Author Topic: Preregistration and Missed Scans  (Read 2201 times)

ComputerDave

Preregistration and Missed Scans
« on: October 30, 2010, 02:20:42 PM »
Greetings,

We’re a small PC repair service, meaning that we turn over 100 machines or less a month.  For years I’ve used AVG , until the recent 2011 update which I am very disappointed with.  We always liked Avast, but avoided it due to its previously complicated registration process (for our clients).

Here’s a question that will make the moderators cringe, but keep in mind we’re trying to provide the easiest solution for some of our clients that struggle with even the simplest PC functions.  What would happen if we installed Avast (Free Version) on every machine and then register the product using our company name and email address?  Either way, after the year is up the phone will be ringing off the wall and remote sessions will be initiated to resolve the re-registration issue.  Just thought we could get that first registration out of the way for them.

Last question.  Thankfully Avast has a scheduler.  However if the machine is not running at the designated time, it does not start the missed scan when the machine is started at a later time.  Am I missing a setting?

Thanks in advance,

David

YoKenny

Re: Preregistration and Missed Scans
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2010, 02:26:41 PM »
Welcome ComputerDave

I find that avast! registration quite easy.

I have not had the need to set up scheduled scans as the resident protection is excellent.

By the way AVG 2011 registration is quite compex.

ComputerDave

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2010, 12:20:01 AM »
Well, if the registration process with the newest version of Avast is as simple as it seems right now, then that will be fine.  I did not know if it would later revert to it's complicated past when it comes time to renew in one year.  It's complicated past being that on previous versions you had to enter your email, and then they would send you a product key through your email that you had to enter to activate the product.  Again, easy for you and I, not so much for some of our clients.  In the past, with Advast, our clients would ignore the request to re-register, which is why we started using AVG.

Seriously, the free version of AVG (like AVG 8.0, 8.5, 9.0) did not require registration.  You just installed it, configured it, and sent it on it's way.

But back to Avast, it that's all there is to it, then fine.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2010, 12:30:21 AM »
The online reg use no key, just the name and a valid e-mail address

On-line registration is very simple and it's the preferred method for all users of avast Free Antivirus 5.x installed on a computer with standard Internet connectivity. To perform on-line registration follow these steps: http://support.avast.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=459

Last question.  Thankfully Avast has a scheduler.  However if the machine is not running at the designated time, it does not start the missed scan when the machine is started at a later time.  Am I missing a setting?
why not use the screen saver scan ?

« Last Edit: October 31, 2010, 12:32:29 AM by Pondus »