Author Topic: Avast & Windows 7 problem  (Read 11951 times)

Stibz

Avast & Windows 7 problem
« on: October 30, 2010, 11:29:00 AM »
Hi, I'm running avast, but for some reason this week, don't know IF it's after installing Windows updates or what, my computer is constantly showing a warning Issue, "Important Message", basically Windows is saying it does not detect any anti-virus protection on my machine opps  :o
Had Avast a long time without any problems, regular updates ect, so I don't know what is going on with Windows 7 and Avast  ???

Windows then wants you to install an anti virus program of it's choosing, when you go to updates
« Last Edit: October 30, 2010, 11:31:47 AM by Stibz »

SafeSurf

Re: Avast & Windows 7 problem
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2010, 11:41:15 AM »
Did you check your Action Center to see if it is recognizing Avast (AV)?

SafeSurf

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2010, 11:48:20 AM »
Sometimes, Windows Action Center stop recognizing your antivirus or firewall... The fix could be fairly easy for the most part.

1. Go to Control Panel and open Administrative tools.
2. Click on Services.
3. Go down to Windows Management Instrumentation.
4. Stop this service. Stop the Action Center service too.
    Let them Automatically start.
5. Exit out of this area to your desktop.
6. Right click Start and choose Explore.
7. Go to C:\windows\system32\wbem\repository.
    Delete this subdirectory ONLY.  Leave the others there.
    Sometimes, only using Unlocker http://ccollomb.free.fr/unlocker/, Delete FXP http://www.jrtwine.com/ or KillBox http://killbox.net/ you can delete these files.
8. Exit back to your desktop and reboot your computer (you might need to boot twice).

This will rebuild the deleted folder and the database.  Once restarted, Windows Action Center should show the correct information, and antivirus and firewall should now be recognized.

AndyJWS

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2010, 07:30:28 PM »
Thanks for the detailed instruction list there!

Unfortunately this hasn't worked for me and Windows 7 (Premium x64) still insists I don't have protection. I've also repaired the installation - no joy.

Avast seems to be running fine and auto-updates without issue... is there anything else I can try?

EDIT: Should point out, it has done this ever since install - and Avast was the first thing I installed once Windows was set up!
« Last Edit: November 02, 2010, 07:39:34 PM by AndyJWS »

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2010, 08:22:04 PM »
The windows action center appears to have inherited problems from the old windows security center (WSC), which commonly broke or got corrupt and didn't recognise the AV was installed (even though it was installed and running).

I don't know if this also works for win7 possible not if the Action Center is using a different service name not wscsvc, you would have to find the name for that:
* Click Start, Run and type CMD.EXE (note you will have to run this as admin to get round the UAC)

* Type this command and press Enter:

net stop wscsvc
net stop winmgmt

* Using Windows Explorer, rename the folder %windir%\System32\Wbem\Repository. (For example, %windir%\System32\Wbem\Repository_bad.). %windir% represents the path to the Windows directory, which is typically C:\Windows.

* Switch to Command Prompt window, and type the following and press ENTER after each line:

net start winmgmt
net start wscsvc

EXIT
Reboot
- Also this, check system variables - I found out why windows didn't recognized avast as my AV. It turned out that my Path environment variable had been messed up and it missed the "C:\Windows\System32\Wbem" part if you need to add that put a semi-colon ; after the last entry before you add the WBEM path part.

- Also see a topic created by Tech on this, http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=23457.0.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

AndyJWS

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2010, 10:56:59 PM »
Thanks; unfortunately still no joy and path settings are correct too.

Guess it's off to MS Support then!

YoKenny

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2010, 01:50:14 PM »
Action Center is working fine on my Windows 7 system.

I did have to do what DavidR recommended and get rid of Wbem\Repository

groucho

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2011, 10:22:53 PM »
Even though avast! is installed and running, Windows 7 Action Center sounds the alarm saying that "Windows did not find any anti-virus program on this computer." You can stop the Windows Management and Security Center services and then delete or rename the REPOSITORY folder (c:\windows\system32\wbem\repository) but that will not solve your problem. The Windows 7 Action Center has trouble detecting the current version of avast! and this problem must be addressed by both ALWIL and MICROSOFT.

spg SCOTT

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2011, 10:24:44 PM »
groucho, posting the same thing repeatedly in outdated topics is not helpful to anyone. Aside from the fact that it is wrong.
avast works fine with Win 7 action center
Please keep to your own topic.

Maddan

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2011, 09:04:57 PM »
I have 3 machines here all running W7 ultimate x64 and in all 3 action center says i dont have any AV or malware or firewall. Forgot runnin the lastest build of AIS
« Last Edit: February 07, 2011, 09:06:58 PM by Maddan »

YoKenny

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2011, 09:07:31 PM »
I have 3 machines here all running W7 ultimate x64 and in all 3 action center says i dont have any AV or malware or firewall
Please see:
Repairing and re-registering the WMI
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/repairwmi.htm

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2011, 09:08:08 PM »
This definitely appears to be system specific, as I am running win7 64bit and have never experienced this problem.  Did you reboot after updating ?