Author Topic: No more virus please  (Read 3841 times)

fannymites

No more virus please
« on: August 11, 2004, 05:45:53 AM »
2 or 3 weeks ago I recieved my first ever email virus -
"Win32:Plexus [Wrm]"
Since then this same virus is being detected on a regular basis and at the time of posting, I received it twice in 5 minutes.
I generally move it to the chest, is this completely safe and is there any way it can spread?
 Also, is it safe to delete it from the chest and what exactly do I delete?
Finally, is there anything I can do to prevent it downloading to my computer?  Such as setting up filters on the email site?  The message subject tends to start with "Greetings" so I thought filtering out anything with that in the subject might catch some of them.

techie101

Re:No more virus please
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2004, 06:15:28 AM »
Since then this same virus is being detected on a regular basis and at the time of posting, I received it twice in 5 minutes.
Then, apparently, you have not removed the cause of the contamination.

I generally move it to the chest, is this completely safe and is there any way it can spread?
Anything sent to the virus is isolated from your system and can cause no harm.
You can safely delete those files.  Highlight the file or files you wish to delete.  Right click and select delete.  Done!

Finally, is there anything I can do to prevent it downloading to my computer?
Yes, but it depends on what you have already installed.  If you have Avast properly configured, then the virus should have been detected.
An email filter such as K-9 or Mailwasher can also prevent such "trash" from reaching your computer.

The message subject tends to start with "Greetings" so I thought filtering out anything with that in the subject might catch some of them.
How are you filtering out "Greetings"?  This should have done the trick.  What program are you using to filter?

Aliases:
I-Worm.Plexus.a
Plexus.A
TrojanDropper.Win32.Mudrop.h
W32.Explet.A@mm
W32/Dumaru-AK
W32/Plexus.A.worm
W32/Plexus.a@MM
W32/Plexus@MM
Win32.Mimail.W
Win32.Plexus.A
Worm.Win32.Plexus.a
WORM_PLEXUS.A

« Last Edit: August 11, 2004, 06:34:17 AM by Techie101 »

whocares

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2004, 06:31:47 AM »
Hi,

Could it be that you don't have all Windowsupdates applied ?

VirusInfo:
Link1

Link2

--> apply them immediately, or it and other network-worms will always come back..

If the file is ONLY found in the _RESTORE folder:
-> disable System Restore & Reboot  --> See link "VirusRemoval" below in my sig

;)

fannymites

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2004, 07:07:02 AM »
Then, apparently, you have not removed the cause of the contamination.
I should have mentioned, it's the same virus but the sender is different every time, I'm not receiving the same message again and again.
I don't use a program for filtering because I have never set up filters before, I just assumed there would be some option on the email site, I haven't looked.  The virus' are all coming from the account I use for forums and such, until now I've never had a problem with virus' or junkmail so I never bothered filtering. I have personal accounts which very few people know the address of and I never get virus' or junk mail with those.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2004, 11:54:08 AM »
I don't use a program for filtering because I have never set up filters before, I just assumed there would be some option on the email site, I haven't looked.  

The virus' are all coming from the account I use for forums and such, until now I've never had a problem with virus' or junkmail so I never bothered filtering.

I have personal accounts which very few people know the address of and I never get virus' or junk mail with those.
1. Now looks like a very good time to start, deleting this stuf from the mail servers rather than downloading it and catching the virus with avast, should be a last line of defence not a first line of defence. I use mailwasher pro (paid for version but there are other options) for this, deleting about 100 spam and suspect emails a day.

2. The likelyhood is that your emailaddress has been harvested using a bot (automated software set to find email addresses) scanning the web, forums, usenet, etc. etc. to find email addresses to ad to lists for future spam/malicious purposes.

3. Never say never, those people are a potential source of infection. If they are slapdash in their anti-virus proceedures, then they can be infected and quess whos email address is in their addressbook ??? that's right yours. So you get an email from a friend amd your email program lets it in, bingo, avast goes nuts firing off alarms.

Never rely on your ISP or anyone else to filter spam or virus infection, you have to take responsibility yourself.

Your virus would appear to have got in through a vulnerability that was patched by MS in 2003. So make sure your software is up to date, your OS, Browser, email program, anti-virus, firewall, etc. etc.

Have a look at my sig to get an idea of some (not all) of the programs I use for my defence.

David
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

techie101

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2004, 08:12:35 PM »
fannymites,

David is absolutely correct.  Your "pesonal" email has not been targeted yet but it could end up the same as your "general purpose" mail.

Forums usually are not the culprits, but other sites than can monitor the users on the forum and send spam-mail.

I suggest you install a simple to use email filter.  I have had great results with K-9 which is fairly simple to install, use and it works fine with Avat.

You can find K-9 and other email filters here:
www.wantdbest.com
www.snapfiles.com

Good luck