Author Topic: POSSIBLE Trojware in AVAST! .tmp File  (Read 9345 times)

wendy k. walker

Re: POSSIBLE Trojware in AVAST! .tmp File
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2010, 07:37:32 AM »
Hi All [Please note my signature] Thanks for all of your replies.

First to DavidR: Your answer to my question was sufficient to keep me from asking "How many APEX Jumps have you made?" just to see if you were selling wolf tickets about having been a Trooper.

1.  There are bound to be conflicts
2.  They could very well indicate that the other is a virus
3.  This will cause you immense grief in your life

Kind of like the Chinese Symbol for "Discord" it is a glyph of 2 women under one roof. :P

I will be getting rid of one of the AVs, sadly it will be the trial copy of AVAST!, at least for the time being, as I have a Lifetime subscription to COMODO PRO on this box that I will lose if I uninstall it.

Next to Nesivos: What I said to DavidR.

Next to YoKenny: Please note my current signature, and thanks for that link too. I would have put more but I ran out of room.

Next to craigb: Gotcha. 

Next to Tarq57:
I know from your lengthy reply above you are concerned about possible malware as reported by Comodo multiple times

That is true, and I currently have a help topic posted at Bleepingcomputers and am trying to get it cleared up.

Next to SafeSurf: Please note my signature, I added what I could, hope that's enough.

To clarify the above, you cannot turn one of the above off while leaving the other on in your machine since the one your turned off is still really in your machine (drivers are running, etc.

That is what I was afraid of so as I said above, I'll be getting rid of one of them that I have.

Check the upper right corner on the main forum page to make sure it is the correct date and time with a "+" mark next to it.

Thanks, I'll do that in a moment, and "Yes" ALL of you guys have answered all of my questions, "and very well I might add."

Thanks again to ALL of you guys for your time and help with this.

Wendy

wendy k. walker

« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2010, 07:54:06 AM »
RATS...! My first attempt at changing my signature didn't work too well, so here it is again. Hope this one did it better.

Wendy

SafeSurf

« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2010, 08:14:20 AM »
Wendy,

You did a fine job with your Signature and we are sad to see you leave, but you are welcome to come back any time. 

When you are ready to close this thread (no hurry as we like helping you and others), please go back to the first open post in this topic, click the modify button in that Post and change the title/subject, add [Resolved] to the beginning of the title. 

Feel free to come back any time you need help, to learn something new, or just to ask questions.  We are here 24/7 for your convenience.  Thank you. :)

Wendy Knight-Walker

« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2010, 06:21:34 AM »
Hi SafeSurf Thanks for such a nice reply.

Now PLEASE NOTE my account name on this reply. It had been so long since I had visited the AVAST! forums, and I think that had been on another machine, that I couldn't even find my account anymore so I had to open this one just to be able to find myself.

Now that I have found myself again I need to know how to close or delete this one so that my machine will let me go straight to my original account instead of trying to force me to log into this one every time I come back.

I need help with this Quote by Tarq57

Check the upper right corner on the main forum page to make sure it is the correct date and time with a "+" mark next to it.

I have looked all over several different pages and can't find that little Red X thing anywhere. Could one of you guys put up a screen shot of that page so I'll know what I'm supposed to be looking for?

Next, while I'm here I have to say that having 2 AVs running at the same time is now giving me a headache.

I have tried, unsuccessfully, to uninstall AVAST!. It seems that there was some sort of error that had occurred when I had installed it and I can't uninstall it through the add\remove programs thingy, nor can I reinstall it either.

So now I need to know if there is a way to remove it manually?

Any and all help will be appreciated. [feeling like a dumb blond here.]

Thanks again for your help.

Wendy K. Walker  

SafeSurf

« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2010, 08:35:33 AM »
Hi Wendy,

To close this thread, just add "[RESOLVED]" in front of the title of the first post you made of this thread.

As for the quote with the time in the upper right corner and "+" mark, I made the comment.  Look on the top of the forum page > does the correct date and time appear there with a "+" sign?  If so...don't worry about it.

To uninstall and do a clean install of Avast:

1. Save a copy of newest version of Avast (5.0.677) for the version you need and save it to your HDD:
Freehttp://files.avast.com/iavs5x/setup_av_free_eng.exe - (English only)
Pro –  http://www.avast.com/pro-antivirus#tab4
AIS –  http://files.avast.com/iavs5x/setup_ais.exe
2. Download the Avast Uninstall Utility, aswClear5.exe http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility and save it to your HDD (it has uninstall tools for both 4.0 and 5.0).
3. Disconnect from the Internet at this time.
4. Go to Control Panel and uninstall Avast through Add/Remove Programs if possible and reboot. 
5. If Step 4 fails, boot into Safe Mode (hit F8 repeatedly) and run the Avast Uninstall Tool.
6. Reboot.
7. Install the newest version of Avast and reboot.
8. Get Internet access and register your copy or add the license key for Free, Pro, or AIS.
    Free – http://www.avast.com/registration-free-antivirus.php
9. Update the Avast definitions.

If using the Comodo FW, uninstall this as well, then do a clean install but disable the AV portion so there is no conflict with 2 AV's.  Make sure you reboot in between each uninstall and install and do each one separately.  I recommend doing Avast first, then the FW second.

Let me know if this helps.  Thanks.

wendy k. walker

« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2010, 06:44:55 AM »
Hi SafeSurf, Thanks for the reply.

OK, I understand this part:

To close this thread, just add "[RESOLVED]" in front of the title of the first post you made of this thread.

But don't go getting excited and think I'm going away just yet, because I ain't done with you guys yet Boo.

