Author Topic: [Resolved] Free to Internet Security = Problems  (Read 3434 times)

gleits

[Resolved] Free to Internet Security = Problems
« on: November 07, 2010, 11:12:03 PM »
I'd been using the Free version of avast! for over a year now with nary a problem and decided to upgrade yesterday in the Internet Security version. I've only installed it thus far on a desktop and I'm getting program crashes right and left. Notably a livejournal posting client, Semagic, and mail client, Eudora, hang upon starting and then give error messages. Restarting the programs they seem fine.  It does not matter if I wait 15 minutes after starting up the computer (I've restarted the computer a couple of times today), I still get errors, more specifically it seems on programs that need to connect to the internet.

Are there settings that may be too restrictive?

I'm debating going back to the free version and getting a refund at this rate.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2010, 11:00:01 AM by gleits »

SafeSurf

Re: Free to Internet Security = Problems
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2010, 10:09:46 AM »
Hello gleits and welcome to the forum. :)

Often times when someone is having difficulty with a security software, it is due to other things.  First I need to know the following:

1.   What is your OS, 32 or 64-bit?
2.   What version of Avast did you install?  5.0.677 is the current version.
3.   What other security software do you currently have or did you have in the past on this machine including antivirus (AV), firewall (FW), and other security programs?  If they were in the past, how did you remove them (the vendor's uninstaller's tool or another way)?  You mentioned that you had Avast Free and upgraded to AIS.  Anything else?  If you did have other security software, see this uninstaller's guide for removal: http://uninstallers.blogspot.com/.

Here is a knowledge-based article that may also help you with AIS as well: http://support.avast.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=482&ratingconfirm=1.

Did you reboot after doing your upgrade?

You can try doing an Avast Repair:
- Go to Control Panel > Add/Remove programs > Avast Antivirus.
- Scroll down and choose Repair function in the pop-up window.
- Reboot.

If the Repair fails to fix your problem and you had no other security software on your machine in the past to uninstall, then I suggest doing an uninstall of Avast Free and AIS since both are on your machine, then doing a clean install of AIS:
1. Save a copy of newest version of Avast (5.0.677) for the version you need and save it to your HDD:
AIS –  http://files.avast.com/iavs5x/setup_ais.exe
2. Download the Avast Uninstall Utility, aswClear5.exe http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility and save it to your HDD (it has uninstall tools for all products of Avast).
3. Disconnect from the Internet at this time.
4. Go to Control Panel and uninstall Avast through Add/Remove Programs if possible and reboot.
5. If Step 4 fails, boot into Safe Mode (hit F8 repeatedly) and run the Avast Uninstall Tool.  You will need to uninstall Avast Free for the version you used and AIS at this time.
6. Reboot.
7. Install the newest version of Avast and reboot.
8. Get Internet access and register your copy or add the license key for AIS.
9. Update the Avast definitions.

Let me know if your problem is fixed.  Thank you.

gleits

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2010, 10:55:03 PM »
Hi,

I'm using XP SP2, 32-bit.   Avast is version 5.0.677.

I was using Zone Alarm's firewall in the past until I had issues with it, and went to the Windows firewall. ZA is uninstalled via the program's uninstall and the Windows firewall is turned off.

I've rebooted several times and the problem continues to exist.

Thanks for the suggestions... will report back.

edit. The Repair option seems to have done the job! Thanks for the help.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2010, 12:23:20 AM by gleits »

SafeSurf

[RESOLVED] Re: Free to Internet Security = Problems
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2010, 07:29:08 AM »
The Repair option seems to have done the job! Thanks for the help.
Great!  I wish all problems were this easy to fix.  :D

Now that your issue is resolved/fixed, please go back to the first open post in this topic, click the modify button in that Post and change the title/subject, add [Resolved] to the beginning of the title so this thread can be closed. 

Feel free to come back any time you need help, to learn something new, or just to ask questions.  We are here 24/7 for your convenience.  Thank you for allowing me to assist you.

YoKenny

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2010, 02:17:44 PM »
I'm using XP SP2, 32-bit.  
Please read:
Support for Windows XP Service Pack 2 ends on July 13, 2010
http://support.microsoft.com/gp/lifean31

XP SP3 provides many Critical Updates and performance enhancements.