Author Topic: Is there a trial version?  (Read 8834 times)

superdaddy

Is there a trial version?
« on: November 07, 2010, 04:55:26 AM »
I downloaded Avast Internet Security hoping to try the product out.  The product cannot seem to get to the internet to activate the trial, so I called support.  Support told me there is no trial version of Internet Security.  He was arguing with me that there is no trail version, and wanted me to prove it to him.  I am very confused, and that's not good support.  The website says trial, the install says trial and the product says trial.  Is there a trial version or not?  I really wanted to see how it works.

What about the page I'm reading says no trial version?  Ok I'm a little mad, but lying to me on the phone is stupid.

http://www.avast.com/download-software

Over 130 million people have avast! protecting their computers, making avast! one of the world's leading - and most trusted - antivirus programs. This is much more than just the total number of downloads. Our users also like us, regularly placing avast! at the top of user ranking charts over other antivirus products.
   avast! Pro Antivirus    avast! Internet Security
avast! Free Antivirus    avast! Internet Security
Continuous protection against viruses and spyware    Yes    Yes
Ensures all mails sent and received are clean    Yes    Yes
Keeps you protected from "chat" infections    Yes    Yes
Stops attacks from hijacked websites    Yes    Yes
Lets you safely browse suspicious websites or applications    Yes    Yes
Blocks hacker attacks to protect your identity    Yes    Yes
Keeps your mailbox free from spam    Yes    Yes
Allows safe and uninterrupted gaming    Yes    Yes

Download
Learn more    
Download
Learn more

You can try avast! 5.0 programs for 30 days, free of charge. During this trial period, you have full access to all product functions and to technical support as well. The decision to buy a fully licensed product or uninstall the trial program is up to you.
For home and home office

* avast! Free Antivirus 5.0
    * avast! Pro Antivirus 5.0
    * avast! Internet Security 5.0

If you didn't find the product you were looking for, please check the downloads for version 4.8.

You can try most avast! 4.8 programs for 60 days, free of charge. During this trial period, you have full access to all product functions and to technical support as well. The decision to buy a fully licensed product or uninstall the trial program is up to you.
For home and home office

* avast! Professional Edition 4.8

For businesses

* avast! Standard Suite
    * avast! Advanced Suite
    * avast! Enterprise Suite
    * avast! SBS Suite
    * avast! Distributed Network Manager (ADNM)
    * avast! NetClient for ADNM

Other products and solutions

* avast! Server Edition
    * avast! Small Business Server Edition
    * avast! Windows Home Server Edition
    * avast! for Linux/Unix Servers
    * avast! Mac Edition
    * avast! Kerio Edition
    * avast! U3 Edition
    * avast! PDA Edition
    * avast! BART CD
    * avast! Linux Home Edition

Utilities

* avast! Uninstall utility

Converting your trial download into a licensed product

You can convert your trial download to a fully licensed product at any time during the trial period. Once the application is running, just click on the "Buy" button in the avast! user interface or follow the instructions on the reminder screen.
More downloads

* avast! 5.0 products
    * avast! 4.8 products
    * Virus database updates
    * Documentation

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Is there a trial version?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2010, 05:25:38 AM »
There isn't specifically a trial version download the regular version and you have 30 days unrestricted use (a trial period). So whilst using this product without having purchased and entered the license file you would be using the trial period, so it will display that it is under trial until you do that.

From the link you gave and the text you posted it is clear you have a 'trial period' but not specifically a trial version. Whilst the wording on the page is also confusing as it mentions both a trial period and a trial download

So there is likely to have been some misunderstanding involved here as opposed to someone specifically lying to you.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Vladimyr

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Super(massive black hole) Poster
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2010, 05:31:36 AM »
As DavidR says, the retail product downloads function as a 30-day trial if not activated with a license key. If your internet connection itself is blocked after installing avast!, that is another issue.
There is a way that seems right to a man,
       but in the end it leads to death
.” - Proverbs 16:25

superdaddy

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2010, 06:14:49 AM »
Nearly all AV/Security suites have trial periods.  Very few software products (of any kind) on the market today actually have a specific trial edition that has to be uninstalled and replaced with a fully functioning licensed edition.  I get that. 

The original issue was that I called to try to activate the trial period.  Support told me first that there was no such thing and that I had to buy a license.  Then I subsequently referred to it as a trial edition.  My bad, it's the same thing in my mind but I've been around the software industry for 25 years.  Parsing my words and arguing with me doesn't answer my question, solve my problem or sell me the product. 

I downloaded and installed a product.  It says that it cannot connect to the internet to activate the trial period.  That's the problem I started with, and what I described initially to support.  He wanted me to uninstall and install the free version.  When in doubt, just say "if you are referring to the trial period, then yes it is good for 30 days".  "Prove it" is not going to win me over.

At this point, I'm not sure what I'm going to do.  Probably not calling support.  I do have one outstanding question.  Does the product function fully during the trial period, including virus definition updates?  My installations would not activate or update.  That's all I wanted to know.

