Author Topic: Screen saver module  (Read 14232 times)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re:Screen saver module
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2004, 02:50:05 PM »
Is there anything special about the files in the left folder (or about the CAB file)...  such that read-only flag set?

Not a single file is read-only... the cab file not either...
But, I guess, I'm with FAT32...  :-\ Could be something about this?

Can you please try to scan the file with Simple/Enhanced User Interface and check if the folders appear again?

No... very strange... not just a single temporary file... Througout scanning, archive files, etc.  ::)
The best things in life are free.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2004, 08:51:22 PM »
I don't think it could depend on the filesystem...
What are your exact settings of the Screen-saver task? Are you logged as an administrator when you run the screensaver?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2004, 03:53:17 AM »
I don't think it could depend on the filesystem...

Thanks for the information...

What are your exact settings of the Screen-saver task?

0. Webshots as the screen saver
1. Scan for virus
2. Loop
3. Change screen 3 seconds
4. All local disks
5. Scan all archives (contents)
6. Both sensibility choices (all file and extension check)
7. No exclusions
8. Interative action if virus were found
9. All packers
10. No alerts

Are you logged as an administrator when you run the screensaver?

Yes. But, maybe, when I'm not logged to any user the avast screen saver is running too (is the 'windows' default)...

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2004, 02:07:41 PM »
OK, I think we found the cause... and made a simple workaround, but it's not very nice.

The reason is the following: the operation of "opening an archive" is rather slow for some of the archives (such as CAB), and cannot be interrupted. Actually, opening the archive means extracting the whole archive to the TEMP folder (if it's done in a different way, scanning the CAB archives would be terribly slow, just as it was in avast! 4.0). Now - when the screensaver starts opening the archive and right at that moment, the screensaver is interrupted (by moving the mouse or typing something), the process is given a while (10 seconds, to be precise) to terminate and if it doesn't, it's "killed". By killing the process, the temporary files are left there.

For the future version, I changed the behavior a little - such that the scan is never killed this way; if you interrupt the scan when the archive is being opened, the screensaver just disappears, but keeps working on background until it's done with the operation. So, you interrupt the screensaver by moving your mouse, the screensaver disappears, but avast! still keeps on opening the archive for a while (so, you may see a heavy disk activity for a minute or two). I know it's not a perfect solution (which would be making the opening operation interruptable - but that would require rather heavy changes to the code).

An additional solution I'd suggest - exclude these big CAB files from the scanning ;)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2004, 03:00:44 PM »
Thanks Igor, I'll exclude that big CAB files only from the screen saver (not the global exclusion list). You're right, pk said the same to me by IM.
The same contents of that folders give you the answer.
Glad you found the problem and, at least, a workaround solution.