Author Topic: avast! service is being stopped randomly  (Read 7860 times)

virgilr

avast! service is being stopped randomly
« on: November 08, 2010, 08:34:55 PM »
This is an error that has just recently started to happen.  When running free version of Avast 5(virus defs and application are automatically updated daily), the red X appears over the avast icon randomly- this seems to happen every 20 minutes or so.
I can restart the service with either button on the avast! interface.  I have performed both the repair and the change process from the add/remove programs menu, with reboots, and the same issue arises.

I have no files in the chest, and have not had any infections since upgrading from 4 to 5.

Performed scan of windows drive with no viruses found.

I have not updated or installed any new software in the last 15 days or so.  Was NOT a problem up until ~3 days ago.

Details:
Windows 7 64 bit ultimate, automatic updates OFF.
Windows firewall disabled.
Avast! version number: 5.0.667

I'll be happy to zip up logs and upload them if someone can take a look!

Offline Charyb-0

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
Re: avast! service is being stopped randomly
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2010, 08:52:50 PM »
This is an error that has just recently started to happen.  When running free version of Avast 5(virus defs and application are automatically updated daily), the red X appears over the avast icon randomly- this seems to happen every 20 minutes or so.
I can restart the service with either button on the avast! interface.  I have performed both the repair and the change process from the add/remove programs menu, with reboots, and the same issue arises.

I have no files in the chest, and have not had any infections since upgrading from 4 to 5.

I have not updated or installed any new software in the last 15 days or so.  Was NOT a problem up until ~3 days ago.

Details:

You don't have any other antivirus or firewall installed do you? What program did you use to scan for viruses?
Next time it happens open up the Avast GUI/Summary/Current Status and take note of what Avast is reporting. See attached.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2010, 09:00:31 PM by Charyb »

virgilr

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2010, 09:00:26 PM »
Basically I see that the big "your system is unsecured" notification at top with the "fix now" button.  Secondarily, I see the notification that the avast service has been stopped.  I can correct the problem by either clicking on the fix now button or by using the button to restart the service next to the warning that the service has been stopped.

Not sure if I'm missing any other details here.  I do have several of the dump files on my system.

No, I don't have any other AV/firewall running- windows firewall is completely disabled.

The Dude 321

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2010, 09:00:57 PM »
I have had this problem before.

You have been infected by a virus, and this is what you need to do.

1. You need to do a boot-time scan using Avast. In case you are unable skip to step 2.
2. Use Malware Bytes Anti-Malware to do a scan over to system, make sure malware bytes is fully updated.
3. If problem persists, then you need to run another spyware scanner called Super Anti Spyware.
4. Then run Hitman pro, and clean all the viruses.
5. Uninstall Hitman pro.

If problem still persists, then permanent damage has been done to your computer, and you will need to re-install windows all over.

Offline Charyb-0

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2010, 09:13:22 PM »
If problem still persists, then permanent damage has been done to your computer, and you will need to re-install windows all over.
I wouldn't go this far. If it is some kind of malware (not saying it is at this point), there are those on this forum that are capable of removing it without re-installing windows.

After you perform the MBAM scan please let us know the results. Can you let us know if the Avast self defense module is enabled? Go to setting at the upper right of the GUI then troubleshooting and see if the box is ticked. If MBAM doesn't find anything then I would try to repair Avast. Go to Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Programs and Features\Uninstall-Change\Repair
« Last Edit: November 08, 2010, 09:33:16 PM by Charyb »

virgilr

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2010, 09:40:11 PM »
Couldn't run the boot-time scan, since this isn't available in the 64 bit version of avast!.

Ran MBAM, quick test- no problems detected.

Running super anti spyware now.

Yes, the self-defense module is enabled.

I have performed the repair action allready- this didn't seem to help the problem at all.  Should I do a complete uninstall/re-install?

So far SAS is only reporting a bunch of tracking cookies- haven't seen any applications arrive on the scene.  Can't imagine a cookie could stop the service?
« Last Edit: November 08, 2010, 09:43:22 PM by virgilr »

Offline Charyb-0

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2010, 09:52:48 PM »
Are you experiencing any other problems? Other than Avast service stopping every 20 minutes

Have you ever had any other antivirus or firewall installed? Have you removed the bundled antivirus that came with your computer? using the developers uninstall tool? I would perform a complete uninstall of version 4 and version 5 using Avasts uninstall tool. And make sure you use the bundled AV program uninstall tool as well. Seems like there is some kind of conflicting program/antivirus.

http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility

Why don't you go ahead and upload the zip files. Couldn't hurt to look through them before you reinstall. Thanks
« Last Edit: November 08, 2010, 10:02:02 PM by Charyb »

virgilr

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2010, 10:01:25 PM »
There may be something lingering- updated from an install of Vista 64 to 7 64 bit- although avast 4 was the only AV installed at the time.  So, I'll follow your advice- although things seem to be a bit more stable at this point, I did stop a startup program that I can't imagine would be problematic, but maybe it was- the divx updater.

I haven't had any other issues- system has been running quite smoothly.

Thanks for the advice!

virgilr

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2010, 04:51:41 PM »
Well, I allowed the spyware scanner to delete all the cookies that were on the system, and as well I have disabled the launching of the divx updater, and I have not had the problem arise again for the last 24 hours.  So, we'll see- if the problem returns, I'll do the complete uninstall/reinstall as outlined by Charyb and go from there- thanks for the help, all!

Nesivos

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2010, 06:03:16 PM »

Details:

I don't know if this is related to your problem but I would turn the Windows Firewall on and if you are using AIS use the default AIS firewall settings.

virgilr

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2010, 08:48:47 PM »
Ooops- popped up a again.  Seems to be when browsing websites- happened twice, with Chrome and Firefox.  I've only been browsing commercial/valid sites- no warez sites, etc.

Trying to narrow this down!

Another interesting thing- I run xampp on my machine locally ( I have no outside connection to my local network, I assure you) and the apache server service is now being stopped at odd times- this never happened before.  So I have a feeling something global is going on here, not sure what it is- I've checked windows logs, don't see anything weird.

Offline Charyb-0

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2010, 09:10:32 PM »
Maybe you should try a fresh install of Avast!. Uninstall using the Avast! uninstall utility. Use it for version 4 and version 5. Then perform a new install.

http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility

Are you using a router? I have heard of routers becoming infected (hijacked) where they have to be reset to fix the problem. I have sent a message for more qualified help.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2010, 09:23:00 PM by Charyb »

virgilr

« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2010, 09:18:45 PM »
Yes, I am on a router- I can perform a hard boot, and I have saved off any firewall rules on the router, so I can pop it back in not too long.  I'll give that a try.

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2010, 10:56:54 PM »
Aye routers can be infected - the solution a factory reset and change the password from the default

Offline Charyb-0

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2010, 11:47:30 PM »
virgilr, essexboy is a malware expert. You are in good hands.
Thanks essexboy. I hope I didn't bother you for no reason.