Author Topic: Have I got infected?  (Read 16471 times)

Offline Omid Farhang

• Frontend Developer
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • I wish I could write longer personal text!!
    • Homepage
Re: Have I got infected?
« Reply #30 on: November 08, 2010, 08:34:49 PM »
Rodney78, Thanks! but this is not all, please save the log on desktop, come back here and click on reply, click on 'Additional Options' in here bottom-left, browse the file and write something and click post
Twitter: OmidFarhangEn - OS: Manjaro KDE

Rodney78

« Reply #31 on: November 08, 2010, 08:41:21 PM »
Here we go:

Offline Omid Farhang

• Frontend Developer
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
    • Homepage
« Reply #32 on: November 08, 2010, 10:07:26 PM »
Here we go:

Your  HijackThis log looks clean and without common unnecessary programs.

Is slow-down your only problem? If it is, well, if I was you I would check if PC Tools Firewall is causing the problem or not, because in my own test I had many performance issues with myself, just for testing propose, when you had free time, you may try to uninstall it and see how it affect your computer performance. [If it solved problem, you can try another free firewall, like Outpost Firewall]
« Last Edit: November 08, 2010, 11:21:59 PM by Omid Farhang »

Rodney78

« Reply #33 on: November 08, 2010, 10:37:33 PM »
Thanks Omid.

Yeah I'm only experiencing typing latency in all applicaitons.  It si really frustrating and am considering re-installing XP as its driving me nuts!

Offline Omid Farhang

• Frontend Developer
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
    • Homepage
« Reply #34 on: November 08, 2010, 11:28:47 PM »
Thanks Omid.

Yeah I'm only experiencing typing latency in all applicaitons.  It si really frustrating and am considering re-installing XP as its driving me nuts!

You are welcome.

Have you tried Firefox or Google Chrome too?
Did you reset Internet Explorer settings? (Control Panel -> Internet options -> Advanced (tab) -> Reset)
Also you can try to disable those addon you don't need. (Control Panel -> Internet options -> Programs (tab) -> Manage Add-ons)

Microsoft has Fixit tool for that:
*Improve performance, safety and security in Internet Explorer
Automatically diagnose issues that may reduce safety in Internet Explorer or cause Internet Explorer to respond slowly or crash.

*Fix Internet Explorer add-on problems when IE hangs or freezes
Automatically troubleshoot Internet Explorer problems when the browser crashes, freezes, hangs or stops responding caused by IE browser add-ons.

And here is more fixit tool for windows and other Microsoft programs: http://support.microsoft.com/fixit
« Last Edit: November 08, 2010, 11:31:12 PM by Omid Farhang »

DigiDis

« Reply #35 on: November 09, 2010, 09:10:24 AM »
Hey Rodney, sorry for your frustration. If you end up reinstalling XP I encourage you to adopt a system image backup routine. There are very good freeware programs like Paragon Backup and Recovery and Macrium Reflect. Paragon's free version allows differential backups to save a little space. On any new machine I usually install the OS and configure it to my liking and immediately do an image. Then I install the security software, attach the computer to the net and do updates to the OS and security software. Then do a differential backup. Then install all programs and get it running how you want and do a third image. From that point on do full or incremental images whenever you change stuff. Do a full backup every month. You can keep these images on external drives to free up space on your main drives.

Its much easier to rollback to a previous image than go through what you are going through now.

Last thought: Omid has a good point about PC Tools FW. I would suggest uninstalling that and Avast free and then putting the Avast Internet Security suite on as a trial to see if your computer behaves normally before you reinstall the OS. It's a great suite and has pretty much zero impact on computer performance.

Rodney78

« Reply #36 on: November 10, 2010, 08:36:21 PM »
Thanks for everyone's efforts, alas it looks like I'm going to have to do an XP re-install as I've tried all the fixes/getting rid of PC tools firewall etc and the latency is still there.

One thing I will do, is go down the image route.  What would be the best freeware imaging software?  My only experience with this is with Norton Ghost and Acronis back up software, both of them I found very user unfriendly.

Offline Omid Farhang

• Frontend Developer
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
    • Homepage
« Reply #37 on: November 10, 2010, 09:32:49 PM »
Thanks for everyone's efforts, alas it looks like I'm going to have to do an XP re-install as I've tried all the fixes/getting rid of PC tools firewall etc and the latency is still there.

One thing I will do, is go down the image route.  What would be the best freeware imaging software?  My only experience with this is with Norton Ghost and Acronis back up software, both of them I found very user unfriendly.
Windows 7 comes with built-in back tools which has ability with taking Image from Windows Installation Partition to an external hard drive or network drive (also DVD too, but you know how many DVD it would be...).

It takes backup very smooth in background. without need to reboot computer, also let you create a recovery disc (to let you boot your computer and restore image when windows don't boot anymore.

I've no opinion about XP...

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
« Reply #38 on: November 10, 2010, 09:44:16 PM »
Sounds like you could possibly have a hard drive failing.

If you do a re-install and it's still slow, I'd be running some tests on it.
For generic computer (not avast) problems, you can also visit my forum for help: http://www.jacobytech.net/forum

DigiDis

« Reply #39 on: November 11, 2010, 01:10:40 PM »
As for imaging software for XP, free and good are Paragon Backup and Restore and Macrium Reflect. Both offer a free version. Macrium free only does full backups so uses more disk space. Paragon does differential backups but not incremental backups. Both have good reputations at the moment. You can use both if you have the disk space and time!

Norton and Acronis I don't think offer a free version and the paid versions get a lot, and I mean a lot, of criticism from users. Overall I think Macrium's paid version sounds like a winner but I do just fine with Paragon's free version.

Rodney78

« Reply #40 on: December 19, 2010, 01:39:09 PM »
Quick update.

I re-installed XP and all was working well till today when the typing lag came back out of no where!

By chance, I did a quick Google search and found a post by someone having the same problems as myself.  The answer was to disable PCMservice.exe which as I understand is a component of Dell's Media Direct.  Low and behold, typing latency has gone!!

If only I had found this post before went through the trauma of re-installing!

One thing it has taught me though, is the Avast internet security suite is the business.

Whilst trying to re-install XP, some of the programs that I was installing including Window's updates kept hanging, and I'd find myself doing hard re-sets.

After I un-installed PC Tools firewall and coughed up for the Avast suite, my laptop runs like a dream (touch wood).

So thankyou to everyone who tried to help me with this problem, but like most things in life, you have to learn the hard way!