Author Topic: Avast Free 5.1.864- Boot time scan not working?  (Read 6365 times)

Jdonz94

Avast Free 5.1.864- Boot time scan not working?
« on: January 02, 2011, 06:59:59 PM »
Okay guys, so basically I installed the latest update, and I know that 64-bit boot time is now a feature. I have Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit. After the update, I do the restart, and then I schedule a boot time scan. However, when the computer reboots, it does not launch said scan. I have tried completely uninstalling Avast. I used the utility and everything, nothing works. I have tried to modify what it scans, and leave it the same. I just can not get this thing to work. I have even called Avast help lines, and the man told me that boot time scan is only available in the paid version of Internet Security, which I am sure isn't true, otherwise it would say so in the actual program. I am at a loss guys... any ideas? Thanks.

YoKenny

Re: Avast Free 5.1.864- Boot time scan not working?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2011, 07:07:34 PM »
I'm trying it right now on my Windows 7 system and it is running fine.  8)

I have never tried it before and am happy its working now.  :)

Jdonz94

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2011, 07:09:58 PM »
Well the problem is, that it should be working for me as well, there is literally no reason why it shouldn't. And how could you be posting if you are doing a boot time scan? They occur before windows even starts... thus you would be about a minute away from the internet at all times anyway.

DavidCo

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2011, 07:15:32 PM »
Perhaps 'cos he is posting from his
XP Pro SP3 32bit

YoKenny

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2011, 07:15:51 PM »
I'm posting from my XP Pro system.

The scan is still running on my Windows 7 system and it is only 6% done and proceding very slowly as it can't take advantage of the resident cache.

Jdonz94

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2011, 07:20:02 PM »
That makes more sense. Did you update directly from the program? Or do a clean install?

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software

YoKenny

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2011, 07:22:14 PM »
I am going to end the Boot time scan as at this rate it will take hours to scan both of my hard drives.

I have done a Quick scan and a Full scan previously without any viruses found.  8)

I did a clean install.

Jdonz94

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2011, 07:23:56 PM »
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=68647.msg577101#msg577101
Yeah I saw that, I think the problem may be that i got the download from Cnet and they have yet to update the program version, so I  believe that I needed the updated version installed clean. Instead of updating within the program.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2011, 07:26:01 PM »
If the program says 5.1.something, then you have the latest version.
I'm just trying to say that if you updated just now, you may have to wait till tomorrow, when a new virus definitions update is released, for the boot-time scan to start working.

But yes, a clear install should start working right away.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2011, 07:28:57 PM »
I'm just trying to say that if you updated just now, you may have to wait till tomorrow, when a new virus definitions update is released, for the boot-time scan to start working.
Can't you manual update? ::)
The best things in life are free.

Jdonz94

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2011, 07:31:32 PM »
If the program says 5.1.something, then you have the latest version.

But yes, a clear install should start working right away.

As it turns out, basically you can't manually update and expect the boot time scan to work. Instead, you have to uninstall the current version, and reinstall using the downloads provided here : http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=68564.0
This worked for me, the boot time scan is now operational. I don't know exactly why it wasn't manually updating correctly, but a clean install of the program through the provided link works. Thanks all.

MAG

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2011, 08:00:48 PM »
I am going to end the Boot time scan as at this rate it will take hours to scan both of my hard drives.

I have done a Quick scan and a Full scan previously without any viruses found.  8)

I did a clean install.
I thought the same - but it turned out the %progress vs time graph was non-linear - ie it gets a lot quicker as it goes on.