Author Topic: Migration path from Beta-2  (Read 7897 times)

nsi

Migration path from Beta-2
« on: August 11, 2004, 06:26:05 PM »
I have checked about the migration path from my actual Beta-2 version. It has run. On my production server I still have the big problem about growth of LDF files. What about upgrading to the RC-1 ? Will the files still be so big ?

Thanks

Sergio

gprzybyl

Re:Migration path from Beta-2
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2004, 06:42:14 PM »
Sergio,

From what I've seen the team has cut the amount of logging being done in RC1A by a huge amount.  I can now post an install log for a remote install where as before I could not.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2004, 06:49:36 PM »
nsi,

the problem with the ldf files is that they never shrink. Even if the log is emptied, they stay at the same size. This is because SQL server anticipates that if the log has growed that big once, it will need to grow to that size again. And resizing of files is an expensive operation...

What you could try once more is to back up the DB, delete the data files and restore the DB from the backup. I believe that should make the LDF file much, much smaller now.

Also, you can try consulting Google about this topic - the size of the SQL transaction log files has been discussed about zillion times...

Cheers,
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

nsi

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2004, 11:38:56 AM »
Dear Vlk, about your reply:

"What you could try once more is to back up the DB, delete the data files and restore the DB from the backup. I believe that should make the LDF file much, much smaller now."

Does it mean make the restore of the DB after the upgrading to the RC1a ?

Deleting the data files include delete the DB and create an empty DB from AMS maintenance ?

Greetings

Sergio

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2004, 09:43:16 AM »
Yes. This all assumes that you don't want to start from the scratch. Of course, if you're willing to lose the DB data, the easiest way would be just to drop the DB (using the Delete DB button in the Maintentance tool), delete the physical files (.ldf including) and recreate the DB (again the Maintentance tool).

But I believe the backup -> delete -> delete_files -> restore path should work as well...

Thanks
Vlk

nsi

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2004, 12:07:46 PM »
"This all assumes that you don't want to start from the scratch"
What does it mean start form the scratch?
What does it mean lose the DB data in our configuration ?

Thanks

Sergio

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2004, 12:40:47 PM »
What does it mean start form the scratch?
What does it mean lose the DB data in our configuration ?

It means to lose the data that are currently stored in the database. That is, the computer catalog, the custom tasks, the policies etc.