Author Topic: Panda Cloud works fine with Avast 5 IS  (Read 6552 times)

jjb2012

Panda Cloud works fine with Avast 5 IS
« on: October 31, 2010, 11:39:09 PM »
I saw many people say that Panda Cloud didn't work with Avast and asked for it to uninstall. I can't speak to earlier editions (I have Avast plus Panda Cloud 1.3) but I've put this combo. on three PCs (Vista and Windows 7, 32 bit and 64 bit) and they all run fine.

I had used Threatfire but saved a lot of memory by switching to Panda Cloud. Avast is my "bread and butter" but you need one extra layer for those few zero days that might get by (Avast gets 99%+ but there is always that 1%!).

I'm loving Avast IS -- used free for ten years but the new features (Sandbox, caching) make it worthwhile.

ronnycopeh

Re: Panda Cloud works fine with Avast 5 IS
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2010, 12:32:58 AM »
Is this another anti virus  from what I understand its not good to run two antivirus.

jjb2012

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2010, 01:00:06 AM »
In general that is true. I think the difference is that Panda removed the signature database that normally comes with an antivirus. So it checks web downloads (and .urls) from the web only. It does have a small on-demand scanner but I've had no problems. NOTE: Avast is my tried and true primary. Panda is just my extra

cadremis

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2010, 01:06:11 AM »
Panda Cloud works fine along with Avast 5.... I'm in a forum where they test this compatibility and many people got back saying that...

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2010, 01:45:54 AM »
As far as I can recall early versions of Panda Cloud detected avast and wanted youy to uninstall it, not the other way around.

So it would appear that Panda have changed that policy.

What I couldn't get over in the early version is the size of something meant to be in the cloud at over 70MB it exceeds the size of avast. Now it looks like they only download a small installation file 301KB and that I would guess installs the rest, so I have no idea just how big it is now
« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 01:49:28 AM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Vladimyr

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Super(massive black hole) Poster
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2010, 03:08:49 AM »
Panda have removed the alert for other installed AVs but I don't think that amounts to a recommendation.
Panda "Cloud" is as much a name as a description. It does have a local/resident scanner and definitions, runs a silent "background scan" (which can be disabled by a registry hack), and version 1.3 adds URL filtering.
"Ya makes ya choices, ya takes ya chances." :)
There is a way that seems right to a man,
       but in the end it leads to death
.” - Proverbs 16:25

jjb2012

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2010, 04:08:49 AM »
OK, since I _do_ rely on Avast (default, not paranoid settings) what is the extra layer I need for behavior blocking of zero day attacks? I thought Panda Cloud would offer that and was happy that my memory usage fell 200MB from when I used Threatfire (another free behavior blocker that sometimes thrashed my PC -- version 4.7 of TF).

That seems to only leave Immunet which is so new it hardly has any "cred."

Recommendations other than Panda Cloud?

(Is there a reason why Panda removed the alert? If it is a problem, why doesn't Avast alert us?)

Offline Vladimyr

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Super(massive black hole) Poster
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2010, 04:37:12 AM »
(Is there a reason why Panda removed the alert? If it is a problem, why doesn't Avast alert us?)
I can't find the reference but it was something like, "because users asked us to".
EDIT: Found it! http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=1765710&postcount=14
« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 04:46:46 AM by Vladimyr »
There is a way that seems right to a man,
       but in the end it leads to death
.” - Proverbs 16:25

SafeSurf

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2010, 07:59:33 AM »
OK, since I _do_ rely on Avast (default, not paranoid settings) what is the extra layer I need for behavior blocking of zero day attacks?

I use PrevX (resident cloud-based behavior and heuristics AV) without any conflicts with Avast.  Keep in mind that the upcoming release of Avast 5.1 should be offering an improved Behavioral scanner as well.  I tend to want layers of protection and therefore run several programs that after tested are compatible on my machines (see my Signature).

YoKenny

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2010, 07:51:16 PM »

MalwareBytes Anti-Malware MBAM would be my choice with WinPatrol.

WinPatrol Free vs PLUS:
http://www.winpatrol.com/compare.html
« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 07:53:52 PM by YoKenny »

valete3

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2011, 07:51:43 PM »
I figured I would add my two cents,

I used threatfire 4.7 with Avast 5 and found extreme performance degradation.  I gave up and removed threatfire from all of my machines.  Threatfire seems to be a dying product anyway since it has been a significant amount of time since a new version was released.   I currently run Avast 5 and MBAM Pro (my threatfire replacement).  As an experiment I added Panda Cloud 1.3.  Vista and Win 7 can handle Avast 5, MBAM Pro, and Panda with minimal impact on performance.  XP however suffers severe performance issues when Panda is added.  Disabling both the behavioral detection settings helps but the machines still suffer.  I'm hoping that Panda improves their product in time and resolves some of the compatibility issues (mainly in the resident protection) though I'm not overly hopeful since XP is outdated at this point.  As an aside, it seems that the performance issues on XP are related to a conflict between Panda and MBAM based on CPU usage observations.