Author Topic: Can't connect to the Internet.  (Read 5569 times)

cdplayer

Can't connect to the Internet.
« on: November 09, 2010, 02:53:37 AM »
I am using the latest version of AVAST on my computers. I do have one computer running Win2k SP4 that appears to have a problem connecting to the Internet. I remember having this problem before. There was something I modified in the Registry and my connection to the Internet was established. Since installing the latest version everything runs fine except connecting to the Internet.

SafeSurf

Re: Can't connect to the Internet.
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2010, 07:03:27 AM »
Hello cdplayer,

How do you normally connect to the Internet?  Broadband, DSL, dial-up, etc?

I noticed from your prior posts that you have "played" a lot with the default settings of Avast. 

Please check the following to check the settings:
Open Avast GUI > Settings > Updates >

A. Engine and Virus Definitions: should be set at Automatic (default).

B. Update Parameters: all boxes unchecked (default)
   - If you use DSL, you may want to set #2 above to "My computer is permanently connected to the Internet."
   - If you use dial-up, you will want to use #2 above to "I only connect to the Internet using dial-up modem."

C. Proxy Settings: Auto Detect using IE Settings (default)
   - Some people have found that using "Direct connection / No Proxy" have worked for them.
   - Use "Specify Proxy Server" if you use a proxy and complete the information below it for the proxy server > click "OK."

Next, what is your firewall (FW) currently and in the past?  If you had a different FW in the past, did you use the vendor's uninstaller tool to remove it or another way?  Remnants can cause conflicts with security software.  Also check to see if your FW is blocking anything for Avast...usually this is the culprit for not being able to connect.  Thank you.

If all the above fails, try a Repair of Avast:
- Go to Control Panel > Add/Remove programs > Avast Antivirus.
- Scroll down and choose Repair function in the pop-up window.
- Reboot.

In your next post, also please include the following information:
1.   What product of Avast did you install?  Free, Pro, AIS?
2.   What other security software do you currently have or did you have in the past on this machine including antivirus (AV), trial versions, and other security programs? 

Let me know what helps.  If you still experience a problem, we will continue to trouble shoot.  Thank you.

cdplayer

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2010, 01:19:36 PM »
I know for sure that the problem lies within AVAST. When I uninstall the software I am able to connect to the Internet. Reinstalling the software cuts my connection to the Internet off. I did find a trick that I used long ago which does not work now:
“Please set the "Start" value in the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\aswTdi key to 4 and restart your computer. This will disable Avast! TDI Shield.”

How do you normally connect to the Internet?  Broadband, DSL, dial-up, etc?
   I connect to the Internet via Broadband.

Open Avast GUI > Settings > Updates >

A. Engine and Virus Definitions: should be set at Automatic (default).
The Engine and Virus definitions are set to Automatic
Update Parameters: all boxes unchecked (default)
   - If you use DSL, you may want to set #2 above to "My computer is permanently connected to the Internet."
   - If you use dial-up, you will want to use #2 above to "I only connect to the Internet using dial-up modem."
Since I use Broadband I sent the update parameters to “My computer is permanently connected to the Internet.”

C. Proxy Settings: Auto Detect using IE Settings (default)
   - Some people have found that using "Direct connection / No Proxy" have worked for them.
   - Use "Specify Proxy Server" if you use a proxy and complete the information below it for the proxy server > click "OK."
The proxy setting is set to “Direct connection/No proxy”

Next, what is your firewall (FW) currently and in the past?  If you had a different FW in the past, did you use the vendor's uninstaller tool to remove it or another way?  Remnants can cause conflicts with security software.  Also check to see if your FW is blocking anything for Avast...usually this is the culprit for not being able to connect.
On this computer it has always been Outpost. I am currently using version 6.0.2284.253.0485. Yes I know I have to update Outpost.
If all the above fails, try a Repair of Avast:
- Go to Control Panel > Add/Remove programs > Avast Antivirus.
- Scroll down and choose Repair function in the pop-up window.
- Reboot.
Completed repair of AVAST – no change
In your next post, also please include the following information:
1.   What product of Avast did you install?  Free, Pro, AIS?
2.   What other security software do you currently have or did you have in the past on this machine including antivirus (AV), trial versions, and other security programs?
I am using the free version of AVAST.
Avast ,Outpost, Spyware Doctor

« Last Edit: November 09, 2010, 01:22:12 PM by cdplayer »

Offline Charyb-0

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2010, 04:22:58 PM »
Read this post and follow its instructions. It is the Winsock Fix utility.
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=65054.0
Please post back the results here.

SafeSurf

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2010, 10:04:46 AM »
Please try this as quite a few users have had a problem and this has resolved it.

Winsock UtilityFix:
Windows 2000, MEhttp://www.brothersoft.com/winsockfix-66663.html

cdplayer

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2010, 01:23:52 PM »
Thank you for the suggestion! I've tried that "Fix". It ran successfully but the results are the same. :(

SafeSurf

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2010, 10:28:36 AM »
Since you already tried the Avast repair and this did not work, then I recommend an uninstall and clean install of Avast:

1. Save a copy of newest version of Avast (5.0.677) for the version you need and save it to your HDD:
Freehttp://files.avast.com/iavs5x/setup_av_free_eng.exe - (English only)
2. Download the Avast Uninstall Utility, aswClear5.exe http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility and save it to your HDD (it has uninstall tools for both 4.0 and 5.0).
3. Disconnect from the Internet at this time.
4. Go to Control Panel and uninstall Avast through Add/Remove Programs if possible and reboot.
5. If Step 4 fails, boot into Safe Mode (hit F8 repeatedly) and run the Avast Uninstall Tool.  If you had previous versions of Avast on your machine, run the Avast Uninstaller Tool for all versions you had on your machine at this time.
6. Reboot.
7. Install the newest version of Avast and reboot.
8. Get Internet access and register your copy or add the license key for Free:
    Free – http://www.avast.com/registration-free-antivirus.php
9. Update the Avast definitions.

Double check in your FW to make sure Avast is not blocked after reinstalling.  Let me know how this works for you.  Thank you.

cdplayer

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2010, 11:19:31 AM »
Thanks SafeSurf!

I will give your suggestion a spin over the weekend.
Sending you my report soon,
Cheers!