Author Topic: File types to scan?  (Read 3101 times)

landsker

File types to scan?
« on: November 05, 2010, 12:09:56 AM »
Any advice on which file types should be scanned by the Web Shield?
I am finding a small, but noticeable, delay in browsing with this element of AIS fully operational.
Thanks.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: File types to scan?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2010, 12:28:19 AM »
The default setting, all of them (and all packers) other than the pre-defined MIME exclusions, I go a step further and have set Heuristics sensitivity to High.

I don't see any impact on browsing, whilst I only have a low speed broadband connection.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2010, 01:05:04 AM »
The default settings as David said.
The best things in life are free.

landsker

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2010, 08:23:47 AM »
Thanks - I think the problem may have been due to "no script" add-on for Firefox.
I have temporarily disabled it and pages do seem to load faster.
I'll do some proper tests later.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2010, 02:44:08 PM »
As you can see from my signature I use NoScript and in theory it should make pages load faster as it isn't loading and running scripts.

Only when that script effects the actual page loading would it stop that loading, which is rather different slowing page loading, if it loads completely but slowly then there is something else in the mix.

I don't see this impact with NoScript and it doesn't take long for those sites that you visit regularly and have allowed only the essential scripts to run, it doesn't become so intrusive.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

YoKenny

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2010, 02:55:58 PM »
See DavidR's signature.

Plus:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAn7baRbhx4

I see that you now have more than 20 posts which will permit you to update your profile to include signature information.

Go to PROFILE then Modify Profile then Forum Profile Information then Please select your country: then Signature: and put information about your system just like my signature about your system just like my signature so that the helpers can offer pertinent advice.

In Account Related Settings select Hide email address from public to prevent scammers and spammers harvesting your gmail.com email address.

landsker

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2010, 03:21:38 PM »
Thank you for that tip, YoKenny!
Duly amended.
I'm really liking Avast I.S. - it's the first time I have actually paid for a security program for a long time!
A special plus for me is the capability to scan emails which use Gmail's pop & smtp servers - SSL as you will know - I use them in my mail client Thunderbird, as I'm not happy with my ISP's server performance and security. It's a cool feature!
 ;)