Author Topic: toolbar and virus  (Read 2481 times)

socks1

toolbar and virus
« on: August 11, 2004, 02:23:43 PM »
I have my pc on automatic update and configured with standard shield onalways. Why then was a virus only found when I did a thorough scan. Surely the av should have picked this up straight away? Also I have found that I have a toolbar on my pc http://searchweb2.com/passthrough/popupbaropener.html. I have tried to get rid of it but I cannot. I have run adaware but nothing changes. Please help. With this toolbar I get 2 popups one telling me about my pc clock and the other with emoticons to download.
Could you pleae advise?
Thnks >:(

lee16

Re:toolbar and virus
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2004, 02:35:27 PM »
Surely the av should have picked this up straight away?

Unfortanatly this cannot always be done, it can pick up the bigger ones normaly, but viruses/worms are programed to avoid detection, but they can always be found if you do a scan, thats why most av companies advise you to do a scan at least once a week.
Also if you put the resident scanner to high, it should pick up more while in memory.

Also I have found that I have a toolbar on my pc http://searchweb2.com/passthrough/popupbaropener.html.

This is spyware/adware, not a virus, have you tryed the new version of ad-ware on it, or the old version new version of ad-ware (the new version came out 2 days ago on the 9th).
Also you could try other spyware scanners such as spybot or spysweeper .
If these problems persist, post a hijackthis log here, there are people who can advise you from them.

--lee
« Last Edit: August 11, 2004, 02:36:36 PM by lee16 »

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re:toolbar and virus
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2004, 04:14:35 PM »
Click on the link in my signature and follow the instructions on that page.