Author Topic: Constant pop up ad for new Avast  (Read 7851 times)

mac_angel

Constant pop up ad for new Avast
« on: November 04, 2010, 05:18:22 PM »
I already have 4.8 Professional with years left on it.  I'm constantly getting a pop up window advertising me to upgrade to 5.0.  Mine is working fine and that pop up is really really annoying.  Is there a way to turn it off?

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
Re: Constant pop up ad for new Avast
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2010, 05:25:06 PM »
Ever thought of um updating? The license is valid and i can't think of a single reason to stay with old 4.8 these days. Especially since version 5.0 offers superior performance, protection with brand new scan engine and new features along with much better interface. I've moved to it right on its release and never looked back.

Besides, avast! 4.8 will be soon discontinued, probably at the beginning of next year. So, you'll have to update it soon anyway. But why wait if you can have new tech today?
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

mac_angel

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2010, 05:27:36 PM »
the pop up doesn't say anything about being able to update to Professional, it says only the basic one is free.  Why should I pay again for Professional when there is still a couple of years on the version I have?

update:  I just downloaded and installed 5.0 Pro.  Said it couldn't activate the trial nor take the key I got for 4.8
Back to the original question, how do you turn off those pop ups?
« Last Edit: November 04, 2010, 05:41:02 PM by mac_angel »

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2010, 05:34:04 PM »
I don't think you understand...

You purchased a license for 4.8, but you can upgrade to 5 with your current paid license.

There's no need to purchase again for 5.  It's already "Grand-father'ed" in.
For generic computer (not avast) problems, you can also visit my forum for help: http://www.jacobytech.net/forum

Offline Rednose

• Pirate Party Member
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Bits of Freedom : https://www.bof.nl
    • Nederlandstalig Avast! forum
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2010, 05:43:03 PM »
there is still a couple of years on the version I have

How many years ?

Avast! licenses are only available up to 3 years.

Greetz, Red.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2010, 05:44:41 PM by Rednose »
Real Time: Avast Premium Security
On Demand: Malwarebytes
VPN: NordVPN ( NordLynx ) with Threat Protection ( Lite )

mac_angel

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2010, 05:44:50 PM »
found it.  It was down at the bottom where you have to request it with your old key.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2010, 06:10:54 PM »
I already have 4.8 Professional with years left on it.  I'm constantly getting a pop up window advertising me to upgrade to 5.0.  Mine is working fine and that pop up is really really annoying.  Is there a way to turn it off?

If you have a legit avast 4.8 Pro version, you shouldn't get this pop-up it is only being deployed to the avast 4.8 Home version and those with Pirated/cracked licenses, or you have been sold a forged license (fraud). Where did you purchase your avast 4.8 pro license ?

So there is most certainly something weird going on here, I will leave your interpretation of what it is up to you.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2010, 06:14:14 PM »

If you have a legit avast 4.8 Pro version, you shouldn't get this pop-up it is only being deployed to the avast 4.8 Home version and those with Pirated/cracked licenses, or you have been sold a forged license (fraud). Where did you purchase your avast 4.8 pro license ?

So there is most certainly something weird going on here, I will leave your interpretation of what it is up to you.

No, it looks like they sorted it out.

found it.  It was down at the bottom where you have to request it with your old key.
For generic computer (not avast) problems, you can also visit my forum for help: http://www.jacobytech.net/forum

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2010, 07:21:58 PM »
Yes, but they shouldn't be getting the avast Update Advert in the first place if they have a legit Pro license. This information came from one of the avast team in another such topic about this pop-up.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2010, 09:20:58 PM »
Gotcha, sorry.

DJ Coolshaker

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2011, 03:23:35 AM »