Author Topic: Exclusions for Network Drives  (Read 3247 times)

Berky

Exclusions for Network Drives
« on: November 07, 2010, 11:51:08 AM »
I've recently installed a NAS and need to exclude directories on it. In advanced, I see the Network icon but it won't expand. How can I enable this feature.

Berky

Re: Exclusions for Network Drives
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2010, 04:44:55 AM »
This seems to be an issue with Windows 7 because I'm able to make network exclusions in Windows XP. So many views and no response... How disappointing. I've uninstalled Avast (which I paid for) and have reinstalled AVG 2010.

SafeSurf

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2010, 09:46:18 AM »
Hello Berky and welcome to the forum.

See if the information you need is here: http://support.avast.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=482&ratingconfirm=1 or here https://support.avast.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=view&parentcategoryid=2&pcid=0&nav=0.

If not, please let us know and we will help you further.  Thank you.

Berky

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2010, 01:53:43 PM »
Thanks for the reply but I'm referring to the ability to make exceptions in the File System Shield within my local network in Avast Pro Antivirus. Every item with a + next to it can be expanded to point to a specific file or folder. The network doesn't expand in Windows 7 and I need that capability.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2010, 03:48:12 PM »
Can you not manually enter the path to be excluded (copy and paste using explorer) rather than use the FSS UI exclusion interface. I can't recall if this is the correct term but avast will recognise the UNC format path to the network locations.

If you want to exclude a folder and all its content/sub-folders there must be <path>\* at the end. If you want to exclude a particular file type <path>\*.v2i (example of my drive image backup files), etc. Care has to be taken when using wildcards ? (single character) and * (multi character) or you could leave big holes in security.

Sorry I can't be more helpful as I don't use a network.

Edit correction of incorrect term.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2010, 07:22:07 PM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2010, 06:42:41 PM »
Enter the network file masks in UNC format.

Berky

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2010, 10:26:19 PM »
Enter the network file masks in UNC format.

That does work but why bother putting a network icon if it isn't functional? The network icon expands in Windows XP but not it Windows 7. It would be nice if the programming department would look into why it doesn't work properly in Windows 7. Thanks for the great support.