Author Topic: Error popup: One or more ActiveX controls could not be displayed.....  (Read 15997 times)

azgirl

"One or more ActiveX controls could not be displayed because either:__1) Your current security settings prohibit running ActiveX controls on this page, or__2)You have blocked a publisher of one of the controls."

I keep getting this popup repeatedly, not all the time but enough to drive me crazy.  Have done research and others find it when using Outlook or Word or Office.  I use NONE of those.  With me, it happens randomly on whatever page I am visiting.  If I refresh it may or may not happen again.

Have looked at View Source on a couple and one thing they had in common was shockwave.  Tried disabling that extension -- it still happens.

Note that the ActiveX was NOT allowed, and this is a "notice" that it was disallowed.  I want to STOP BEING NAGGED that this happened. 

I have turned off all "prompt" messages, tweaked various security settings, to no avail.  Spent hours on this project so far.  Over several days.

On some forums I have found reference to something to do with Avast, and that's why I'm coming here.  Is  there some setting that I'm missing?  Or else some Avast setting that lets it go ahead and block ActiveX without bragging about it?

Stats:
XP Home SP3
IE8  BTW, this never happened until "upgraded" to 8 from 6
Avast

SafeSurf

Re: Error popup: One or more ActiveX controls could not be displayed.....
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2010, 11:08:24 AM »
Hello azgirl and welcome to the forum.  :)

Can you tell me what your firewall (FW) is and if anything is being blocked by Avast?

Have you made any custom changes to IE settings from the default settings?  Do you have any add-on's in IE?

You say that you never had this problem with IE until you upgraded from v.6 to v.8...correct?

Have you done MS Updates as well?

What version and product of Avast are you using?

YoKenny

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2010, 02:54:57 PM »
I see that you now have 20 posts which will permit you to update your profile to include signature information.

Go to PROFILE then Modify Profile then Forum Profile Information then Signature: and put information about your system just like my signature about your system just like my signature so that the helpers can offer pertinent advice.

azgirl

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2010, 10:27:17 PM »
Have modified signature as requested.

After lots of tweaking of Internet Options, have reset all zones to Default.

All add-ons have been disabled.  Don't know about "accelerators" -- have deleted some.  All this bloated stuff -- why are they added without my request?

The thing I'd like "accelerated" is the LOADING time of IE8 which is ridiculously slowwwwww.

Yes, I went straight from IE6 to IE8.  Bypassed 7 because it was scarily unusable and did weird things to my machine.  It was terrible.  Tried and deleted it twice.

Got the same error message on some of the forums I visited while trying to solve this problem!  :D

Have looked at a number of the coding on the pages having the error.  At first, thought it had to do with macromedia, but then I started seeing pages that had no macromedia, only javascript.  No other type of script.  Hope that info helps.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2010, 10:36:11 PM by azgirl »

SafeSurf

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2010, 07:54:17 AM »
So you are seeing changes in IE that you did not make?  And it seems to be running very slow?  Have you tried to see if this is true with another browser as well?

1. Have you scanned your machine with Avast (make sure your definitions are updated first)?  If an infection comes up, but it in the Virus Chest and report back.  Please do both a Full and Boot-time scan.

2. Also, check your computer for malware with Malwarebytes’ Anti-Malware (MBAM).
·   Download free http://www.malwarebytes.org/ (the blue button) for an on-demand scanner.
·   Double Click mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
·   After install, click update so you have latest database before scanning.
·   Under Settings:
o   General: Automatically Save File After Scan Completes is checked off
o   Scanner SettingsCheck all boxes
o   Updater: Download and install update if available is checked off
·   Once the program has loaded, select "Perform FULL Scan", then click Scan.
·   The scan may take some time to finish, so please be patient.
·   When the disinfection scan is complete, a log will appear in Notepad and you may be prompted to Restart. (See Extra Note).
·   Click the “remove selected” button to quarantine anything found.  You will find the infection details under the Quarantine tab.
·   The log is automatically saved by MBAM and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
·   Copy & Paste the entire report in your next reply.

I just want to make sure that malware is not causing your problem.  Thank you.

YoKenny

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2010, 01:25:17 PM »
The thing I'd like "accelerated" is the LOADING time of IE8 which is ridiculously slowwwwww.

On my old XP Home system that has only 512MB RAM IE starts slow but is fast opening new tabs just like my XP Pro system.

I agree with SafeSurf with the use of Malwarebytes’ Anti-Malware (MBAM).

azgirl

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2010, 01:28:51 AM »
Ran Malwarebytes.  Really weird:  Only one thing came up, but there is no System Volume Information listed on the C drive, unless it is in the registry or elsewhere.  I have not closed Malwarebytes so I can delete it if I should.  Ran both RP1803\A0507644.exe and A0507644.exe through Google; nothing found.

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.46
www.malwarebytes.org

Database version: 5083

Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3
Internet Explorer 8.0.6001.18702

11/9/2010 5:21:49 PM
mbam-log-2010-11-09 (17-21-49).txt

Scan type: Full scan (C:\|)
Objects scanned: 453229
Time elapsed: 7 hour(s), 14 minute(s), 33 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 1

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:
C:\System Volume Information\_restore{42B4214E-E04C-44C6-8697-9F6E21389402}\RP1803\A0507644.exe (Spyware.Passwords) -> No action taken.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2010, 01:50:03 AM by azgirl »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2010, 02:40:25 AM »
The System Volume Information folders on C: and other partitions (if you have them) are hidden folders, so you have to enable that option or rather to disable the Hide System Files and Folders in windows explorer.

Tools, Folder Options, Hidden files and folders, you might also want to uncheck Hide extensions for known file types, etc. see image.

Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

CharleyO

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2010, 05:35:42 PM »

C:\System Volume Information\_restore{42B4214E-E04C-44C6-8697-9F6E21389402}\RP1803\A0507644.exe (Spyware.Passwords ... is an infected restore point that you do not want to use.

You do not really need to find it. Let MBAM take care of it.

SafeSurf

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2010, 10:57:56 AM »
Files Infected:
C:\System Volume Information\_restore{42B4214E-E04C-44C6-8697-9F6E21389402}\RP1803\A0507644.exe (Spyware.Passwords) -> No action taken.
Update and run MBAM again.  This time if/when an infection comes up, instead of "No action taken" you want to put it into quarantine.

Should you need to run MBAM again, which is a good on-demand back up scanner, you always need to update it first....but always put the infected items into quarantine.

Let me know if you have any additional questions and if this worked for you.  Thank you.

azgirl

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2010, 03:17:48 PM »
Ran MBAM again:

Files Infected:
C:\System Volume Information\_restore{42B4214E-E04C-44C6-8697-9F6E21389402}\RP1803\A0507644.exe (Spyware.Passwords) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Thanks for your help.  It didn't look like the usual type of infection so I wasn't sure if it was a false positive.  Another AV did that all the time, find something that was a legit part of a program and then delete it without my input of yeah or nay.  That's why I use Avast!

SafeSurf

[RESOLVED] Re: Error popup: One or more ActiveX controls could not be displayed
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2010, 10:41:59 AM »
Since it was an infected system restore file, you would not have been able to use it anyway, so best to quarantine it and be safe.  Now you can continue using Avast as normal, and you can use MBAM as an on-demand scanner when needed.

If everything is working properly now and you feel that your issue is now resolved/fixed, please go back to the first open post in this topic, click the modify button in that Post and change the title/subject, add [Resolved] to the beginning of the title so this thread can be closed. 

Feel free to come back any time you need help, to learn something new, or just to ask questions.  We are here 24/7 for your convenience.  Thank you for allowing us to assist you. :)