Author Topic: Windows Security Center does not recognise Avast! 5  (Read 4074 times)

jabrocuk

Windows Security Center does not recognise Avast! 5
« on: November 02, 2010, 08:15:01 PM »
When Avast! 5 was first installed (Windows 7 64-bit), it was recognised by security center; however (7 weeks later) the system suddenly announced that there was no anti-virus software detected.  I have tried the repository files "fix" as suggested in this forum, but this had no effect (the repository was declared to be "consistent"). This was on a new laptop which had a trial version of McAfee pre-installed, which was removed using the proper removal tool prior to downloading and  installing Avast! 5.  As I said above, though, Avast! was recognised ok for the first 7 weeks.  Automatic updates to Windows and Avast! are working correctly. I have used Avast! for years now and and would prefer to keep it.

.NET framework 4.0 was the only new software installed anywhere near the time of the problem.

Avast! 5 itself appears to be working fine (as far as I can tell) - this seems to be a false report for some reason.  Could a recent windows update or Avast! update be responsible?  I see that Windows Update is now showing Microsoft's own "Security Essentials" package as a recommended update, is this coincidence?
« Last Edit: November 02, 2010, 08:26:24 PM by jabrocuk »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Windows Security Center does not recognise Avast! 5
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2010, 08:31:19 PM »
Check this post, http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=65659.msg555409#msg555409.

Are you sure that WSE isn't installed as I wouldn't have thought they would give it as an update otherwise. However, perhaps this is only offered if you haven't got an AV installed and guess where it would get this information from ;D
« Last Edit: November 02, 2010, 08:33:05 PM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

jabrocuk

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2010, 04:30:29 PM »
WSE is not installed (if it were, surely windows would recognise it - in any case, I did not install WSE and it is still being offered), however Avast! 5 is certainly installed and running.  I checked out the post you recommended, I had already carried out the procedure described; I also checked the path line, all was ok there.  The offer of SWE update was in the "optional" category.....not as a "critical" update.  I am not really worried about this as I am confident Avast! 5 is running ok, it was just a bit disturbing to see this crop up out of the blue.

sded

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2010, 04:46:57 PM »
With W7x64 I am still seeing Avast! 5 and Online Armor++ under both antivirus and antispyware, but Prevx seems to have disappeared recently.  And I don't know why either; just plan to ignore it.

jabrocuk

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2010, 04:57:46 PM »
Yes, I think it is safe to ignore it.......what I might try is another uninstall/re-install if I ever need to perform a system restore for any reason

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2010, 05:32:26 PM »
WSE is not installed (if it were, surely windows would recognise it - in any case, I did not install WSE and it is still being offered), however Avast! 5 is certainly installed and running.  I checked out the post you recommended, I had already carried out the procedure described; I also checked the path line, all was ok there. 

I'm at a loss as to what else to try to get the action center to recognise avast, unfortunately I don't use win7 so I can't offer any practical advice.

The offer of SWE update was in the "optional" category.....not as a "critical" update.  I am not really worried about this as I am confident Avast! 5 is running ok, it was just a bit disturbing to see this crop up out of the blue.

Yes, I think this is down to what I mentioned in my last post, if the Action Center isn't detecting an AV installed it is going to offer it. I guess they can't offer it on the regular windows update side or the anti-competitive activists would be up in arms ;D
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security