Author Topic: Avast free - Startup/ webbrowsing slowdowns  (Read 19345 times)

Sode no Shirayuki

Re: Avast free - Startup/ webbrowsing slowdowns
« Reply #45 on: November 24, 2010, 10:57:50 PM »
I ran the Norton Uninstall Tool then restarted my computer. All of the files related to Norton Antivirus are still present in the 'C:\SWSetup\InetSec06\US\NAV\External\NORTON' folder.

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #46 on: November 24, 2010, 11:56:44 PM »
That is where the factory pre-installed software resides.  It is not active or installed

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #47 on: November 24, 2010, 11:59:56 PM »
I ran the Norton Uninstall Tool then restarted my computer. All of the files related to Norton Antivirus are still present in the 'C:\SWSetup\InetSec06\US\NAV\External\NORTON' folder.

Could be part of you initial setup, as this refers to 2006...
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline justinlee

• Poster
« Reply #48 on: November 25, 2010, 12:47:03 AM »
This is interesting as i have recently noticed the exact same thing. Very happy with Avast's protection but it definitely is causing a slower start-up. I have disabled the unnecessary start-up programs but Avast does take a long time to kick in. I checked Windows 7 Admin tools>Event viewer and it does report that Avast is causing a slow system start-up.
Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit) SP1,
Intel Core i5-2410M @2.30GHz, 6GB RAM
AvastFree Antivirus & ZoneAlarm Free.

Sode no Shirayuki

« Reply #49 on: November 25, 2010, 03:05:09 AM »
That is where the factory pre-installed software resides.  It is not active or installed

Okay, that's what I was wondering. I can leave them be then.

SafeSurf

« Reply #50 on: November 25, 2010, 09:13:02 AM »
@ Sode no Shirayuki,

That is the only removal tool I have for them.  However there is another way to do this and I have done it many times for others:

You can go into Safe Mode > Search > All files and folders > Advanced Options (make sure all boxes on the bottom are checked off except case sensitive) > type in the TOP box in the left pane "Symantec" or "Norton" or NAV (Norton Antivirus) > click "Search.  Anything that shows up in the right window pane should be related to Symantec/Norton, but if in doubt, right click it > Properties to see.  If it is part of Symantec/Norton, delete it and put in the Recycle bin, and empty the bin while in Safe Mode.  Reboot.

@ justinlee,  If you are asking a question, please start a new thread of your own as this will only confuse the current thread and we are in the middle of malware removal as well.  Go to this link, http://forum.avast.com/index.php, scroll down to the Avast Free/Pro/Suite forum and click it, click the New Topic button at the top of the list and post there.  Thank you.

Sode no Shirayuki

« Reply #51 on: November 26, 2010, 01:26:31 AM »
@ Sode no Shirayuki,

That is the only removal tool I have for them.  However there is another way to do this and I have done it many times for others:

You can go into Safe Mode > Search > All files and folders > Advanced Options (make sure all boxes on the bottom are checked off except case sensitive) > type in the TOP box in the left pane "Symantec" or "Norton" or NAV (Norton Antivirus) > click "Search.  Anything that shows up in the right window pane should be related to Symantec/Norton, but if in doubt, right click it > Properties to see.  If it is part of Symantec/Norton, delete it and put in the Recycle bin, and empty the bin while in Safe Mode.  Reboot.

Done. Nothing was found except for the uninstall tool I downloaded.

On a side note: Is it a bad idea to delete the uninstall files of Windows update patches and Windows update source files?
« Last Edit: November 26, 2010, 01:31:53 AM by Sode no Shirayuki »

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #52 on: November 26, 2010, 01:42:52 AM »
On a side note: Is it a bad idea to delete the uninstall files of Windows update patches and Windows update source files?

If you use CCleaner, there shouldn't be any problems.
For security reasons you should create a system restore point before removing these files.
asyn
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0