Author Topic: Problems with my avast  (Read 2733 times)

iamtheleague

Problems with my avast
« on: February 02, 2011, 05:26:24 AM »
My computer had been infected by trojans and my the next day my computer would refuse to start up. I installed avast off a friends computer and onto a flash drive. I started my computer in safe mode and downloaded avast onto my computer, did the scan and removed the problem.  It then told me to do another check before it restarts the computer which i clicked on. It then froze and after restarting the computer myself, the following happened; the Avast programme says its unsecure and the service stops, then it says the anti virus programme has stopped or is in a inconsistant state, please restart programme to resume protecting your system. After clicking on start programme nothing happens, can anyone talk me through my next step please  :)
   many thanks :)

swarnava

Re: Problems with my avast
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2011, 05:33:10 AM »
Which version of avast are you using? Can you tell actual name of the virus?

iamtheleague

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2011, 05:53:18 AM »
avast free antivirus 5, and the virus it is trying to remove says 'threat:win32:malware-gen'

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2011, 05:57:49 AM »
My computer had been infected by trojans and my the next day my computer would refuse to start up. I installed avast off a friends computer and onto a flash drive. I started my computer in safe mode and downloaded avast onto my computer, did the scan and removed the problem.  It then told me to do another check before it restarts the computer which i clicked on. It then froze and after restarting the computer myself, the following happened; the Avast programme says its unsecure and the service stops, then it says the anti virus programme has stopped or is in a inconsistant state, please restart programme to resume protecting your system. After clicking on start programme nothing happens, can anyone talk me through my next step please  :)
   many thanks :)

Hello iamtheleague: If I understand you correctly you did manage to install Avast on your computer and you did get rid of the threat. If so then you could try a repair of the Avast installation. Go to Control Panel. THen Add and Remove Program. Then choose Avast and Click "Change/Remove" when  option appear, scroll down all the way and choose 'Repair' Let that finish then reboot your computer and update Avast virus defintions and run a "Full System Scan"
Let us know how it goes. :)