Author Topic: Firewall Rule Problem  (Read 14914 times)

elkhole

Firewall Rule Problem
« on: November 03, 2010, 06:13:54 AM »
Hi all , I'm new to avast and wish to continue with it for along time , I installed avast internet security trial 5.0.677 and let the firewall setting to autodecide mode for application but I have certain application I don't want it to connect to internet so I made a new group for it and add rules with block all connection for all instances of this application , suddenly after creating rules for them and run this application and to make sure it doesn't connect to internet I make alook at the "other" groub in firwall application rule and found avast firewall give it by autodecide internet access allow , I'm surprised so I went to my created group rules and found that this instance of application I add arule for blocking it disappear from my group and moved to "Other" groub with autodecide allowing rule .

I didn't understand how this could be done ? so I decided to test the rules again by adding the same application many more times and I expected the firewall notifies me that I added this application before but for my surprise it accepts all the rules for this application and I could also make the same name of group again and again,to made it clear look at the image attached for the application .

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: Firewall Rule Problem
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2010, 08:04:12 AM »
i have not fiddled with the firewall so much, i use it with default settings, but i think you can sett it to ask and then there should be a popup everytime something want`s out, and you can then make rules with yes/no

elkhole

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2010, 12:19:14 PM »
Thank you for reply but I went to avast from other security suites because I need asilent one not to ask many questions and finally I found agood one ,good people to support them not claim to provide 100% protection because it's impossible and I don't believe them and won't support them , here it's more trustful so I want to stick with avast and send them bugs and of course this is abug , I can make unlimited number of rules for same application allow or block the same connection and unlimited number of same group name , If I ran the application now which rule firewall choose to apply, and more than that it ignored my rule completely and made a new one in another place with allow rule and deleted my rule, this is very annoying.

I can switch to ask mode but I don't want to have any popup not for my low knowledge to reply on them I can and it's simple for me, but if all your applications are legitmate and only one or two applications addware supported and I need to use them but not allowing them to phone home or such things I will of course choose autodecide mode and for this application I'll make a rule for it.

I think it's clear now.

thank you again for rapidly reply and I'm waiting for more replies .

best wishes...

ImWarm

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2010, 12:29:25 PM »
Just go to the rule that the firewall made and change it. See this

elkhole

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2010, 01:50:21 PM »
I go to page you provide and I think the problem isn't clarified yet so I went to freinds and delete all ips in it then made again the rules as in attachment and waiting for replies again and thanks for help .

Offline Charyb-0

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2010, 02:10:06 PM »
I don't know if this is what you are looking for but at the bottom of the Application Rules page open File Details and it will show you details of each rule created. Click on each rule and the details will be shown at the bottom. One rule may be for the executable and another for the updater, etc. I would delete all rules and groups of the program you are trying to block then allow Avast to auto-decide new rules, then go back into these rules and select "Block all Connections". After doing this then reboot. Not certain if a reboot is required on these rules but recommend it.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2010, 02:54:46 PM by Charyb »

elkhole

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2010, 02:59:46 PM »
thanks you all for good help and patience but the I think the problem isn't clarifyed yet so I create 2 groups and their names "Other" as the name of "Other" group created by default in firewall rules ............. and this is the first bug .

the second bug I added the same application in the same path 3 times with different rules and made 3 attachment pictures for them each time I take a snap shot to rule details of the three rules as avast doen't support expanding more than one rule detail in same time.

So view the pictures and give me opinions.
very appreciated to your help.

elkhole

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2010, 03:10:04 PM »
And now I found another bug after I sent you the three attachments in the previous reply, I looked at summary screen of avast then rememberd I didn't remove the 3 rules I created to demonsrtate the bug to you yet so I returned to application rules again and found that all my rules are gone as I understood in beginning but I was wrong when I tried to delete the two groups I named them "Other" amessage box appeared to me :

"The directory is not empty"

I tried to expand it but there is no rules appeared and I can't delete both groups now , So any suggestions how I can rid of it or I'll be forced to uninstall/install it again? ???

Offline Charyb-0

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2010, 03:19:33 PM »
Let me clarify this. You have manually created two new groups and manually created new rules for the application in these groups. Is your question, "Why does it allow me to create different sets of rules for the same program"? Try rebooting your computer to see if that will allow you to delete the group that is stuck.

elkhole

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2010, 04:01:29 PM »
I rebooted my computer and found after reboot I found the two groups I named "Other" and the rules I created all dissappeared but found new rule for the same application firewall created it for me which is "internet out (otherwise auto-decide)and this rule placed in the two groups "Other" , so all my rules dissappeared ??? and firewall created a rule I don't want for application ??? .

