Author Topic: Avast Free Scanning Issues  (Read 2780 times)

JoeWood

Avast Free Scanning Issues
« on: October 26, 2010, 11:30:18 PM »
I started a full scan last might, and this morning it was only at 30% completed, frozen at C:\System Volume Information\Tracking.Log

I did a full scan today in safe mode, but after 2 hours it was only at 70% complete, it's speed was 6.1 MB a second and taking minutes to scan a single .jpg file, so I stopped it, and came here hoping I can find out what's wrong. This might be a computer issue and not necessarily a Avast problem.

Here's a short history- I've been having cpu spikes for the last week or so (was effecting my mouse movements alot), I think it might be from agent.exe but am not sure.

I did scans with Avast (which worked fine as always) malwarebytes, Spybot, and HouseCall (which said it found a rootkit). I also have winpatrol, spyware blaster, and Comodo firewall.

I did a chkdsc, disc cleanup, ran CCleaner, then a defrag. Halfway thru the defrag I had my hard drive fail ..

luckily I had a (4 month old) Acronis backup ( a mirror/clone?), and carbonite, so with a computer tech's help, and a new hard drive, I've been able to restore most of my data and all my programs it looks like.

Do you think my avast is corrupted from the 4 month old backup, is that why it's not scanning as it should? I did update it before scanning these last two times. Should I reinstall Avst 5? I downloaded the Avast removal tool just in case.

Not sure why, but the Tech put my old hard drive back in as a slave. Might that be causing problems with the scan?

I did a Hijack This scan and have the log if that will help. I'm still having the cpu spikes, hope someone can help :-)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Avast Free Scanning Issues
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2010, 11:38:17 PM »
Do you use Zone Alarm? It is updated?
It's an old issue...
The best things in life are free.

JoeWood

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2010, 11:50:41 PM »
No I don't have ZA now but I did, last year i think. I had issues with it (forget now what)and got Comodo.

I haven't had any problems with avast, for over a year, not until after my HD crash this weekend.

boy, I was just doing a malwarebytes scan and it froze on me, had to use task manager and shot it down.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2010, 11:57:50 PM by JoeWood »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2010, 11:56:09 PM »
It's safe to add C:\System Volume Information\Tracking.Log to the avast exclusion lists.
Can you test?

JoeWood

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2010, 12:00:42 AM »
OK I can try that, but today's scan in safe mode was up to 70% complete, way past last night's scan (30%)which froze.

I'll open Avast and see if I can add that exclusion.

edit- OK added it. What do you mean by Test, I should run a scan now?
« Last Edit: October 27, 2010, 12:03:38 AM by JoeWood »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2010, 12:03:18 AM »
OK I can try that, but today's scan in safe mode was up to 70% complete, way past last night's scan (30%)which froze.

i'll open Avast and see if I can add that exclusion.
You can also try to add it to the File Shield (resident, on access) exclusions.

JoeWood

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2010, 12:10:09 AM »
Did I do this right?

File Shield Settings > Exclusions, click on Add, and paste that path in? All three of the boxes are checked.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2010, 01:34:46 AM »
Yes.

JoeWood

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2010, 10:53:33 PM »
OK, I was able to scan no problem, thanks very much for the assistance :-) Really appreciate it!

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2010, 02:05:51 AM »
You're welcome. Feel free to come back any time you need help or just to change experiences 8)