Author Topic: Configuring Avast Internet Security + difficult to use  (Read 10336 times)

Offline ds123

Configuring Avast Internet Security + difficult to use
« on: November 01, 2010, 12:22:36 PM »
i bought avast because i heard it was good, but am finding it a nightmare to configure. I just want to know how to set it up for the internet (wireless connection). What do i do?

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
Re: difficult to use
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2010, 02:05:42 PM »
i bought avast because i heard it was good, but am finding it a nightmare to configure. I just want to know how to set it up for the internet (wireless connection). What do i do?

The default settings should work fine..!
Which problems do you have..??
asyn
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

osants911

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2010, 02:08:45 PM »
Hi, ds123

Firstly, We'd like to know about your system.

What is your OS?
Is it 32 bit or 64 bit?

What type of avast! software have you purchased? Pro or Internet Security?

Offline ds123

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2010, 04:59:46 PM »
Hi, ds123

Firstly, We'd like to know about your system.

What is your OS?
Is it 32 bit or 64 bit?

What type of avast! software have you purchased? Pro or Internet Security?

Hi, Windows Vista 32 bit.

Internet Security.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2010, 06:20:16 PM »
I just want to know how to set it up for the internet (wireless connection). What do i do?
I guess you mean the firewall ?
I use the hole program with almost all default settings on my Lenovo netbook. 
The firewall i have sett on < Work/Medium risk zone > for my home wireless ( i dont move any files from/to the netbook ) and when i have it with me and use 3G nett (cell phone nett ) i have sett the firewall to < Publicc/High risk zone > and the firewall is now switching automatic.......works for me..

Offline ds123

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2010, 06:25:13 PM »
I just want to know how to set it up for the internet (wireless connection). What do i do?
I guess you mean the firewall ?
I use the hole program with almost all default settings on my Lenovo netbook. 
The firewall i have sett on < Work/Medium risk zone > for my home wireless ( i dont move any files from/to the netbook ) and when i have it with me and use 3G nett (cell phone nett ) i have sett the firewall to < Publicc/High risk zone > and the firewall is now switching automatic.......works for me..

I'm on a home network.

Check your firewall configuration. For the correct operation the Web Shield process (ashWebSv.exe or aswWebSv.exe) needs a permission to access the Internet on TCP port 80 and a permission to act as a server and accept incoming connections from localhost (the local machine) on TCP port 12080.

I was adviced to copy ashwebsv.dll and this other advice says copy the .exe. file (web shield part)

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2010, 06:31:38 PM »
I was adviced to copy ashwebsv.dll and this other advice says copy the .exe. file (web shield part)
copy to where ?

are you running more then one firewall ?
« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 06:45:19 PM by Pondus »

MAG

Re: Configuring Avast Internet Security + difficult to use
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2010, 06:53:11 PM »
"For the correct operation the Web Shield process (ashWebSv.exe or aswWebSv.exe) needs a permission to access the Internet on TCP port 80 and a permission to act as a server and accept incoming connections from localhost (the local machine) on TCP port 12080."

With AIS the necessary Firewall Application Rules  for Avast to access the internet should be set automatically, provided that under Expert Settings you have selected Auto-decide.

What Application Rules are showing for Avast Software under Firewall?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2010, 07:01:49 PM »
@ ds123
As far as I'm aware there is no asw or ashWebSv.exe in avast 5 and that includes AIS, the file is avastSvc.exe and that controls all resident scanners. Who gave you that advice as it would be more akin to avast 4.8 not 5.0 ?

As mag said, the rules for the various avast functions should already be set in AIS as it wouldn't make sense to block its own processes.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline ds123

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2010, 07:29:22 PM »
@ ds123
As far as I'm aware there is no asw or ashWebSv.exe in avast 5 and that includes AIS, the file is avastSvc.exe and that controls all resident scanners. Who gave you that advice as it would be more akin to avast 4.8 not 5.0 ?

As mag said, the rules for the various avast functions should already be set in AIS as it wouldn't make sense to block its own processes.

This is the advice i was given though i was not sure about localhost.

My name is Michal and I will assist you today.

In fact, avast! doesn't block the Internet pages browsing if your computer is configured properly. If you have this kind of problem and turning avast! off helps, it means that one part of avast!, the Web Shield, doesn't have access to the Internet. The solution is easy - allow the Web Shield to connect to Internet in your firewall.

Ensure that the Web Shield process ashWebSv.dll is listed as an application that is permitted to connect to the web in your firewall configuration. It also needs a permission to act as a server and accept incoming connections from localhost (the local machine) on TCP port 12080.

Some firewall do require you have a rule for incoming connection from localhost. Please check that too.

If you don't know ho to configure your firewall, refer to its online help or contact the help desk.

The summary: it is NOT avast! that blocks the browsing, but your incorrectly adjusted firewall or another misconfiguration of your network settings.

If you need further assistance, don't hesitate to contact me again

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2010, 07:46:01 PM »
what antivirus and firewall did you have before you installed avast! ?
have you removed it ?

MAG

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2010, 07:48:03 PM »
It sounds as if you may have two firewalls installed and enabled?

You don't need any other firewall with AIS - it has its own, and by default it is set up to create all the rules it needs.

(Edit - sorry - I see Pondus is already following that idea up with you)
« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 08:10:51 PM by mag »

Offline ds123

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2010, 09:02:11 PM »
It sounds as if you may have two firewalls installed and enabled?

You don't need any other firewall with AIS - it has its own, and by default it is set up to create all the rules it needs.

(Edit - sorry - I see Pondus is already following that idea up with you)

just ran a spybot check and it found fraud.sysguard which i removed.

I only had problems with Avast though.

I disabled Windows firewall and defender, i also have Superantispyware but not running.
I opened all ports for all apps but wouldn't connect to web.

MAG

« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2010, 10:00:33 PM »
Windows firewall (inbound only active), defender and SAS all run fine with AIS on my systems.

What Application Rules are showing for Avast Software under AIS Firewall?

Does internet connection work if you stop Avast Webshield?

De Hollander

« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2010, 10:53:45 PM »
You already mentioned fraud.sysguard so I suggest that you backup your data and scan your PC with Superantispyware and Malwarebytes to get a second opinion of your PC.

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?board=4.0