This part is still giving me a bit of a headache though:

As for the quote with the time in the upper right corner and "+" mark, I made the comment.  Look on the top of the forum page > does the correct date and time appear there with a "+" sign?

Sorry about the confusion, on my part, as to who had made the comment.

The reason that I had asked if someone could put up a screen shot is so that I can see the same thing that you are looking at, because I have looked at several forum pages and I can't see the date, time, or a "+" sign anywhere, top or bottom, on any of them.

Thanks for the detailed instructions, and links, for doing the download\uninstall\reinstall thing, but this is going to be a bit of a problem for me:

4. Go to Control Panel and uninstall Avast through Add/Remove Programs

I can't uninstall it from there because of some kind of error that occurred during installation on the first go round. Every time that I tried I got the same error message and my only option was "Close".

I'm going to jump over into Safe Mode With Networking, download that uninstaller package, and give it a go. But if that doesn't work my only option will be to try to remove it manually..., and that is like so way above my level of expertise.

So cross your fingers, say a little prayer for me, and wish me luck with the uninstaller thing.

Thanks again for your time and help with all of this.

Oh, I still need to know how to delete that other account, "Wendy Knight-Walker", that I had opened to find myself on here.

Wendy

Offline SpeedyPC

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Avast shall conquer the whole world
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2010, 06:54:42 AM »
Wendy,

Just uninstall the Comodo AV only you can run Comodo Firewall together with Avast free AV, just make sure you don't have two AV running that where Comodo AV is getting confused look at my sig below as I have Comodo Firewall with avast together.

And your avatar tell me you look like you need a BIG KISS on the cheek ;D ...............sticking my head out while waiting ;) ;D
« Last Edit: November 11, 2010, 09:23:58 AM by SpeedyPC »
Gigabyte 670 LGA1200 Full ATX MB | Intel Core i9-13900 CPU/LGA 1700 | GeForce Nvidia RTX-4070/12GB | 32GB DDR4 | 2 x 1TB Samsung SSD | W11 Home 64bit | Avast Premium v24.3.6108 | Avast SecureLine VPN | Avast Secure Browser | Avast Driver Updater | Avast BreachGuard | Firefox 64bit | MalwareBytes Premium | Adguard Premium | CCleaner Portable | Macrium Reflect | 7-Zip

SafeSurf

« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2010, 09:01:44 AM »
Hi Wendy,

Don't worry...you can't get rid of me that easy.  I'm still here.  If you can't uninstall in normal mode, then Safe Mode is your other option as I outlined above (as your machine boots up hit the F8 key repeatedly).  You put in you post how to do it, so it looks like you can do it and I have confidence that you can (but I and others will be here just in case). :)

As SpeedyPC said in his post, just uninstall the AV portion of Comodo.

As for not seeing things correctly on the forum page, are you using anything in your browser like NoScript by any chance?  If so, right click to allow Avast and you will see things properly on the page.  If not, did you notice this with you old account as well as your new account as well?  I'm also using the former default Babylon format, so perhaps someone using the new (orange) forum page can comment on this for the OP.

Let us know how you do.  Thanks.

wendy k. walker

« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2010, 12:06:36 PM »
Hi SpeedyPC, Thanks for your reply, and the compliment too.

And your avatar tell me you look like you need a BIG KISS on the cheek Grin ...............sticking my head out while waiting Wink Grin

You go trying to kiss me on the cheek and I will smack you for messing up my makeup. ;D It has to be a kiss on the lips or nothing at all Boo. :D

Next: Hi to SafeSurf, Thanks for hanging around and putting up with me through all of this. I was able to follow your instructions, in Safe Mode, and get AVAST! uninstalled with that uninstaller you pointed me too, that sucker worked.

Now things are starting to improve just a little. While I was in Safe Mode I ran SuperAntiSpyware, and Malwarebyres' Anti-Spyware, and both of them found some garbage for me to get rid of, including that pesky Trojan that seemed to have found a way to hide out in that AVAST! .tmp file.

I still have COMODO running and will check its log later to see if it is still detecting it, then do a full system scan to see if it finds anything else.

As for not seeing things correctly on the forum page, are you using anything in your browser like NoScript by any chance?

I use to have a NoScript thing in FF, not sure if it is still there, but I'll check to see if it is. All of the pages that I see are the orange ones too, so maybe that makes a difference too.

I'll be back in a day or two to let you know how things are going.

Thanks again, to all of you, for your help with this.

Wendy 

Offline SpeedyPC

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Avast shall conquer the whole world
« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2010, 06:34:21 AM »
Hi SpeedyPC, Thanks for your reply, and the compliment too.

And your avatar tell me you look like you need a BIG KISS on the cheek Grin ...............sticking my head out while waiting Wink Grin

You go trying to kiss me on the cheek and I will smack you for messing up my makeup. ;D It has to be a kiss on the lips or nothing at all Boo. :D

Wendy you really don't want to smack a warm and loveable Speedy Aussie bloke from down under while your cheek is already blush red ;D

So how your PC going now ??? are you still running Avast AV without Comodo AV.
Gigabyte 670 LGA1200 Full ATX MB | Intel Core i9-13900 CPU/LGA 1700 | GeForce Nvidia RTX-4070/12GB | 32GB DDR4 | 2 x 1TB Samsung SSD | W11 Home 64bit | Avast Premium v24.3.6108 | Avast SecureLine VPN | Avast Secure Browser | Avast Driver Updater | Avast BreachGuard | Firefox 64bit | MalwareBytes Premium | Adguard Premium | CCleaner Portable | Macrium Reflect | 7-Zip