Author Topic: Can't Download Avast/Unknown Virus  (Read 16476 times)

SafeSurf

Re: Can't Download Avast/Unknown Virus
« Reply #30 on: November 13, 2010, 10:45:40 AM »
I believe you can do it this way:

Uninstall Spybot S&D w/Teatimer: http://www.safer-networking.org/en/howto/uninstall.html. In addition, you need to go into Advanced settings to disable the resident protection (2 areas to possibly disable – Teatimer and some IE blocking), then de-immunize if the immunity has been set.  That takes a minute or more sometimes.  The run the program’s own uninstaller, which should be in the Add/Remove Programs.

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
« Reply #31 on: November 13, 2010, 11:00:51 AM »
Here's a few screenshots.
The first shows how to undo the immunization. Press the undo button (circled red). This may take a few minutes.

The second shows how to get into the advanced settings. Do that if you haven't already. You have to "OK" your way into there.

The third shows where in the advanced settings to deal with the teatimer and other resident. (Tools>resident, where I've red-arrowed). Go there, and make sure that the two boxes (boxed in red) are unticked. (I think you may have been in another area - maybe "system startup" when you looked.)

Once all that is done, you can uninstall the program via the control panel, or follow Safesurf's link for directions.

I quite like the motivation of the Spybot author, and feel it is probably a useful application, still under development, but in all truth, I think the free version of MBAM used as a demand scanner probably beats it. Hands down. A view shared by others smarter than me also.
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

Aphex23

« Reply #32 on: November 18, 2010, 04:34:45 PM »
Alright, sorry for delayed reply. No changes whatsoever. This is sooooooooooooo frustrating, I just want to be able to update avast and be able to use my internet without going out and buying a bunch of crap to add on to my computer but apparently I can't. This thread is running quite awhile now, if you guys think you can't resolve this without me having to go out and spend money then I guess it can be closed because I just don't have the money.

Plus, I have so many folders under program files and about 90% of them I don't   recognize, some of themn over 300 MB large. Is there any way I can figure out whether or not deleting certain folders will screw up my computer further or clear more space? Somehow my hard disk space has gone back down to 4 GB instead of over 5 GB. I don't want to transfer my few favorite bands music from my computer because all I can use are CD's to put them on, so what happens when I want to make a mix while im playing a game or doing something else in my room? I have to switch CD's to hear dofferemt songs almost defeating the purpose of even having more space.  I'm on the verge of giving uo.