall 7.0.21.1 in Win 7 x64? or maybe Comodo 5 (firewall only)?
I've seen many posts regarding this firewall but can't find any post about the impact of using third party firewall (either Privatefirewall or CIS 5) to the internet connection speed.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2010, 06:33:52 PM »
Have anyone tried Privatefirewall 7.0.21.1 in Win 7 x64? or maybe Comodo 5 (firewall only)?
I've seen many posts regarding this firewall but can't find any post about the impact of using third party firewall (either Privatefirewall or CIS 5) to the internet connection speed.
Privatefirewall is very good, lite and fast with no slow down at all.
There should be a new version out very soon that will minimize the popup's even more and some new feature's as well.

Dch48

« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2010, 06:54:26 PM »
Comodo 5 Firewall only is very good. You can choose to use the HIPS portion or not at installation. I chose just the basic enterprise strength firewall option and it works very well indeed.