So my questions is :

1 - Why does it allow me to create different sets of rules for the same program ?

2 - Why does it allow me to create more than group with same name ?

3 - Why did it stucked in deleted those groups ?

4 - Why did it create a new rule for the program that I didn't create even in the three rules I create in demonstration ?

5 - And Why did it create this rule in the two groups ?

and thanx for help.

elkhole

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2010, 11:10:42 PM »
Still Waiting for help ???

elkhole

« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2010, 12:39:30 PM »
UP

Offline Charyb-0

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2010, 06:03:07 PM »
I rebooted my computer and found after reboot I found the two groups I named "Other" and the rules I created all dissappeared but found new rule for the same application firewall created it for me which is "internet out (otherwise auto-decide)and this rule placed in the two groups "Other" , so all my rules dissappeared ??? and firewall created a rule I don't want for application ??? .

So my questions is :

1 - Why does it allow me to create different sets of rules for the same program ?

2 - Why does it allow me to create more than group with same name ?

3 - Why did it stucked in deleted those groups ?

4 - Why did it create a new rule for the program that I didn't create even in the three rules I create in demonstration ?

5 - And Why did it create this rule in the two groups ?

and thanx for help.

1. It is customizable and by using auto-decide and then manually creating similar rules you have added redundancy to the rules. You may have 3 rules, but only 1 may trigger first leaving the other 2 unnecessary/redundant.
2. It's customizable and you have added even more redundancy. Keep it clean and organized and it will remain easier to maintain. Do you want a firewall that prevents you from customizing it?
3. Because you did not reboot. Many changes to firewall rules require a reboot.
4. It is doing what you instructed it to do. You have selected auto-decide so it is creating the appropriate rules.
5. Which two groups? The groups that you created?

Have you tried this yet?

I don't know if this is what you are looking for but at the bottom of the Application Rules page open File Details and it will show you details of each rule created. Click on each rule and the details will be shown at the bottom. One rule may be for the executable and another for the updater, etc. I would delete all rules and groups of the program you are trying to block then allow Avast to auto-decide new rules, then go back into these rules and select "Block all Connections". After doing this then reboot. Not certain if a reboot is required on these rules but recommend it.

Please read this.
https://support.avast.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=482&nav=0,1

« Last Edit: November 04, 2010, 07:08:36 PM by Charyb »

elkhole

« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2010, 07:10:04 PM »
The link I read it and I don't look for this .

Customization doesn't mean allowing me to edit its main groups by mistake or you will endanger your self to low protection.

And more If I said it to auto decide and there is an application I want to prevent form internet

I made it for a toolbar installed by default in many free programs I try to install so I went to application rules to block it then after installing many other applications having same toolbar it recreate arule for same toolbar version and allow it to connect .

What I expect from afirewall ? am I forced to follow each application installation and block its toolbar one by one ? this is ridiculous . see attached picture after I installed many programs have the same toolbar and every application I prevent its toolbar from connecting and waiting for reply

Offline Charyb-0

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2010, 07:46:15 PM »
The link I read it and I don't look for this .

Customization doesn't mean allowing me to edit its main groups by mistake or you will endanger your self to low protection.

And more If I said it to auto decide and there is an application I want to prevent form internet

I made it for a toolbar installed by default in many free programs I try to install so I went to application rules to block it then after installing many other applications having same toolbar it recreate arule for same toolbar version and allow it to connect .

What I expect from afirewall ? am I forced to follow each application installation and block its toolbar one by one ? this is ridiculous . see attached picture after I installed many programs have the same toolbar and every application I prevent its toolbar from connecting and waiting for reply

It adds a new rule because each has a different path. Each is installed in a different area on your hard drive. When you install this software doesn't it ask whether or not you want to install the toolbar? I don't know a way around each rule being created other than preventing the toolbar from being installed in the first place. Maybe another forum member can help with this. I recommend that you submit a ticket to see if you can find a solution from technical support. http://support.avast.com/

Sorry, but I can be of no further help.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2010, 07:58:14 PM by Charyb »