Author Topic: [Resolved] Possible to set update to 'manual', but keep avast status 'SECURED'?  (Read 4173 times)

dak1866

Hi,
I'm using avast free 5.0.677 on a very slow computer. I appreciate avast being lightweight, but when it's updating, the system still become less responsive. So I decide to set the update to manual, and use ashUpd.exe with scheduled tasks, to have better control on when avast updates. Now here comes the problem, once update is set to manual or ask when available, the status of avast becomes ATTENTION. Is it possible to make it stay at SECURED?
Thanks.

----
The answer is here:
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=66004.msg557080#msg557080
« Last Edit: November 09, 2010, 11:47:20 AM by dak1866 »

SafeSurf

Re: Possible to set update to 'manual', but keep avast status 'SECURED'?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2010, 10:34:46 AM »
Hello dak1866 and welcome to the forum. :)

1.   What is your OS, 32 or 64-bit?  How much RAM do you have?
2.   What product of Avast did you install?  Free, Pro, AIS?
3.   Please check the following to check the settings:
Open Avast GUI > Settings > Updates >

A. Engine and Virus Definitions:  If you want your settings at "Manual" or "Ask When Update is Available," this may conflict with "scheduled tasks." 

B. Update Parameters: all boxes unchecked (default)
   - If you use DSL, you may want to set #2 above to "My computer is permanently connected to the Internet."
   - If you use dial-up, you will want to use #2 above to "I only connect to the Internet using dial-up modem."

C. Proxy Settings: Auto Detect using IE Settings (default)
   - Some people have found that using "Direct connection / No Proxy" have worked for them.
   - Use "Specify Proxy Server" if you use a proxy and complete the information below it for the proxy server > click "OK."

4.   Next, what is your firewall (FW) currently and in the past?  If you had a different FW in the past, did you use the vendor's uninstaller tool to remove it or another way?  Remnants can cause conflicts with security software.  Also check to see if your FW is blocking anything for Avast...usually this is the culprit for not being able to connect.  Thank you.

5.   If all the above fails, try a Repair of Avast: (esp. if you are getting the "Unsecured" alert)
- Go to Control Panel > Add/Remove programs > Avast Antivirus.
- Scroll down and choose Repair function in the pop-up window.
- Reboot.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2010, 11:22:33 AM »
Now here comes the problem, once update is set to manual or ask when available, the status of avast becomes ATTENTION. Is it possible to make it stay at SECURED?
Thanks.

Settings - Status Bar - uncheck the last box
asyn
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

dak1866

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2010, 11:24:24 AM »
Thanks SafeSurf,

1.   What is your OS, 32 or 64-bit?  How much RAM do you have?
2.   What product of Avast did you install?  Free, Pro, AIS?
Windows XP Professional with SP3, 32-bit. RAM is 256MB.
I am using avast! Free 5.0.677. Installed shields are File System, Web, Network, and Bahavior, all shields are running.

A. Engine and Virus Definitions:  If you want your settings at "Manual" or "Ask When Update is Available," this may conflict with "scheduled tasks."  
I don't quite get it. Yes I want to set this to Manual, but how could this conflict with scheduled tasks? (In case we are thinking of different things, by scheduled tasks, I mean the scheduled tasks comes with Windows.)
I want to disable avast built-in autoupdate, and do the updating manually by executing ashUpd.exe.

The remaining settings seems to be connection related, and I am not having any connection issues. (Both built-in autoupdate and manually execute ashUpd.exe are working fine.)

----
edit:
Settings - Status Bar - uncheck the last box
asyn
Great, this is exactly what I want.
How could I miss such an obvious option. :p
Thanks a lot, asyn.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2010, 11:26:52 AM by dak1866 »

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2010, 11:32:27 AM »
Great, this is exactly what I want.
How could I miss such an obvious option. :p
Thanks a lot, asyn.

You're welcome..!
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

SafeSurf

@ dak1866, You're welcome.

If you feel that your issue is now resolved/fixed, please go back to the first open post in this topic, click the modify button in that Post and change the title/subject, add [Resolved] to the beginning of the title so this thread can be closed. 

Feel free to come back any time you need help, to learn something new, or just to ask questions.  We are here 24/7 for your convenience.  Thank you.  :)

@ Asyn, Thanks...I missed that.  :P

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
@ Asyn, Thanks...I missed that.  :P

No problem, SafeSurf... ;)