Thanks

ImWarm

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2010, 06:21:15 AM »
Phone support is provided by iYogi, not avast. What does it say when you click Activate Trial? You can try submitting a ticket at www.support.avast.com

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2010, 06:49:35 AM »
Yes the product should be fully functional during trial period, have you fully removed all previous av's and firewalls with there correct uninstaller's so there is no corruption between programs before installing avast?

superdaddy

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2010, 07:02:55 AM »
I submitted a ticket, but did not hear back.  The error is the generic I can't get to the internet, make sure your proxy settings are correct.  I set both it and IE to not use a proxy (from auto detect), nothing.  I did some searching, and there was an issue before with having to "install" the license file for the trial period, so I tried that too.  Nope.  Then I looked in the license file, and it says "500 Internal Server Error."  I figured that was because it couldn't connect to populate the file.  I even checked the outbound FW policies for Win 7 in the outside chance...  nada.

My wife suggested I uninstall our web filter K9 (bluecoat) which did not help either.  The issue is the same on two separate computers, one Win 7 32 bit, one Vista 32 bit.  This is the only AV software installed on this PC.  Norton 2010 was previously installed, but I removed successfully.  I did not run a forced cleaner/uninstaller, but did clean my registry afterward.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2010, 07:32:19 AM »
If you had norton installed on both i would suggest running the uninstaller which you will find here http://uninstallers.blogspot.com/  You also might find that a fresh install of avast would be preferable if you have had some norton bits left in your systems as this could corrupt the avast install, you also should not have to place any registation or keys into avast untill your trial period is used up.

Misaki2010

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2010, 04:53:21 PM »
superdaddy is right, I reinstalled my Windows today, because I had some problems with a customization pack and it kind of deleted some of my system files (i didn't had a restore point) so I reinstalled my OS, after that I tried to install Avast IS 5.0.677 and get a trial license till I can buy a license (I can only in 3 weeks). The antivirus installed itself but didn't acquire a Trial License... neither when it installed itself and neither after the installation was completed!

I used to like Avast :| and I quit using Kaspersky Internet Security 2010 (with license) just for this one, but now I think I made a mistake... if this won't be fixed anytime soon I'll get back on Kaspersky and I assure you, Avast won't get a nice review from this... I recommended this antivirus to all my friends and the persons I know... was that a mistake? we will see that.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2010, 06:27:01 PM »
superdaddy is right, I reinstalled my Windows today, because I had some problems with a customization pack and it kind of deleted some of my system files (i didn't had a restore point) so I reinstalled my OS, after that I tried to install Avast IS 5.0.677 and get a trial license till I can buy a license (I can only in 3 weeks). The antivirus installed itself but didn't acquire a Trial License... neither when it installed itself and neither after the installation was completed!

I used to like Avast :| and I quit using Kaspersky Internet Security 2010 (with license) just for this one, but now I think I made a mistake... if this won't be fixed anytime soon I'll get back on Kaspersky and I assure you, Avast won't get a nice review from this... I recommended this antivirus to all my friends and the persons I know... was that a mistake? we will see that.
Misaki2010, please start your own thread so as to recieve better help with your problems.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2010, 06:35:01 PM »
One more point, there is no trial license it is a trial av that will run until the trial period is used up, if you want to keep the program then you buy a key.

Misaki2010

« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2010, 06:56:13 PM »
craigb - the thing is that this is the first time that happens to me, or to any of my friends. I recommended about 2 days ago this antivirus to a friend and he had the same problem, now me... anyway I'll wait for Avast 5.1 and then see what it's like, the trial isn't important beucase I really want to buy a license for this antivirus, it consumes much less than Kaspersky and it seems much better. The thing I love the most at Avast is the sandbox, I couldn't "live" without it.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2010, 07:14:58 PM »
craigb - the thing is that this is the first time that happens to me, or to any of my friends. I recommended about 2 days ago this antivirus to a friend and he had the same problem, now me... anyway I'll wait for Avast 5.1 and then see what it's like, the trial isn't important beucase I really want to buy a license for this antivirus, it consumes much less than Kaspersky and it seems much better. The thing I love the most at Avast is the sandbox, I couldn't "live" without it.
Of course you are having a problem because you are trying to register avast internet security without having bought a key first, obviously it works because you say how much you like it so then purchase a key from avast that they will send to you and then place your key into avast to keep the AIS version.

Misaki2010

« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2010, 07:38:46 PM »
craigb - yes, well that's the think, I wanted to use the trial 'till November 25 or 26, because only than I can purchase my license (I'm short of money at the moment). I still have it installed but without a license in it, so it says that I can't update 'till I activate the trial license or buy a retail license. I tried to activate the trial one but it says that the proxy isn't configured correctly or I don't have a internet connection... I didn't had this problem before :( anyway, can't wait for 5.1 + retail license.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2010, 08:01:24 PM »
Look, I really have no idea what is going on, but you don't have to activate any trial period. That is a given no action required other than to install and the 30 day trial period starts, at least that has been the way it has been for the time I have been on the forums over six and a half years.

Whilst on your auto update check it may mote that you are using the trial period, but I simply haven't seen what it is you have described.

One problem though if at any point during that period you uninstall, it is considered you have terminated/ended the trial. If you subsequently install it, the period is lowered to 6 days as an anti piracy measure to prevent the reinstall every 30 days, etc.

If you can't update and that mentions a proxy problem:
Try this, from the avastUI, Settings, Updates, Proxy Settings and set it to Direct Connection (no proxy) see image.

Do you have to use a proxy to connect to the internet ?
If you do then you would have to set the proxy settings manually in here also.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security