Author Topic: Any news of avast 5.1 release date?  (Read 17610 times)

iRonzel

Re: Any news of avast 5.1 release date?
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2010, 02:23:15 AM »
Improvements will come, is logic. My question is: will v5.1 have new protection modules, new technologies for detecting fake AVs or malwares, etc?.

twl845

« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2010, 03:21:26 AM »
HI I would just like to ask that I emailed Vik and he told me an email that avast 5.1 they would release it at the end of Nov.

thanks

Yeah, I read that in another post also. November as per VLK.  8)

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2010, 08:32:32 AM »
So we can expect beta test to begin sometime around mid November.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Offline Rednose

• Pirate Party Member
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Bits of Freedom : https://www.bof.nl
    • Nederlandstalig Avast! forum
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2010, 08:46:18 AM »
That would be my guess too :)

I know the Avast! boys don't consider this update as a major one ( Except maybe for their business clients ).

Greetz, Red.
Real Time: Avast Premium Security
On Demand: Malwarebytes
VPN: NordVPN ( NordLynx ) with Threat Protection ( Lite )

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2010, 04:13:13 PM »
Well, I hope they plan on beta testing for longer than 2 weeks before the release (beta in mid november, release at the end of november).

Remember, the only group of people that 5.1 is really going to affect is business customers such as myself, and we have a lot more to worry about going wrong than the standard home users do.

There were a lot of problems with the release of 5, but think about more important systems running with a problematic A/V... exchange servers going down, sql failures, sharepoint corruption, in-house custom applications, etc.

I just wish they'd give us something soon so that we can test to see what breaks before getting it on production systems.
For generic computer (not avast) problems, you can also visit my forum for help: http://www.jacobytech.net/forum

warlock

« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2010, 04:38:44 PM »
Any new on the GUI is it going to be changed?
Why in the world would they change the GUI as it's the new one where using now and one of the best that i have seen.
Well, making it use system native max/min/close buttons, getting rid of the round edges, making the left tab bar aligned and changing the dark gray to black, wouldn't hurt at all. And if it used native glass (including ability to change color) for all the currently gray parts on Vista/7, it would be absolutely perfect.

Sparxx

« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2010, 04:56:20 PM »
[Well, making it use system native max/min/close buttons, getting rid of the round edges, making the left tab bar aligned and changing the dark gray to black, wouldn't hurt at all. And if it used native glass (including ability to change color) for all the currently gray parts on Vista/7, it would be absolutely perfect.

Well, take a look here : http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=52806.0

As you see in the results, i don't think they'll change  something, and by the way the GUI is good, take a look at the competition's GUI's and you'll se that Avast's one is very good.

Offline RedFan

« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2010, 05:39:33 PM »
Hope they find a solution and anoying problem with self defense module/system restore proces on Win 7 x64 .....

I'm going to look at it tomorrow... do you have any related errors in Event Viewer?
How exactly do you use system restore? Do you create restore points manually? How long elapsed between create and restore operations? (approximately)

Thanks.
@ pk
Sometimes there are only a few days in between, no manually restorepoints done, no error event... as far as i know
The last two times i did sytem restore _ computer did not start (black screen) not even in safe mode  :-\
then i have to replace an image from my C drive, to start again.

Also take a look at this topic
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=65067.0
« Last Edit: November 04, 2010, 05:54:42 PM by RedFan »
Intel® i3 Quad-Core @4,3 GHZ. RAM: 16GB ddr4 || SSD 500 GB || Windows 11 Home x64 || Chromium user.

Dewg

« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2010, 11:36:36 PM »
I'm still concerned about 4.8 Pro being discontinued before 5.1 is out and stable.  5.1 is supposed to introduce silent installs and the network monitoring console.  I can't roll out 5.0 right now because I have too many users and can't go desk to desk to get 4.8 upgraded manually.

It needs to be a login script install - the script checks to see if the user is running 4.8 and if so, do a silent upgrade to 5.1 with all the settings pre-set.  If the user isn't running any Avast (new computer), then silently install 5.1 with all the settings pre-set.

SafeSurf

« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2010, 12:33:34 AM »
I'm still concerned about 4.8 Pro being discontinued before 5.1 is out and stable.
My understanding is that 5.1 will be released and well before the discontinuing of 4.8 support.  So there will be time.

Offline Rednose

• Pirate Party Member
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2010, 07:24:20 AM »
I'm still concerned about 4.8 Pro being discontinued before 5.1 is out and stable.

As far as I know there was never an official announcement from Avast! when the support for Avast! 4.8 will end.

Greetz, Red.

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2010, 07:50:12 AM »
They never announced tthe date but i know they want to get rid of it as soon as possible because the 4.8 is causing them not to use full potential of avast! 5.x because they have to keep it working on out of date tech. Plus, because of this they have to create 2 sets of detections, one for 4.8 and one for 5.0. And this is just an unnecessary work, larger delays and higher costs. And that's bad for us and them as well.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Offline Rednose

• Pirate Party Member
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2010, 08:03:56 AM »
Yes, ofcource :)

But all posts made by members about it ( Before the end of the year, or whatever ) were pure speculative. I think Avast! understands that their business clients need some time to test/roll out the new Avast! 5.1 :)

Greetz, Red.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2010, 08:29:38 AM by Rednose »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2010, 11:19:42 AM »
As far as I know there was never an official announcement from Avast! when the support for Avast! 4.8 will end.
Vlk has already posted about that. When v5 was released the deadline was set as the end of 2010.
Igor has already posted about the two lines of development also.
The best things in life are free.

clubhouse

« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2010, 03:09:34 PM »
I hope it doesn't have the 'cloud' technology built in, some of us use pay as you go dongle for connectivity and a constant connection to a 'cloud' would be a allowance waster.