Author Topic: false positive problem  (Read 2473 times)

sciencegal

false positive problem
« on: October 26, 2010, 03:31:08 PM »
I posted on the forum Sunday about Avast (version5 pro) deciding that my Adobe Illustrator was a virus.  The only way I could use it was to disable Avast (I disconnected from the internet while it was disabled).  When I did a scan Avast also decided that any exe Flash player 6 file I had created in Flash was a threat and removed all of them...big problem for me, but it also decided that some Adobe Acrobat reader file was a threat so now I can no longer view pdf's in my browser. Don't know how to fix that, I guess I'll spend most of today trying to figure it out.

While it was busy all day Sunday telling my that my legitimate software was threat, Avast allowed ThinkPoint fake antivirus worm to get through.  I spent most of Monday morning wiping that off my computer.  While doing that I had to run Maleware bites (evidently the only software that can remove or prevent infection by Thinkpoint, which is kind of interesting all by itself).  Anyway while Malewarebites was running I kept getting AVAST pop ups telling me once again that my own Flash exe (player 6) files were threats.  Avast has made really made a mess of things. 

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: false positive problem
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2010, 04:01:40 PM »
Avast allowed ThinkPoint fake antivirus worm to get through.
well they have recived one sample of this from me.....
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=65312.0

jonesy

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2010, 01:45:56 AM »
I too have been infected by the think point virus while running avast.  When will definitions be updated to address this?  In the mean time has anyone gotten rid of this.  I can not even get my computer to shut down so I can open in safe mode.

Offline Milos

• Avast team
  • Super Poster
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2010, 04:57:48 PM »
Hello,
did you send us samples to analyze?

Milos