Author Topic: Question about license on AIS  (Read 4010 times)

PacoX8

Question about license on AIS
« on: November 01, 2010, 08:23:35 PM »
Hi:

I'm new in town, just bought Internet security after almost two years of the free version, I think is an excellent AV.

To my noob questions: :)
My license is for three PCs right?
Can I use it in any PC in my household?
Those 3 licenses are for PCs running everyone at the moment or total number of activations?
What happen if I try to activate a 4th PC I have in my home? The server would launch an error or something?

Thanks for any answer, I just ask so I can know before I mess up :)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Question about license on AIS
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2010, 08:38:54 PM »
Whilst I don't work for avast, so I can't speak for them, but this is my understanding of the license terms/usage.

Yes, it is for three PCs

Yes, you can use it for any PC in your household (using any of the supported OSes).

It can be activated (e.g. uninstalled moved and installed) multiple times provided you don't exceed the total systems for your license. If you have a PC with multiple user accounts, install it from the administrator account so that it is available for other users on the PC.

I don't know the process of checking the volume licenses, but that should be built into the license file and there would be anti-piracy built in to prevent it being used on more systems than in your license file.

Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

PacoX8

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2010, 09:00:30 PM »
Whilst I don't work for avast, so I can't speak for them, but this is my understanding of the license terms/usage.

Yes, it is for three PCs

Yes, you can use it for any PC in your household (using any of the supported OSes).

It can be activated (e.g. uninstalled moved and installed) multiple times provided you don't exceed the total systems for your license. If you have a PC with multiple user accounts, install it from the administrator account so that it is available for other users on the PC.

I don't know the process of checking the volume licenses, but that should be built into the license file and there would be anti-piracy built in to prevent it being used on more systems than in your license file.

Thanks for the concise answer DavidR, much appreciated.

I asked not because I wanted to pirate the license on hundreds of PCs (if I would I wouldn't bought the license in the first place  ;D ) but because I have this PC that I use so little (every once in a wild) that I thought maybe I could activated with a 4th instance considering not all PCs would have been running at the same time. I can activate it with a free license too but I thought I could use my new acquired key :)

Any further answer is appreciated, but I get the idea I think.

Best Regards  :)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2010, 11:31:56 PM »
No problem, glad I could help.

I appreciate you have no intention that you won't be pirating copies, but it is that area which would be watching out for extra installations.

The problem would be that as each installation connects to check for updates, it would be possible I guess to tract the number of installations so even for a once in a while occurrence. It is effectively a license to be installed on only three systems, not only three that are actively in use.

I would say use the free version on the one that you don't use frequently, presumably you are on broadband and connecting through a router which would give inbound protection, if you felt that you needed more protection (outbound) you could get a free firewall.
- Many forum users are using these:
- PC Tools Firewall seems to have the least user headaches as it doesn't seem to be constantly asking the user questions about this and that.
- Online Armor for the most parts fine but it has caused some users grief after avast program updates and that is something you have to watch out for.
- Outpost Firewall 2009 free, a cut down version of the Outpost Firewall Pro version, which should still provide good protection, http://free.agnitum.com/. Download, http://www.filehippo.com/download_outpost_firewall/
Welcome to the forums.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

SafeSurf

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2010, 12:56:14 AM »
- Many forum users are using these:
- PC Tools Firewall seems to have the least user headaches as it doesn't seem to be constantly asking the user questions about this and that.
- Online Armor for the most parts fine but it has caused some users grief after avast program updates and that is something you have to watch out for.
-
- PC Tools has recently been discontinued then restarted, but has given users some headaches, as I have trouble-shooted several of them in the Avast forum.
- The new release of Online Armor 4.5.1.431 (free or Premium) has a new feature in it so that it does not conflict with AV's anymore and works very smoothly even with other security software http://www.online-armor.com/.  You can configure it for Beginner/Newbie, Advanced, or Banking Mode.
I have tested all the FW's (and others) mentioned in David's post with Avast, so feel free to ask questions if you have any.  Welcome to the forum.  :)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2010, 02:08:06 AM »
- PC Tools is back after its takeover as far as I'm aware.

SafeSurf

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2010, 02:20:01 AM »
- PC Tools has recently been discontinued then restarted, but has given users some headaches, as I have trouble-shooted several of them in the Avast forum.
Yes, it is.  This was the FW I tested that was hac_kable as I posted, and I helped users with problems.

PacoX8

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2010, 04:57:24 AM »
Thanks guys, I will stick with Avast Free + router + WXP Firewall, thanks for the welcome!  ;)