Author Topic: Is it working without visible icon?  (Read 13053 times)

twogun

Is it working without visible icon?
« on: September 23, 2010, 05:02:52 PM »
OK, I have Ubuntu 10.04 on a dell latitude E6500.  I use Avast paid on my windows systems; amy 'playing / trying / exploring the Linux system.....so I am not very comfortable with it.

I downloaded the Avast Free version; registered, received reg key, installed same. 

Now I do not see ANY indication that Avast is loaded or working....if I go to terminal and type in "avast", is "seems" to do a quick scan with a report....

Is that all there is?  I do not think the icon is 'off-screen', as nothing else is missing.....?

TIA for your response.

twogun

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Is it working without visible icon?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2010, 05:34:11 PM »
avast is not resident (continue running) in Linux as it is on Windows.
On Linux, avast runs by demand, when you start it.
The best things in life are free.

twogun

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2010, 05:39:58 PM »
OK, what about updates?  How do I know it has done so, or do I need to manually run it in Linux?  Or does it update just prior to the manually initiated scan?

TIA

twogun

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2010, 05:50:02 PM »
OK, what about updates?  How do I know it has done so, or do I need to manually run it in Linux?  Or does it update just prior to the manually initiated scan?
Change (adjust) the settings for your needs. avast can automatically update when the interface (program) is opened.
There isn't a setting to update before a scanning starts.

twogun

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2010, 06:00:18 PM »
Change (adjust) the settings for your needs. avast can automatically update when the interface (program) is opened.
There isn't a setting to update before a scanning starts.

I'm embarrassed, but I can find no way to access the program other than thru Terminal - and no options or setting available there, it just runs at that point..........an interface with options is not found...at least, by me....

twogun

Mike Buxton

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2010, 06:46:42 PM »
Hi,

Do you see it if you go to Accessories from the Main menu?

My regards

twogun

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2010, 06:49:47 PM »
Do you see it if you go to Accessories from the Main menu?

No.

twogun

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2010, 11:02:54 PM »
I have found the file "avastgui" that, when ran, gives me a screen that tells me what is going on, and allows me to update and scan the system.......how do I get it to create an icon that will either be on the toolbar or in accessories?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2010, 03:04:45 AM »
how do I get it to create an icon that will either be on the toolbar or in accessories?
These commands will install avast!'s icons&links into the Applications—>Accessories—>avast! Antivirus menu.

cd /usr/lib/avast4workstation/share/avast/desktop && sudo ./install-desktop-entries.sh install

twogun

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2010, 07:46:24 AM »
Thank you!!!

That should solve the problem.

I thank you each for you quick and good response!

twogun

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2010, 06:02:56 PM »
You're welcome. Feel free to come back any time you need help or just to change experiences 8)

iluminameluna

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2010, 11:50:40 AM »
OK, I have Ubuntu 10.04 on a dell latitude E6500.  I use Avast paid on my windows systems; amy 'playing / trying / exploring the Linux system.....so I am not very comfortable with it.

I have the same problem as you: I don't see it running. However, I need to ask, where, exactly, did you extract the files to when you were asked?

I downloaded the Avast Free version; registered, received reg key, installed same.

Which Free version {(RPM package) (DEB package) or (TAR GZ package)} did you d/l and did it install itself as soon as you double-clicked the d/l'd installation file?

I'd really appreciate the additional info so I know whether or not whatever solution is suggested will match up w/ MY pkg (TAR GZ). THANKS IA!

Mike Buxton

« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2010, 01:22:14 PM »
Hi,

Download the deb version, then click on it, then look under Accesories.

Come back again if that doesn't work.

My regards

Offline zilog

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
  • or #f0; daa; add a,#a0; adc a,#40
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2010, 10:29:11 AM »
Hallo,
typing avastgui will bring up the gui version. There's also some script "add desktop entries" that tries to add avast's icon to few most used desktop managers (install-desktop-entries.sh).

There's no resident protectio0n unless you decide to use avast4guard.

regards,pc
May's Law: Software efficiency halves every 18 months, compensating Moore's Law. (David May, INMOS)